[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be viking fucking shit >Franks cut you a deal to settle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

>be viking fucking shit
>Franks cut you a deal to settle some sweet land and protect their coasts
>convert to Christianity
>become knights and monarchs
>conquer the British Isles
>conquer Southern Italy
>at forefront of the Crusades
>serve as renowned mercenaries all over the world
How did they do it?
>>
>>1523580
That helmet on the right is baller. What's it called?
>>
>>1523580
>be norman knight on pilgrimage in Mezzogiorno
>have a reputation as fierce knights
>local Lombard princes ask for your assistance in fighting saracen fucking shits and smelly greeks
>send letters to home to all your extended family "Ay yo, dese niggas got gold and shieet, come on over errbody"
>normans start arriving in troves like fucking romanis or something
>start taking land from Christian Lombard lords who are already exhausted fighting foreigners

>get hired as mercs by the Byzantines in their wars against the horse fucking hordes of Turks and shit
>battle of manzikert: desert
>literally cost the ERE Anatolia and enable to ascension of the turk roaches

Thanks, normans
>>
>>1523580
>vikings
>being a thing
when will this end
>>
>>1523587
I mean left
>>
The Normans were French people with some minor Viking ancestry, that's all.
>>
File: quack.jpg (150KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
quack.jpg
150KB, 800x800px
>>1523587
>>1523646
'Italo-Norman Enclosed helmet', I don't know if it has a more specific name though.
>>
>>1523654
FRANCE DID NOT EXIST. THEY WERE NOT FRENCH. THEY WERE NORMAN. AKA NORTH-MEN OR NORSE-MEN FROM NORDIC DESCENT.
FFS
JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE WAS BORN IN 9TH CENTURY WESSEX AND SPOKE ANGLO-SAXON DOESNT MAKE THEM ENGLISH. MODERN COUNTRY BORDERS MEAN NOTHING WHEN DESCRIBING HISTORICAL PEOPLES.
>>
>>1523676
Except that french people existed in the 11th century, they were a distinct romance language speaking population who called them themselves "francien" and that includes the normans, they call themselves that literally in the Bayeux tapestry

VIDF get out pls
>>
>>1523654
Nobody is saying they were vikings (after they settled)
>>
>>1523676
People lived in Normandy before the Vikings ffs.

RETARD
>>
>>1523690
well, it wasn't Normandy before the Normans settled it
>>
>>1523580
Many theories.

The popular one is the "HURR THEY WERE STILL VIKINGS," which, to be fair, does count as the Norse are still big in military adventurism. But also a factor was Frankish military adventurism in itself, consisting of the soon to be important cavalrymen running around the frankish world trying to defend it from perceived "barbarians."

Building on that was that the Normans acquired overseas reputation abroad as good fighters.

Another one seems to be the strange quirk that Norman aristocracy seems to have shitloads of aristocrats and siblings looking for free land. This is how they got to sicily to begin with: Norman mercs going home telling tales of Sicily and how it was totally up for grabs.
>>
File: Dover_Castle.jpg (1MB, 2738x1763px) Image search: [Google]
Dover_Castle.jpg
1MB, 2738x1763px
They were also the best at castles.
>>
>>1523684
Well if I understood OP correctly he's surprised that "Viking fucking shits" would be able to do this. I'm just saying they were really just French, same culture and military methods and everything, so it's not that surprising.
>>
>>1523682
More like AIDF
>>
>>1523676
fuck off leftie scum.
>>
>>1523643
It just means Scandinavians that went on raiding expeditions. Nothing wrong with it as a term.
>>
>>1523587
>>1523646
"The Donald Duck"
>>
>>1523676
France did exist. There was a King of France, Charles III, who granted the title (which existed in the peerage of France) to Rollo of Normandy in 911.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.