[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not sure if I should ask this here or on /sci/ but whatever:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Not sure if I should ask this here or on /sci/ but whatever:

If human civilization collapsed and fell back to pre-industrial levels would there be enough enough resources left (ie coal, oil, uranium, rare-earth-metals) to re-ignite the industrial revolution and get us back to our current technological level? Or have we used so many of them that this is really our only chance at becoming a space-faring civilization?

I know for instance that before the industrial revolution oil was basically seeping out of the ground in some places but after we used up the easy to access sources we had to resort to deeper wells and offshore drilling. This was okay because technology was advancing as we used up oil but if you had to start again from scratch these sources would be impossible to access.
>>
>Or have we used so many of them that this is really our only chance at becoming a space-faring civilization

pretty much
Look
If you had
One shot
Or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
In one moment
Would you capture it
Or just let it slip?
>>
>>1590609
It wouldn't be impossible, just very hard and it would really depend on how thorough the collapse was and its cause. Whatever civilization arose again would look very different, though.
>>
>>1590609
We would probably be forced to rely on renewables more, which would probably slow the process some, but it could also lead to more vigorous refinement and use of nuclear energy.
There's no reason we couldn't have used bio-deisel or ethanol though, just that since we already have all this coal and oil sitting around it makes sense to use it.
>>
>>1590609
The economy would be smaller, but even if they are stuck with wind, water and charcoal, it would still only take a tiny proportion of the world's productivity to accumulate enough hydrogen to propel a telecommunications satellite into orbit.

I think colonizing mars depends more on what we do when we get there than getting there in the first place. Humans are fragile, we would probably need to advance robotics or genetic engineering so a being can not only exist on mars with outside supplies but also sustain itself and replicate on its own or at least provide an economic surplus for that dream to become a reality.
>>
>>1591654
>hydrogen
We are already running out of hydrogen.
>>
>>1591660
I'm pretty sure hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe.
>>
>>1591660
You're thinking of helium. Hydrogen can be taken out of water by electrolysis.
>>
>>1591686
Oh shit yep.
>>
>>1591654
dude.

>: The derivatives market is, in a word, gigantic, often estimated at more that $1.2 quadrillion. Some market analysts estimate the derivatives market at more than 10 times the size of the total world gross domestic product, or GDP.

I'd wager military capital is 10x that again.

There is going to be a wipe and then new chance to recolonise earth first.

Satelites can read your mind.
Laws just what you can get away with.
Accountability is just an idea that extends as far as it is self inherent.

Intaking cannabinoids, exercise (physical, spiritual, mental etc) is all that is important if you want to be a patrician. You'll probably live, else its probably not relevent.

But you have to work. Doesn't matter if you think you are the Earth Goddess her self reincarnate, you can't be a fat shit, you must have muscle mass and be able to do work (in all dimensions prescribed).

Have kids but don't raise them and figure it out for yourself. The top of the pyramid is becoming that far removed from the bottom that it is inevitably just going to fall away...
>>
>>1591660
electrolysis
>>
>>1591694
that's the notional value not the market value, the futures market is like a bunch of people playing ping pong with scrunched up bills, money changes hands many times, but that doesn't represent the net change in money after a deal is through
>>
>>1591787
>notional value not the market value
>implying pigs cant tell if the trough is full
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.