[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /his/ think about transhumanism? Is this the future

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: image.png (774KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
774KB, 1920x1200px
What does /his/ think about transhumanism? Is this the future that awaits us provided we don't get caught up on any moral of philosophical dilemmas?
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 450x433px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 450x433px
>be me
>trans humanist
>gets dangerous machinery inside of me
>body now relies on machinery
>machinery gets outdated in 10 years
>can't support my body anymore
>dies
>>
File: 1421733767711.png (89KB, 1270x1138px) Image search: [Google]
1421733767711.png
89KB, 1270x1138px
THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT

>>1526818
>not changing your body every 10 years
Lumpenpleb.
>>
>>1526599
I don't trust scientists too much with our body. They seem to think in terms of machines instead of organic systems.
On /sci/ there was a topic about how to improve humans. Some good ones, and some really, really, typical horrible ones.

Imagine if we would re-engineer humans and only after we re-engineered most we notice a flaw.

I am also worried genetic diversity will be destroyed similar to how genetically modified crops have done it. We need to hedge our risk and ya do that by having as many possible forms as possible.
>>
>>1526599
Transhumanism is autism.
>>
>>1526818

I have bad news for you anon, your body is going to be "outdated" soon no matter what. At least transhumans would have the potential to update.
>>
>>1527058
>Imagine if we would re-engineer humans and only after we re-engineered most we notice a flaw.

Then we fix the flaw. How is that different than any other technological advance?

>I am also worried genetic diversity will be destroyed similar to how genetically modified crops have done it. We need to hedge our risk and ya do that by having as many possible forms as possible.

I think if people are able to modify themselves, then diversity will increase, not decrease.
>>
>>1526599
speculation based on laws we have no idea if they will continue advancing at the same rate.
Im saying this as a fan of stuff like Orion's Arm, Deus Ex, and Eclipse Phase
>>
>>1527131
>Then we fix the flaw.
Not him, but in projects, if your basic software architecture is flawed, you ain't fixing shit.
>>
As a law student, I look to the future with equal parts dread and curiosity. When the technical and biological enhancements will be so extensive and advanced, what will happen in a legal and ethical sense?

Will Para-lympics be an olympics for people with robot legs? etc. And what about human rights when the definition regarding what is human will be broader/more narrow.
>>
>>1527234
Yea I thought about this too. If I make some virus that will only kill cyborgs, does it matter? They are not even humans right? They might not even feel pain. So what?
>>
>>1527342

A fictional case from the game Deus Ex: Human revolution poses a great question as well. In the case, a man who works at an oil rig is given the right to remove his real arms for synthetic ones to be able to work as efficient as those who have advanced limbs.

Should the technology be regulated for those that have their limbs removed in accidents or should everyone be able to get one, just like that?
>>
>>1527342
I don't fucking get these sorts of questions.
So if a person gets enough machinery implanted within them, I guess maybe technically they aren't a human anymore. OK. So what?

How sociopathic and autistic would somebody need to be to think that's a justification for treating them like shit? Am I missing something here? Because this makes no sense whatsoever to me.
Unless you replace their brain with a computer or some shit so there's not even a consciousness, or not one capable of suffering or caring about it's continued existence, they still retain all the attributes that make them worthy of being empathised with and treated well.

Barring extensive mental modification, they retain a consciousness, personality, values, capacity for suffering, sense of morality and ability to positively contribute to another's life, etc.
Everything that forms the basis of the idea that it would be morally "wrong" to treat them in certain ways, they keep.
>>
>>1528366

Not him, but perhaps he meant something regarding different cultural and idelogical perspectives.

First example. Swedish leftism have an idea that you as an individual should not believe that you are someone, or better than anyone. If people start manipulating genes on their unborn son to make him "perfect" with blue eyes and blond hair etc etc. This will create an even deeper hate from the left.

Another one is religious groups. Some smaller groups don't even vaccinate, so how about advanced limbs and organs? Then there will be (not just with religious groups) a rift between those that have modified themselves or are a product of modifictation, and those that retain their original form. Until the modified are in a majority, distrust and depending on region in the world, violence.

That's why one asks the question, "who is human?" In the western world, modified people will be considered human (I hope, never know with courts and laws), but in the rest of the world? Don't think so.
>>
>>1530324
Well you've given some examples of why people might become hostile to those who modify themselves with mechanical implants/cybernetics/etc.
But in neither of those cases does it seem like the reason people would be hostile to them would be because they don't technically qualify as humans anymore.

It would either be out of jealousy in the first case, or out of some religious notion that, I don't know, the body is sacred and shouldn't be defiled or abused, probably something along those lines.
Am I taking this too literally or something? What else could be meant by the question of whether cyborgs are humans, besides "do they still fit the definition of humans", and why would such an irrelevant semantic notion be taken into account when deciding on whether they deserve moral treatment or not?
>>
>>1530935

If any opposition would exist, then it would be against biological, geneological changes.
People have had prosthesis for a long time and it is not too strange for someone to have one.

It would have to go to the extreme in order for people to react. Putting your brain in a robot body, I guess.

It is when we change our biological bodies, where mankind would face the most opposition. Body is sacred-thing and/or those who think aborting fetuses because of something genetic is bad.

If anything, the jealousy thing is a plausible reaction.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.