[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the Dunning–Kruger effect a thing before modernity? Somehow,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: JENVOTES-525296.jpg (41KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
JENVOTES-525296.jpg
41KB, 620x413px
Was the Dunning–Kruger effect a thing before modernity? Somehow, I doubt that, say, medieval serf thought they knew how to rule better than their lords, or if they knew theology better then a priest. Sure, there probably were incompetent people who were effected by it, but it probably didn't transcend social hierarchy, so a particularly stupid serf might have been very certain about his dumb ideas on farming, but would still respect his place and mostly accept what his superiors said about religion or politics. Whereas now every pleb thinks that they knew how the world works and spew uneducated bullshit about science, world politics etc.
>>
There's no such thing as the Dunning-Kruger effect. It's a fallacy concocted by elitist "intellectual" pricks as an excuse to break down democratic principles when it's convenient.
>>
it is obvious an illiterate serf will have difficulty with record keeping and such, there are many other areas where the truth and someone's competence are less obvious, medicine for example, doctors believed in bleeding patients to rid them of excess humours and other superstitions and people believed them because of their credentials
>>
>>1551701
Probably a cause of education. Medieval sefs didn't know shit about politics or economics. Modern people know a little bit, tiny but enough to trigger the effect.
>>1551720
I'm an elitist intellectual prick and I can confirm the Dunning-Kruger effect is a thing. When I knew as much as the common people about history I'd happily state my opinion in any conversation about the matter. Now that I've started to read books, I've noticed how much I don't know and rarely enter a historical discussion. Unless I've read a book on the specific matter I'm like: dunno dude, gotta read more
>>
>>1551720
Have you ever played League of Legends?
>>
>>1551775
Any skill desu.
>>
It seems to me that all the Dunning–Kruger effect really shows is that all people regardless of ability will assume themselves to be towards a general average. Being "individuals" they may see themselves as just above the average.

The accuracy of prediction would be greater near the average, and much lower the further from the average you stray. The very intelligent will lower themselves closer to the average, and the unintelligent will raise themselves closer to the average.

I'm not sure about intelligent people being "humble", or stupid people being arrogant "mount stupid" as Reddit would say... It seems to me that Dunning–Kruger only shows what everyone already knows, which is that people will attempt to conform to the average standards, ethics, beliefs, and so on, of their society.
>>
>>1551701
most people wouldn't think they could do anything other than the role assigned to them
>>
Please stop calling it the Dunning-Kruger effect. Two faggots don't just get to attach their name to some common sense thing that people have known about since literally forever.

It's like me calling the concept of fire the 'anon-effect'.
>>
>>1551955
Wtf do you care. Are you butthurt people won't ever know your name? A name is just a fucking sound we associate to something.
>>
>>1551966

>Wtf do you care

Great argument

wtf do you care that I care
>>
>>1551982
Well, I consider the effect much more interesting than how appropriate the name is. Also, it wasn't an argument, I was genuinely surprised at your aspergness and I wanted an answer to my question.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.