[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will nihilism be our downfall? Are we suited to be so aware of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: ddd.png (1MB, 928x696px) Image search: [Google]
ddd.png
1MB, 928x696px
Will nihilism be our downfall? Are we suited to be so aware of not only ourselves, but also the world around us? Will our spectacular awareness, unique in the fauna of this planet, ultimately be rejected by natural selection?

Are we seriously tempted by immortality, or is that just what we think we want? Will our technology go so far as to turn us into living but apathetic blobs, for centuries immortals, but then suicidal?
>>
>>1537514
>Will nihilism be our downfall?
You don't understand it's ideal. Nihilism is a tool to stress test your ideologies. If it passes the nihilistic test then your ideology is sound.

Why the fuck do you retards think it's all about everything being pointless, use your brain, not just your eyes.
>>
>>1537525
Do you have some example of ideologies that pass the nihilism test, and why are they passing it?
>>
>>1537535
>Do you have some example of ideologies that pass the nihilism test, and why are they passing it?
That's totally subjective to you. You have to search for the answers yourself, giving up is not nihilism, it's a tool to better yourself and pick out which really matters to you.
>>
>>1537547
So, humans aren't able to function correctly if they know too much?
>>
>>1537570
What do you mean? The more we know the more potential there is to ultimately disprove nihilism. Nihilism says essentially there is no objective truth, but even nihilism cannot know that, it's going off of current evidence which is always subject to change.

For all we know there COULD be an objective truth which is simply hidden from us for now.

But you also must prepare for that objective truth to be detrimental to your well being (computers for smarter aliens, not really conscious simply computing raw data, for example).
>>
>>1537579
>Nihilism says essentially there is no objective truth
I never heard of such a definition of nihilism. Nihilism is the rejection of values and meaning as being objective, inherent to reality. There is objective truth, 2 people that never talked with one another can describe some public place they visited similarly enough that we know there is something outside of them. Our perception of objective reality is incomplete for sure, though.
>>
>>1537593
Well that's why I said essentially.

If there were an objective truth is would disprove nihilism, it would give everything reason, whether or not you agree with it is besides the point. The truth would be there.

You are copy and pasting from wiki, nihilism is a very complex idea and is simply why you probably think it simply mean to give up as everything is pointless.

>There are no facts, only interpretations.

>Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire.

>He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

These are Nietzche quotes which could help you understand this idea.
>>
>>1537603
We are saying the same thing. It seems man has no choice but to craft his own inner, subjective, set of values if he wants to keep surviving. It seems too much awareness in a species can lead that species to stop reproducing.
>>
>>1537603
>There are no facts, only interpretations.
So an objective truth would falsify this ideal of nihilism. For example if we were simply robots created to compute data and we knew it we could take solace in that fact and simply compute data. Sure there would probably be 'dissention', but that would be part of 'their plan'. It would not be up for interpretation, it would be empirical. But the only empirical bit of knowledge we have at the moment with regards to theology and our spirituality is nothing - hence nihilism.

>Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire.
Ignorance is bliss, nihilism LETS you give up and accept everything is pointless, a sort of blissful insanity. If you really want to know about the 'truth' you have to enquire, which obviously is not giving up and accepting the basics of nihilism.

>He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

When battling nihilism you cannot become nihilistic.

These are some of MY reasonings, again, it's entirely subjective.
>>
>>1537593
I never understand why people like anon confuse nihilism for there being no truth at all

To the OP; I think maybe that humans aren't well adapted, psychologically, to many aspects of modern life, including probably some of the knowledge it has imbued us with. Its kind of like how native Americans can't handle alcohol well because they've had little evolutionary exposure to it. It is reassuring I think to imagine that future humans will take these things more in stride than we can.
Select among these is knowledge of precisely how old the universe is and how long it will be here after we die. Deeply saddening is our infinitely short lives by comparison to these timescales. Also too the knowledge of evolution and the discovery of our gene's influence on our beliefs and preferences. This is deeply unsettling as it implies that these traits are not 'of ourselves' but a mere chance happening or cosmic event we've little control over.
>>
>>1537623
>It seems man has no choice but to craft his own inner, subjective, set of values if he wants to keep surviving.

I am telling you that simply cannot be known. I mean we HAVE to do this at this given time as 'the wool is over our eyes'. But I refuse to believe the wool will never be pulled from our eyes, I cannot believe that, there is my subjective reasonings.

We simply do not know yet, we will figure it out and my whole philosophy revolves around this idea and figuring out our objective truth.
>>
>>1537632
Also keep in my if you can empirically prove we're here for no point then that is an objective truth and proves nihilism. Can you do that though?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.