[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else think that Aquinas is actually superior to Aristotle,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: St.-Thomas-Aquinas.jpg (144KB, 600x433px) Image search: [Google]
St.-Thomas-Aquinas.jpg
144KB, 600x433px
Does anyone else think that Aquinas is actually superior to Aristotle, at least in certain areas?

I feel that people underrate him because he's a Christian. However, a deeper dive into some of his stuff--like his ethics and his teleology--makes him seem more sophisticated and more refined than Aristotle. Maybe that's not fair to Aristotle because Aquinas has the benefit of centuries of additional learning. However, it genuinely seems like he perfects Aristotle's thought, and then goes beyond it.
>>
No. If Aquinas is "better" than Aristotle, it's just because he tweaked some of his ideas. Aristotle actually pioneered the entire system of reasoning Aquinas uses, and any reading of Aristotle's works on logic or physics show that the man was a thinker on par with Newton and Einstein.
>>
Aquinas is terrible. He's a shit-tier philosopher, and I hesitate to even call him that.
>>
What can Aquinas tell me about the witch problem?
>>
>>1585482
Wasn't really a problem in his day, burning people for witchcraft was practically forbidden. Witch burning didn't become a major thing until the Reformation.
>>
>>1585482
He can tell you to take witches and magic seriously, which is honestly pretty good advice.
>>
>>1585418
Aquinas is FAR better than Aristotle

Did you read both ?

Aristotle's Organon is fine in term of methodology, but his other books are filled with exposition of the doctrine of his adversaries and refutation of their doctrines.

While the whole of Aquinas is Organon-tier.
>>
File: 1428268173982.png (258KB, 681x433px) Image search: [Google]
1428268173982.png
258KB, 681x433px
>Scholasticism
>Catholicism
>NRx
>>
>>1588122
Humanity will be rid of boils like Aquinas faster if you stop scratching them
>>
>>1585472
t. Someone who's never read Aquinas' actual works
>>
>>1585418
His wors, he takes the cosmology argument which is already flawed, and makes it even less reasonable half assing the Christian God there.
>>
>>1585418
Dammit, Anselm, get your shit together.
>>
>>1588401
>comic

Your comic is retarded

A jelly is a material being, therefore limited by it's own materiality and contained in a space, thus it can't be greatest being.

>Jelly
>Can be contained in a space
>Space who contain the jelly is greater than the jelly itself >Jelly is not the greatest thing you can imagine
>>
File: god_of_jello.png (337KB, 479x350px) Image search: [Google]
god_of_jello.png
337KB, 479x350px
>>1588416
Not the GREATEST Jelly!
>>
>I feel that people underrate him because he's a Christian.
He's taught in literally every medieval philosophy course in every college everywhere. Most of them spend more time on Aquinas than on anyone else.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.