[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How might the average work-day been like for an entry-level Byzantine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

How might the average work-day been like for an entry-level Byzantine bureaucrat stationed at Constantinople during its height in the 11th century?
>>
The height of Byzantium was in the 6th century

Or if you want to get technical with it, the 2nd century
>>
A Social History of Byzantium - J. Haldon
>>
>>1577470
The 11th century is when Constantinople as a city was at its height. My bad, I should have specified that I was referring to the city itself, and not the Empire as a whole.
>>
File: 1471219143805.png (509KB, 795x991px) Image search: [Google]
1471219143805.png
509KB, 795x991px
>>1577470
>height of Byzantium
>2nd century
>>
wake up before sunrise to maximize daylight, drink some light ale, make yourself urinate and defecate becausee there are no toilets at your place of work, obtain some bread from the local bakery which also starts work before daylight which you dip in olive oil, as the dawn breaks you leave

your employer is likely a relative or someone you have known for a long time, if you are young he might cane you for being late or some other misdemeanor, you will stay performing your clerical and recordkeeping duties until it is too dark to see clearly, if the work is important you might get a candle so you can continue, if you get through the work you might be assigned a writing task, few were literate and you could make an income copying texts

after work you will bathe and eat a large meal, you could go to the baths or the theater, possibly drink and gamble
>>
>>1577528
Actually, it'd go as follows:

Wake up before sunrise at your house located in one of Constantinople's suburbs, use some water to wash your face before taking a shit, drink some light wine accompanied by some bread, fresh cheese, olives, and oil obtained from the grocer.

Afterwards, leave for work as the sun begins to rise, passing the many boulevards lined with trees and statues from Antiquity, arriving at some large imposing building near the Imperial Palace.

Perform clerical and record-keeping duties, including transcribing the orders of superiors, copying records, delivering scrolls to various functionaries and courtiers, filing paperwork away, and drafting up correspondence.

After work, go bathe at the public baths: afterwards, now all bathed up, you go home and purchase some few vegetables and bread from the grocer and make a hearty stew using some spices you have at home.
>>
>>1577470
>2nd century
But Eastern Roman Empire wasn't even created until 285 AD and it wasn't a political unit until 476 AD.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.