[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>1066: England is conquered by an army of French-speaking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: henryii.jpg (59KB, 480x527px) Image search: [Google]
henryii.jpg
59KB, 480x527px
>1066: England is conquered by an army of French-speaking Normans
>1169: Ireland is conquered by the descendants of same

Were the conquerors of Ireland French speaking? Would they have seen themselves as culturally French/Norman, or had they already assimilated into English culture by this time?
>>
>>1536135
REEEEEEEEEE NORMANS GET OUT

>or had they already assimilated into English culture by this time?
No, several words in Irish are from French (for example garsún, boy), and it was still the language of the aristocracy and courts in England well into the 14th/15th century.
>>
>>1536135
>Were the conquerors of Ireland French speaking?

Yes.

> Would they have seen themselves as culturally French/Norman, or had they already assimilated into English culture by this time?

The British aristocracy STILL considers itself to be Norman.
>>
The Norman descendants never fully conquered Ireland, they actually became "more Irish than the Irish" which made Henry VII replace them at that point England fully conquered Ireland
>>
>>1536150
Interesting.

I know seomra comes from chambre and eaglas comes from église
>>
>>1536162
Henry VIII*
>>
>>1536162
Why do Normans assimilate into every society they conquer? Was their own culture so weak they readily shed it for that of their subjects?
>>
>>1536171
If I were French I'd be eager to find another culture too.
>>
>>1536171
>>1536174
Because it's a reasonable thing to do unless you want to be overthrown by people who consider you alien and foreign. I can't believe I have to explain this. Are you guys this retarded?
>>
>>1536188

Yes.
>>
>>1536135
They were ethnically a mix of French (Norman), Welsh and English, but for the most part they had adopted an English identity, almost always described themselves as English and were described as such by the Irish. They also founded new towns that they settled with English peasantry, so that the bulk of incoming population would have been English. Gerald of Wales, the main chronicler of the conquest, always called it an English one (he himself seems to have first called himself Welsh but later adopted a more English identity).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_invasion_of_Ireland#Terminology

Modern scholars seem reluctant to accept this. I did an introductory course on medieval Irish history and pretty much everyone insisted that they be called Normans, Cambro-Normans and maybe Anlo-Normans, but never just 'English'.
>>
>>1536199
That's pretty weird, since when talking about Ireland in the early modern era the families descended from the Normans are always called "Old English"
>>
I think it's pretty objective to say that the Normans are truly the master race

t. Québécois of 100% Norman ancestry
>>
>>1536222
I suppose it has to do with detaching history from modern politics and nationalism, which I suppose was reasonable considering the 19th/20th century sensitivity around the subject. It seems pretty pointless today though.
>>
>>1536162
>I read Wikipedia and then repost what's said there as if it were my own opinion
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.