[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on the Talmud and the history of its composition?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: The Talmud.jpg (513KB, 2239x1568px) Image search: [Google]
The Talmud.jpg
513KB, 2239x1568px
What are your thoughts on the Talmud and the history of its composition?

Have any of you read the entire thing?
>>
>>1531340
It bears a remarkable similarity to the formation of common law. And given the relatively late date of composition, I find it interesting that you apparently had Jewish religious courts long after the collapse of Jewish sovereignty.

I haven't read all of it, but quite a bit, more than half of the Talmud Bavli.
>>
>>1531357

Are you Jewish? Do you read along with the Daf Yomi regimen?
>>
>>1531438
I am Jewish, but no, I don't do any sort of systematic study, I just read when I have time and energy to do so.
>>
>>1531498

Do you read it in Hebrew or English?

What resources do you use for the Talmud, online or printed?
>>
How can you read Aramaic Talmud? Do that many jews really understand Aramaic that well?
>>
>>1531511
Aramaic.

And about the only resource I use are my grandfather's old copies, and occasionally a dictionary if I come across a word or phrase I don't recognize.

>>1531520
It's similar enough to Biblical Hebrew that I can usually puzzle out the gist of something, even if I'm unfamiliar with the exact meaning. However, due to the abundance of technical terms, the gist often isn't good enough.

I would hazard very few, less than 1% of Jews, are conversant with Genara Aramaic. Even Among Orthodox Jews, I'd guess about 1/3, but that's just based on people I personally know, not any sort of real research.
>>
Do Reform and Conservative Jews follow the Talmud as well? Or is it an Orthodox thing?
>>
>>1531572
At least in my experience, most Reform Jews don't even know what it is. Conservative is a huge grab bag, most will follow certain (but not all) Talmudic rulings, but often without being really clear on where they came from.
>>
>>1531552

There are no Jews.

Sorry.
>>
>>1531626

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1531718

He means that there are no Jews, only the spawn of Satan.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.