[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Nietzsche’s doctrine of eternal recurrence and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Nietzsche187a.jpg (632KB, 1464x1986px) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche187a.jpg
632KB, 1464x1986px
The idea that everything you’re experiencing, you experience over and over again. You live this life an infinite number of times, and in a multiverse, maybe in fact that’s true in some weird way. Let’s just say it’s a claim about you as a single subject really living for an eternity in this condition. Every choice you make, you have to live it again and again and again and again. So is it ever reasonable to entertain that idea? If you entertain it in whatever way you can without claiming to know if it’s true, you can say well if I’m going to use that as a filter with which to look at all of my choices. If I knew that I had to have any given conversation an infinite number of times, this will be part of the indelible record of my lifeline in the cosmos, and it’s going to happen again and again, would I choose to do this exactly as I’m doing it now. Would I want to be petty, in the way that I just was petty, again and again and again? And it has a kind of ethically clarifying result when you think in those terms. Why not use your time as productively and as beautifully as possible given that it’s going to repeat again and again and again.

I guess you could have this same effect if you take the atheist consideration that you get one shot at this, this is the only way you are going to live this Monday because this Monday is never coming back, use it wisely. That’s probably something that you could claim to believe and it might have the same effect but I’m just saying there are filters you can put on your cognitive and emotional life which you could hold in a kind of instrumental way.
>>
>>1540890
One of his weaker ideas, imo.

It's one of those "what if" ideas that doesn't really have any impact on what we do, because its scale is way too large, way beyond any practicality.

Kinda like determinism vs free will. I think determinism is science's default position nowadays, but that doesn't change anything. That's especially true in the case of determinism (the fact you believe in it or not is predetermined). It is already determined which persons will take determinism as an excuse to ruin their lives or the lives of others, and it is already determined which persons will ignore it and continue with whatever their mind/body compels them to do/think (most people will fall in that latter category, since our response to survival/confort is stronger than to truth/lucidity)

Or kinda like the illusion of self. It's more and more likely that consciousness is a property of the brain. That consciousness is to the brain what the rustling noise is to a tree in the wind.

If there is an eternal return, do you really have a control over it all? If you ruin your life this time around, isn't that what you did last time, and what you'll do the next too?
>>
>>1540890

Tragicomic

If everything is fated to repeat again, so are the decision making circuits and environmental cybernetics which will giver arise to your behavior and value which are often disjunct from explicit self-moral valorization...

Not to mention that he forgot to realize that a universe that endlessly reconfigures doesn't necessarily reconfigure in infinite ways for infinity. One can easily imagine a universe that goes through some cycles and then just repeats the same series of states over and over again.
>>
>>1541018

and yet day after day you find yourself here on a powhattan lampmaking forum
>>
>>1540890

This is literally just Stoicism.
>>
>>1540890
Well this idea, while romantic, is rpetty idiotic.

I mean really think about it. How can you claim god doesn't exist, but an idea of infinity can? Infinity is amazingly mind boogling.

Even if (for arguments sake) the universe is a perpetual motion machine, someone usually has to turn it on. If you say it started itself, is the universe then simply not god?

How can you say something can exist for an infinite amount of time, yet deny some sort of intelligent design/other "higher" beings.
>>
>>1541018
>One of his weaker ideas, imo.
lol. It's one of his most fucking pivotal. If you think it's weak you may have grasped certain smaller aspects of his philosophy but you utterly failed to see the big picture, the endgame of his works, the totality of the Nietzschean beast. You don't actually understand him.
>>
>>1541824
>How can you claim god doesn't exist
He never made that claim. On the contrary, he said god is dead, which implies existence prior.
>>
>>1541824

t. butthurt christcuck
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.