[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brownpill me on the difference between Catholicism, Protestantism,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1470988619301.jpg (290KB, 1334x889px) Image search: [Google]
1470988619301.jpg
290KB, 1334x889px
Brownpill me on the difference between Catholicism, Protestantism, and Orthodoxy

I kind of understand Catholicism vs Protestantism but I know L I T E R A L LY nothing about Orthodox
>>
>>1565632
this is incredibly basic but:
Catholicism and Orthodoxy are the two main branches that stem from the original united church during the time of the roman empire. they split after centuries of growing disagreements over things that might sound minor to people who are not part of the religion, including (but not limited to) the role of the pope (the bishop of rome, who orthodox see as maybe the first among equals of the bishops but not God's representative on earth, while the catholics see him as the full leader of the church on earth), liturgical practices, language (latin vs greek) and most importantly the filioque clause - a disagreement in the Nicene Creed over whether the Holy Spirit "proceeds" from just the Father or the Father AND the son (orthodox former, catholic latter). also there was a ton of politics tied into this as the orthodox church in the east was subservient to the byzantine emperor while the catholic church in the west grew into its own temporal power with the pope getting in a lot of political disputes with germanic kings

protestantism appeared in the 16th century as a response to corruption in the catholic church that went buckwild and spawned a billion different subfactions with wide ranging differences. there is no unifying protestant belief. it just means anyone who is not catholic (or orthodox, for that matter, but protestants generally just ignore orthodox because their historical precedent has been fighting with catholics). some typical protestant beliefs are salvation through faith in jesus alone (without requiring good works), sola scriptura (only believing what's in the bible rather than believing "holy tradition", hence not believing that mary is anything special for example), often simpler services without all the trappings and statues and paintings which are seen as worldly or idolatrous, etc.
>>
>>1565702
Was there a name of the united church?
>>
>>1565725
Roman Catholicism.
>>
>>1565725
>>1565725
well, the original term for christianity was "the way", then the term "christians" got applied to them by other people and they adopted it for themselves. the term "catholic" was used to imply that the church was intended for the whole world (comes from greek katholikos, which means "universal"), but orthodox was also used because the church was constantly fighting off heresies. i mean, the best way to think about it really is that in the early days there were so many divergent and contradictory beliefs floating around about christian doctrine that you had various different groups all claiming to be the "real" christianity, and the one that one out got to define itself as the "true" church, which then later split into catholic and orthodoxy. both terms were used, and are still used - catholics still insist that they are following orthodoxy while orthodox still use the word "catholic" (in lower case), because they both have a legitimate claim to stretching back to the beginning.
>>
>>1565746
*the one that won out

in short there's never been a truly united church so it's useless, unless you are actually a member of Catholicism or Orthodoxy or are a protestant trying to undermine one of them by saying that your branch is the one that most closely follows jesus (somehow), to try to determine what the "real" first church was. they both were and weren't.

people can't even agree over everything from the First Council of Nicaea, and that's supposed to be the one time everyone agreed on something!
>>
File: Alpha+e+Omega1.jpg (37KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
Alpha+e+Omega1.jpg
37KB, 500x333px
>>1565725
The Holy Catholic Church.
>>
>pill me
Can you at least read the sticky you piece of shit?
Remember to sage and report
Is it so fuckin hard to bring back wordfilters?
>>
>>1565785
But he asked for the brownpill not the redpill.
>>
Catholic/Orthodox = Pagan anti-biblical
Protestant = biblical Christian
>>
>>1565702
>protestantism appeared in the 16th century as a response to corruption in the catholic church that went buckwild and spawned a billion different subfactions with wide ranging differences. there is no unifying protestant belief.
This meme AGAIN
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXJzgtiM4E
>>
>>1565702
>it just means anyone who is not catholic (or orthodox
Lol no, you have to believe the 5 solae to be Protestant
>>
>>1565725
Catholic means widespread or universal, ironically now, but at the time they holy catholic church was the church and was united
>>
>>1566209
That's not even a meme

Read some actual historical scholarly sources or even the Reformers themselves

It is made very clear the disunity of belief between them and disputes they have with each other.

On matters like Salvation, Sacraments, Art, Worship...etc

Even the Reformed who originally believed that Christ died for all, just that the effects are only for some, believed in a model of free will completely different from many Calvinists today
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.