[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm not a history buff and I've never taken a particular

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

I'm not a history buff and I've never taken a particular interest in history prior to my present, although that's not to say that I don't find history interesting.

I have a history resit coming up for university that I'm currently studying for (I didn't sit the first one because I had a crisis with another essay so I got an automatic zero). I'm not really looking for help or answers, I'm studying by myself, but I did want to ask those of you here that present a real and legitimate natural interest in the histories, what do you find the best method of educating yourself on these matters - pure, brute rote memorisation of going over the facts and the dates again and again and again, or frequent contemplation of the information you're absorbing? How do you manage to remember it all?

With all these facts and data I'm just having a difficult time staying focused and prone procrastination.
>>
Think of it not as facts and dates to cram into your brain, but as a story in which the facts and dates are details.
Imagine yourself telling someone about, to use your picture as an example, how Constantinople was taken by the Ottomans. You wouldn't just jot off a bullet point list of events and times that they happened, you'd make it flow as a narrative. Imagine the major players not as names to memorize, but people who had their own motives and emotions that lead them to do the things they did.

In short, make it interesting for yourself and the facts and dates will root themselves in your mind. I find that writing out or telling someone else what you're studying helps cement that knowledge as well.
>>
I try to create a timeline in my head of when certain things happened in what order, but usually not the exact specific date unless its necessary. For example I don't know what day exactly the Defenestration of Prauge happened, but I do know that it happened shortly after Ferdinand became >Holy >Roman >Emperor, and started the 30 years war in 1618. To me its fun seeing how a single person or event can cause a chain reaction that lasts for decades and see what caused what.
>>
>>1557624
Think of how you can remember lines from a poem, a book, a play, a movie. It's sort of like that. Humans are pretty good at memorizing narratives, characters, etc.

Try and pick out a major figure important to the events you're studying, and follow his story through them. Then pick out another, and another.
>>
>>1557624
Read Marx and realize history is simply the history of class struggle.
>>
Thanks for the advice guys. I was expecting snark but you've actually been very helpful. Thanks again.

>>1558123
Maybe in the future, but I only have 8 days left till my resit aha
(I did cover this a bit though when studying Pasolini)
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.