[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

not sure if this is the right board, but I'm having a hard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

not sure if this is the right board, but I'm having a hard time finding books that provide real-time snapshots of contemporary power dynamics between nations. Aside from CIA world factbook, Federation of American Scientists, and pic related.

For example, there are tons of books on WWII or Ancient Rome, etc that lay out a total survey of the world, troop numbers, types, infrastructure, economy, industry, food production, etc etc. But I don't know of any books or websites that provide that type of compiled information now.
>>
>>1533890
>But I don't know of any books or websites that provide that type of compiled information now.

That would be considered state secrets?
>>
>>1533894
The bulk of the information isn't secret though. Troop numbers, for example, or how many of what type of tanks each country has.
>>
>>1533903
>The bulk of the information isn't secret though. Troop numbers, for example, or how many of what type of tanks each country has.

How can you justify those numbers without the accuracy of providing where/when? Which states would want to keep secret for obvious reasons.

This is all speculation though and I could be and am most certainly wrong. Have you read The Art of War? A bit old and cliche but Sun Tzu gives you numbers you need to conquer cities and what you need to conduct effective sieges.

Interesting as fudge, all ancient knoweldege though and not modern at all.
>>
>>1533920
The OP pic is a good snapshot of relative military numbers, at least 10 years ago. An updated version would be nice - and it pretty much only covers military aspects of a country, not so much the economics, culture, industry, geography, etc (though it does cover warfare in different types of terrain). What I really liked were that each country's troops were sort of weighed differently according to the amount of training, type of equipment, etc they have. That's the type of stuff that really interests me.

I guess I'll go back and re-read it to try to get a general idea of where everybody is.

You're right, I'm sure there's a good deal of guesswork involved too. But it helps when I hear that such-and-such country is getting more tanks, or building more destroyers, or whatever, so that I can try to figure out how much of an impact these changes make on the larger scene.
>>
>>1533903
I don't know about books, but there should be plenty of shows that talk about the latest gadgets and provide a bit of a look into what military training, equipment, and daily life is like. I'm sure many are floating around on the web.

Like >>1533894 said, a lot of shit would be state secrets, like groups abroad that are funded by either the US or Russia or other parties.
>>
>>1533936
Yeah, I think I just need to immerse myself more.
>>
Don't know if you're still here OP, but you should check out "The Military Balance" published annually by the International Institute for Strategic Studies.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.