[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were Hammurabis laws the best laws? § 8 – If any one steal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: enhanced-27436-1443849517-8.png (475KB, 487x491px) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-27436-1443849517-8.png
475KB, 487x491px
Were Hammurabis laws the best laws?
§ 8 – If any one steal cattle or sheep, or an ass, or a pig or a goat, if it belong to a god or to the court, the thief shall pay thirtyfold therefor; if they belonged to a freed man of the king he shall pay tenfold; if the thief has nothing with which to pay he shall be put to death.
§ 21 – If a man make a breach in a house, they shall put him to death in front of that breach and they shall thrust him therein.
§ 55 – If a man open his canal for irrigation and neglect it and the water carry away an adjacent field, he shall measure out grain on the basis of the adjacent fields.
§ 59 – If a man cut down a tree in a man's orchard, without the consent of the owner of the orchard, he shall pay one-half mina of silver.
§ 168 – If a man set his face to disinherit his son and say to the judges: "I will disinherit my son," the judges shall inquire into his antecedents, and if the son have not committed a crime sufficiently grave to cut him off from sonship, the father may not cut off his son from sonship.
§ 169 – If he have committed a crime against his father sufficiently grave to cut him off from sonship, they shall condone his first (offense). If he commit a crime a second time, the father may cut off his son from sonship.
§ 195 – If a son strike his father, they shall cut off his fingers.
§ 196–201 – If a man destroy the eye of another man, they shall destroy his eye. If one break a man's bone, they shall break his bone. If one destroy the eye of a freeman or break the bone of a freeman he shall pay one mana of silver. If one destroy the eye of a man's slave or break a bone of a man's slave he shall pay one-half his price. If a man knock out a tooth of a man of his own rank, they shall knock out his tooth. If one knock out a tooth of a freeman, he shall pay one-third mana of silver.
>>
nope, even older Urnamus laws were superior, without vindictive semitic tradition, eg for an eye you only payed fine to the injured.
>>
>>1597128
Before the Hammurabi Code, the penalty for putting out an eye was death.
>>
>>1597128
Which basically allows the very rich to do as they pleased
>>
File: Jap.jpg (11KB, 184x274px)
Jap.jpg
11KB, 184x274px
>>
File: 1315339878409.jpg (67KB, 486x486px) Image search: [Google]
1315339878409.jpg
67KB, 486x486px
>>
>>1597139
which actually helps to victim and don't decrease value of perpetrator for society.
>>
>>1597313
If you get crippled in ancient times it's game over, no gold will help you, better to cripple him to deter others
>>
>>1597323
you have two eyes and live in advanced urban society.
>>
>>1597097
>§ 8 – If any one steal cattle or sheep, or an ass, or a pig or a goat, if it belong to a god or to the court, the thief shall pay thirtyfold therefor; if they belonged to a freed man of the king he shall pay tenfold; if the thief has nothing with which to pay he shall be put to death.

If I could maintain a minimum theft:caught ratio of 11:1 while stealing from freed men, I would actually profit from a life dedicated to crime. It's a broken system. The punishment needs to thwart criminals with its severity; it can't simply be the cost of doing business. (We're guilty of this today when it comes to corporate crime, and it's retarded.)
>>
>>1597323
you dont know just how durable the human body really is
>>
>>1597313
At worst you lose some depth perception nigger. Now depending on your occupation the loss of an arm or a leg could be game over.
>>
>>1597097

>§ 8 – If any one steal cattle or sheep, or an ass, or a pig or a goat, if it belong to a god or to the court, the thief shall pay thirtyfold therefor; if they belonged to a freed man of the king he shall pay tenfold; if the thief has nothing with which to pay he shall be put to death.

Interestingly, stuff like this is the basis for lex talionis in the bible. Nowadays "an eye for an eye" seems cruel, but when laws like this basically allowed the rich to do whatever they wanted and fucked over the poor it seems like a form of mercy.
>>
I'm not sure what a mana of silver would be comparable to in this day
>>
>wanting this much capital punishment

you gonna get put to death
>>
>>1597097
>they shall thrust him therein
Great, not only is your house broken but now you have a dead guy in there.
>>
>>1599067
Hammurabi, the original ruser
>>
>>1599067

Yes.

So you stomp him every time you walk out of your house.

So that when someone shits on your wall, you can say "well the guy is there, so its not as bad"
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.