[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Augustus the single greatest leader of all time? >He

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: augustus.jpg (1MB, 1014x1568px) Image search: [Google]
augustus.jpg
1MB, 1014x1568px
Was Augustus the single greatest leader of all time?
>He turned Rome into what it was always meant to be.
>Found Rome a city of brick and left it a city of marble.
>Consolidated power while keeping the peace.
>Ended a brutal civil war.
>Loved by the people.
If not him then who?
>>
>>1579681
he also spawned a shitty dynasty of inept degenerates. Also, who's to say that Mark Antony wouldn't have made a better Rome?
>>
>>1579689
He was pussy wiped by Cleopatra. His loyalty by then belonged to Egypt and not Rome.
>>
>having a belly button on armor

why?
>>
>>1579689
Antony ran off with his whore and was not loyal to Rome.
>>
>>1579701
>>1579713
>actually believing 1st century B.C. propaganda.
>>
>>1579823
HE WEARS SOOT ON HIS EYES LIKE A PROSTITUTE, AND WORSHIPS SERPENTS.
>>
>>1579681
>He turned Rome into what it was always meant to be.
a Dictatorship? How very Republican of him.

>Found Rome a city of brick and left it a city of marble.
aka spending vast amounts of capital on useless prestige projects

>Consolidated power while keeping the peace.
He literally started a civil war

>Ended a brutal civil war.
which he started...

>Loved by the people.
did they have public opinion polls back then?
>>
>>1579681
He would be nothing without Agrippa.
>>
File: tib036[1].jpg (560KB, 1051x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tib036[1].jpg
560KB, 1051x1200px
>>1579689
>he also spawned a shitty dynasty of inept degenerates

don't talk to me or my wife's son ever again
>>
>>1579870
you forgot the vile nilotic rites
>>
He wasn't an Antonine.
>>
>>1579681
Think about this, he solidifed the Empire's power so much that it survived and even thrived despite his absolutely dirt tier trash successors
>Tiberius
>Caligula
>Claudius
>Nero
In that fucking order. Surprised Rome didn't fall the fuck over when you look at the shit list of shit people.
>>
>>1579681
>turbo manlet who fucked preteens
one of us
>>
Tiberius was a pedo.

Caligula was batshit insane, probably because he saw his entire family murdered when he was just a kid.

Cladius was mentally handicapped but was still decent.

Nero was just a teenager when he become an Emperor. He probably wanted to enjoy his youth rather than taking responsibilities of an emperor. That's probably why he got rid of his control freak mother.
>>
>>1579689
>who's to say that Mark Antony wouldn't have made a better Rome?
He got run out of town by the liberatores, do you really think he would do better than a man who dominated the senate for decades?
>>
>>1581146
>turbo manlet
>fucked
Pretty sure neither of these describes the average 4chan user
>>
>>1581881
>Cladius was mentally handicapped
What, just because he stuttered? He was considered a social embarrasment because he was a physical cripple, but roman academia respected his historical work and he managed to rule decently, so he can't have been a literal retard.
>>
>>1581118
>Surprised Rome didn't fall the fuck over when you look at the shit list of shit people.

I didn't fall fuck over because there weren't that shitty at all. Most of what we know about Augustus successors was just senatorial propaganda.
>>
>>1581962
More like it didn't fall over because aside from Claudius and pre-dementia Tiberius (who were actually competent), they were too busy partying to bother with government, leaving most of the burden to the preexisting system set up by Augustus.
>>
>>1579681
>Augustus
>Not my main man Emperor Wu
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Wu_of_Han
>>
>>1581926
pretty sure you're wrong
>>
Augustus is def one of the greatest rulers ever. But I'd say Trajan and Genghis Khan were better desu
>>
I read somewhere that Caligula was a decent ruler until he became sick one day and turned insane afterwards. Could be something like Lead Poisoning.
>>
>>1581962
Nero fiddling while Rome burned was definitely a propaganda. Fiddle wasn't even invented back then.
>>
>>1582334
This is correct. He got yellow fever. Most of his actions after are senatorial exagerations. And he did a lot just simply piss off the senate(Declare war on Poseidon,Make Horse Consul etc etc)
>>
>>1582340
He opened his palace to the people and led the fire brigades against the fire
>>
Yeah, Caligula and Nero were demonized.
>>
>>1579905
>aka spending vast amounts of capital on useless prestige projects
It's not even true, either. By the time Augustus died, Rome was still a city of red bricks with less than a dozen governmental marble buildings.
It's literally just propaganda from the Res Gestae Divi Augusti.
>>
>>1581118
>Claudius
>trash tier

He wasn't a bad emperor tho. For his overall lack of experience, he was actually a quite skilled and resourceful leader. Not to mention Rome conquered the bongs under his reign, something that even Caesar wasn't even able to do.
>>
>>1582334
>Caligula was a decent ruler until he became sick
More like, he wasn't fucking insane before the sickness, but he was still extremely tyrannical and more focused on attacking the senate than doing anything helpful.
>>
>>1582340
>Fiddle wasn't even invented back then.
Just in case you're actually serious (you never know on this board), his biographers said he played the lyre, not the fiddle.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.