[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which single man did the most damage to the Roman empire(s) from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

Which single man did the most damage to the Roman empire(s) from the outside as an external foe? Hannibal Barca? Pyrrhus? Shapur I? Shapur II? Attila?
>>
>>1553084
It's probably a draw between Atilla and Hannibal.
>>
>>1553084
Jesus of Nazareth.
>>
>>1553087
OP here, I'd say Shapur the Great personally. Death of Gordian III, a young and POPULAR handsome Roman Emperor who was the first Emperor to ever be killed in battle, the capture and abduction of Valerian, and the forcing Philip the Arab to pay a massive tribute to run back to the boarders of the Roman East on top of this leading to major economic pressure on Roman coffers and a huge loss of manpower where the Persians would push and win territory at Roman expense for over 30 years.
>>
Mehmed II 2bh
>>
>>1553132
>Eastern
>Roman
>Empire
>>
Jesus Christ, obviously

t. Gibbon
>>
>>1553165
*Constantine, obviously

t. Gibbon
>>
>>1553088
>>1553088
>>1553088
>>
>>1553084
I love the ancient period
>>
>>1553202
>from the outside as an external foe
>>
>>1553275
that's a big period
>>
>>1553300
I think you missed the joke there, anon.
>>
Brennus and Hannibal. both could have killed rome off
>>
File: cannae.png (14KB, 747x1393px) Image search: [Google]
cannae.png
14KB, 747x1393px
>>1553084
>>1553087
Hannibal got Rome to stop acting like autists, strengthening them greatly
>>
Jesus Christ, the mad preacher.
>>
Alaric
>>
Spartacus
>>
Off the top of my head personally here but not ranked in any particular order:

- Hannibal Barca: campaigned for nearly two decades successively and successfully decimating untold numbers of Roman soldiers and became a literal boogeyman to Roman children; it took another once in a generation sort of military genius in the form of Sicpio Africanus to defeat him
- Shapur I the Great: Sassanid emperor/King of Kings aka the GREAT KING; inherited a war with Rome after his father passed away; defeated not ONE, not TWO, but THREE Roman Emperors as well as being the first enemy of Rome to ever have a Roman Emperor killed in battle; took Armenia and parts of Mesopotamia and Caucasus almost completely from Rome for over thirty years; Sassanid prestige would only be lost when his son Narseh lost a war years and years later; dude if Roman propaganda is to be trusted, turned Valerian into a permanent human steeping stool and had him flayed when he died and stuffed with straw as a permanent reminder of Persian superiority

I say its between these two.
>>
File: Teut.jpg (42KB, 429x280px) Image search: [Google]
Teut.jpg
42KB, 429x280px
>>1553084
i got u senpai
>>
>>1553084
idk i havent listened to the whole podcast yet
>>
>>1553588
but rome only became an empire after the emperors adopted christianity
>tfw you actually know people who believe that
hold me
>>
>>1555720

Teutoburg didn't have shit on Arausio.
>>
The 4 greatest battlefield disasters in Roman history took place at the hands of the Germanic tribes.

The worst one was a 3 year war between the Goths and the Romans at Adrianople from 376 to 378. Where almost the entire Roman military was killed in 3 separate battles from 376, 377, and 378. The Roman emperor Valens was killed in the one in 378 along with most of the top generals and many top Roman officials.

The 2nd one was the battle at Abrittus in 251, where the Goths and Scythians slaughtered an entire Roman army and killed the emperor Decius.

The 3rd Arausio, 105 BC. Two Roman armies were sent to deal with the invading Cimbri and Teutons.
Both armies were defeated and slaughtered in detail. The number of 80,000 men lost has been given for this defeat. It lead to the rise of Marius and the recruiting of armies from Rome's urban, landless poor, dependent on their generals for their livelihood.

The 4th was the battle at the Teutoburg forest, where the Cherusci carried out ambush tactics against the Romans led by a general who sent his troops through the forest in almost single file. By the time they got out of the forest they had lost three legions.
>>
>>1553361
UUUU
>>
Attila and Mohammed. One was responsible for the fall of the west the other for the east.
>>
>>1557076
But West only fell due to Napoleon
>>
>>1556427
Wrong. Carrahe and Cannae are still considered the worst defeats in Roman history until Edessa and Barbalissos
>>
File: 7645119.jpg (109KB, 596x628px) Image search: [Google]
7645119.jpg
109KB, 596x628px
>>1557110
>>
File: 6697528.jpg (56KB, 263x400px) Image search: [Google]
6697528.jpg
56KB, 263x400px
The Poison King Mithridates of Pontus, among the greatest enemies of Rome that is rarely discussed now. The Mithridatic Wars era of Roman history should be explored more
>>
>>1553084
In all likelihood its Shapur the Great, the first one. Dude humilitated the Romans three times, took like 7 provinces from them for over 30 years and routinely obliterated massive Roman armies, see Edessa and Barbalissos. He might not have ever intended to destroy the Roman empire entirely like Attila or Hannibal but his endgame goal simply seemed to push back the Roman frontier out of Asia to emulate the Achaemenid Empire's boarders and frontier, who they based their society off of in turn.
>>
>>1553088
> outside as an external foe
He was technically from the Roman empire
>>
>>1553575
That's a flawed logic.

He did not 'strengthen' them before taking advantage of their autism first and damaging them.

So the Romans didn't really come out of this as better off than before. They lost their autism but they still received Hannibals inflicted damage.

If not for Hannibal they would've received that damage from somewhere else.

Have I made myself clear?
>>
>>1557076
the ERE continued for like 800 years after Mohammed's death and while it was Muslims it was more like someone pulling the plug then dealing a death blow. That accolade belongs to a combination of Turks, a blind 90 year old Italian, and the Byzantines themselves and their inability to get their shit together when it really mattered.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.