[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It really triggers me when I see "BCE" and "CE"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 14

File: glasshelphelper.jpg (36KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
glasshelphelper.jpg
36KB, 657x527px
It really triggers me when I see "BCE" and "CE" on dates when I read wikipedia. Why do people want to rename the Christian calendar? They should just make a new calendar if they don't like it. Not even a christfag.
>>
>>1522748
I like it and you can fuck off
t. also not a christfag
>>
>>1522748
>2769
>not going off Roman Kings calander
>>
>>1522748
Gregorian calendary, fag
>>
>>1522748
Yeah it seems unnecesarrily antagonistic to history to rename it. I mean there are still other calendars being used. Chinese new year is a thing.
>>
>>1522748
Blame the Jews
>>
It's like saying Xmas instead of Christmas, I don't understand the point.
>>
>>1522748
The extra letter from "BC" to "BCE" triggers my autism. It invalidates anything that was gained from altering the naming scheme.
>>
>>1522801
But it's stupid.

What exactly is common era about Jesus' birth? The only way he brings in the common era is if you believe in the Bible, which I assume the autists who made the change don't. It's nothing but defacing markers, presumably to spite daddy.

Secondly, not only is it stupid and useless, it's actually wasteful, since BCE has one more letter than BC. Imagine how much ink is lost on that one single letter, for a change nobody cares about?
>>
>>1523003
It's a translation of "vulgaris aerae"
>>
>>1522988
There is literally nothing wrong with Xmas. It's just an abbreviation using the Greek letter 'chi' which has been a symbol of Christ for over a millennium. It predates secularism and simply saves time.
>>
>>1523003
It's a convention, you dummy
Just fucking roll with it, who cares
It works
>>
I agree, not Christian either. Even if you use BCE and CE you're still going by the Christian dates, so strop trying to be pretentious and neutral and just go with it, lots of terms relate to some old concept people don't believe or follow anymore.

Though if we were going to remake the calendar, we should start with the neolithic revolution, so it can be the year 14,016 and we can feel like we're really in the future.
>>
>>1522748
BC/AD triggers me in and of itself
>BC
Before Christ
English
>AD
ANNO DOMINI.
LATIN
Literally why two fucking languages.
>>
>>1523180
>>1522748
>>1523003
>ITT: Not Getting Common Era.
Commen Era = "We agree for purposes of communication across historiographies/languages that this is the year. It might be based on the Christian calendar but since we removed Christ out of it, it sort of making it neutral."

The Chinese - which use BCE/CE- actually translated the concept best: 公元 (literally: literally: publicly/globally-agreed general metric era)
>>
>>1523209

t. protestant
>>
>>1523219
Protestants are more anally defensive about keeping BC/AD, nigger.
>>
Why do Atheists sperg out about BC/AD but not about January or Thursday?
>>
>>1523172
BC and AD worked
>>
>>1523223
You protestants are basically atheists-lite, you double nigger.
>>
>>1523229

Christians are the ones sperging out, fampai.
>>
>>1522748
This 100%

There is absolutely no difference between AD 1 and BC 1 besides the birth of Christ. There is no reason to warrant calling it "le common era" besides muh feelings.
>>
>>1523238
>protestants
>atheists lite
You're making my country's bible belt incredibly butthurt.
>>
Why not change the days to

Firstday, Secondday, Thirdday, Fourthday, Fifthday, Sixthday, Seventhday
>>
>>1523238
Protestants are the only fanatical Christians left in the world. Catholics and Orthodoxes are in it only for tradition and culture.
>>
>>1523209
Yes but who cares, why does it need changing, other than atheist butthurt? I'm not Christian and i don't care. It's a defining moment in human history so its a great point to date things from. It's not about whether you believe in jesus its about history.
>>
>>1523252
>Literally the days of the week in many non-western languages.
Chinese/Japanese/Korean most particularly. Both Days & Months.
>>
>>1523258
Same. I'm not religious at all and believe BCE/CE is a bunch of muh feels BS
>>
>>1522748
Personally, I think we should either track things from the foundation of Rome, or the start of the space race. Both of those things are faaaaarrrr more important then some jewish religious/political dissident who got nailed to some wood 2000 years ago.
>>
>>1523258
>>1523261
Yeah that is the whole point, "muh feels." Which do matter to many people who are not christian.

Anyway I was just explaining shit to you. I'm not offended by BOTH usages anyway, but clearly you guys are.
>>
>>1523252
SeventhDay reminds me too much of seventh day Adventists. Better change it to Sepday
>>
File: 1470665608156.jpg (22KB, 200x227px) Image search: [Google]
1470665608156.jpg
22KB, 200x227px
>tfw my Master's Thesis supervisor laughed at me for using BCE/CE
It set me on the right path

Apparently privately basically no historians use it
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 604x483px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 604x483px
>>1523002
>The extra letter from "BC" to "BCE" triggers my autism. It invalidates anything that was gained from altering the naming scheme.
Well
Since Jesus was likely not born in 1 AD OR 1 BC, (but in 2 BC or 4 BC based on the reign of Tiberius and death of Herod respectively), how could Jesus be born Before Christ?
BCE is much more accurate.

>>1523243
>There is absolutely no difference between AD 1 and BC 1 besides the birth of Christ.
Negative. The former is the year which came after the later.
>>
>>1523187
everyone knows it's Before Christ and After Death silly
>>
It should be remade regardless what you call it.
A) more than likely not birth of christ
B) makes some very confusing history due to years counting down negatively. Especially when we have clear datea before that era. We should find the first calendar ever. And base that as the starting point of counting years
>>
File: fedora.jpg (27KB, 439x439px) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
27KB, 439x439px
>>1523263
>>
>>1523263
>space race

In the grand scheme of things it was irrelevant cock measuring contests used only for political purposes. The only tangible good that came out of it were the satellites which obviously predate man flights and that's about it. The common person doesn't benefit out of some probe with Boney M recordings sent to Jupiter.
>>
>>1522748
The whole calendar is stupid and what we define as "year 0" is completely arbitrary. Just go back to the Big Bang and start counting from there.
>>
File: 1468451463225.png (49KB, 836x571px) Image search: [Google]
1468451463225.png
49KB, 836x571px
>>1523312
You post fedora maymays because you know that christfaggotry isn't credible.
>>
>>1523350
>all the categories are arbitrary
>>
>>1522801
You like it solely because you are butthurt that western civilization has a christian heritage, you just had to launch a crusade trying to change the meanings of words like something out of 1984. You are literally just looking for excuses to scold everyone and whine like a little bitch because you are too bored in your comfortable suburban middle class existence.

The right thing to do is not to contribute to something so petty and pointless.
>>
>>1523334

Except no, because those programs helped us to understand just how small and insignificant we are compared to the universe at large, and just how vulnerable we are on one solitary planet.

We will expand to other worlds eventually, and the space race during the cold war is ultimately part of the reason why.
>>
>>1523370
>Except no, because those programs helped us to understand just how small and insignificant we are compared to the universe at large, and just how vulnerable we are on one solitary planet.

Intangible faggotry nobody cares about.
>>
>>1523368
Western Civilization has a polytheist and imperial roman heritage too, and frankly without the roman heritage christendom would be absolutely nothing to write home about.
>>
>>1523379
No anon, you are the faggot.
>>
>>1523383
I don't know if you could be any more pretentious if you tried to.
>>
>>1522748

Using 'BCE' and 'CE' used to annoy me as well.

Now I use them all the time because it triggers Christfags and makes me laugh.
>>
Yeah. There would be better points to base the calender on than Christ. Personally I'd go with the Colombian Exchange, as it's quite possible the most significant event in history, and one that's truly internationally significant.
>>
>>1523391
Cry more retard. Our future is in the stars and on the soil of countless alien worlds.
>>
>>1523172
BC works better
>>
>>1523003
It's not even set at the point when Jesus would have most likely been born, and it works as a "common era" because it's during the reign of Augustus, which is far more significant.
>>
>>1523370
>>1523402
This is what happens when you're raised on 2 generations of sci fi movies
>>
>>1523240
*tip*
>>
>>1523410
Case in point.
>>
>>1523402
*tips fyodora*
>>
>>1523402
Cringe
>>
>>1523264
But the only thing they're changing is the name; they're still measuring time by Jesus' birth
>>
>>1523263
The foundation of Rome is a far more useless metric internationally.
>>
File: 1455159819987.png (25KB, 645x484px) Image search: [Google]
1455159819987.png
25KB, 645x484px
>>1523409
Keep throwing around petty insults like it matters.

>>1523417
Did you seriously just misspell that word, you imbecile?
>>
>>1523429
It matters to western civilization though, and most 4channers are from "western" nations.
>>
>>1523424
Matters to people that Christ is removed.

Calling it "Common" literally just turns it into a metric.
>>
>>1523431
Seriously; are you plain naive, stupid, or just autistic?
>>
>>1523431
>misspell

Oh you poor child
>>
>>1523435
*internationally*
>>
>>1523436
You're still saying "this guy is so important our calendar is based on his birth"
>>
>>1523253
Nordic Countries say hi.
>>
>>1523449
Affirmation by denial. A true liberal.
>>
>>1523441
My apologies, I tend to rely on the autocorrect for proofreading most of the time.

>>1523446
Yes well the thing is most of the world isn't christian, and this BCE/CE stuff is just the old calendar with some of the christian trappings filed off because some people are upset by things that are rather superficial. Me I don't think a truly international calendar will still exist 100 years from now unless we find some sort of common ground. Which would be why I also included the space race in that post as well.

>>1523438
>>says the hateful cynic with no hope for the continuation of the human species once the earth is made uninhabitable.
But you know, keep throwing the insults and snide comments around, maybe somebody will give a shit.
>>
>>1523431
Fedor in Russian is Fyodor.
>>
I used BC most commonly, and still do IRL, but having previously seen the amount of autism that using BCE triggers I make sure to try and use it on here as much as possible. It often seems that the rest of the post gets ignored, which is a shame because I don't shitpost on /his/ at all really, but it's worth it to see how upset people seem to get about it.
>>
>>1522748
Whenever I see posts complaining about BCE/CE I just know that they've never studied history in any real academic sense and that their opinion can be freely ignored.
>>
>>1523479
The Space Race is not valid.

Wait until the first extra-planetary settlement. Then we can throw away the Christfaggot calendar.
>>
>>1523479
Says the retard who believes in Star Trek style bullshit.

Once this Earth is rendered uninhabitable, it's game over, no do-overs
>>
>>1523508
The space race is what started everything though.

>>1523514
Like I said, be as miserably cynical as you please. Neither I nor others will join you in that misery.
>>
>>1523518
Yeah but the act of settling on another planet will be the world-changing crowning achievement. The Space race will be remember as paddling in the pool moments.
>>
>>1523518
Please explain to me, in your eternal """"""""""""""genius""""""""""""""", how and where are we going to be founding these colonies before overpopulation does us all in?
>>
>>1523530

With development comes lower birthrates. The UN predicts the world population will eventually start dropping.
>>
>>1523528
But the space race has already changed the world though, in ways both large and small.

>>1523530
Overpopulation isn't going to do us all in though. At worst you will see localized problems in third world nations.
>>
>>1523545
>>1523551
If we're going by the optimistic reading of data. The realistic one is it stable with a slight increase, which doesn't answer the problem of
L I M I T E D
R E S O U R C E S
>>
>>1523559
Resources aren't as limited as you think.
>>
>>1523559

t. Malthus.
>>
Before the adoption of BCE and CE, atheistfags probably would have had similar whiny complaints as this thread puts forth - but in the opposite direction - and most christfags would have made the response of "its just convention get over it fag"

The fact that we do have BCE and CE speaks to the intentional secularization of academia and society at large, which christfags are going to have to get used to.

does it also trigger ppl that Im an atheist and celebrate xmas anyways cuz muh gifts? get used to it fag
>>
>>1524080
It would trigger people if you tried to rename it Atheistmas. Which is what BCE/CE is.
>>
>>1524080
>>1524120

Even though I was quite happy with AD and BC, it is this sort of angry butthurt that convinced me to switch.
>>
>4th year of the 698th olympiad
>not measuring in olympiads
>>
>>1523334
The space race gave us pop tarts, vacuum seals, advanced rocket engines now used commercially, satellites everyone uses even indirectly on a daily basis, and created Alabama's entire economy since Steel dried up.
>>
File: XqzwPV.gif (553KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
XqzwPV.gif
553KB, 320x180px
This is one of those cases where Lindybeige had the right idea.

Rather than changing the acronym to a fucking retarded one they should've just changed the meaning of the acronym. BC AD just turns into "backwards counting" and "ascending dates".

It's unwieldy but better than the BCE and CE thing, considering changing the name/acronym doesn't change the fact it's still going off of a Christian calendar. At least a change of meaning instead of acronym means you can just pick whichever alternative doesn't trigger your autism between the religious/secular meaning.
>>
>>1524149
>and created Alabama's entire economy since Steel dried up.

wtf i hate space now
>>
>>1524132
>switching because it could cause butthurt
Was it autism?
>>
>>1524174
That is far more retarded.

Common Eras literally means "We agree for the sake of communication that this is the year at that time." It makes the whole thing a mere measuring unit.
>>
>>1524213

And it's unnecessary. It's the exact same dating system that was already used as a measuring unit. How is just changing the meaning of an existing acronym worse than changing the acronym to one that's A) longer to write and B) more easily misunderstood (if the "E" is somehow obscured in BCE).
>>
>>1524223
It takes a special form of retardation to consider one letter "longer."
>>
>>1524237
All that wasted ink because of butthurt atheists...
>>
>>1524199

This seems a bit of a strange response. Autism usually indicates a lack of understanding of the emotions of other people.

Still, I guess it is the best you could do.

At least you tried, lad.
>>
>>1524237

It's literally, objectively longer.
>>
>>1524247
>secularism and atheism are the same thing lmao

Just because Muzzies, Jews, and Chinks are going to hell doesn't mean we don't want to learn stuff from them.
>>
>>1524250
Confirmed autism, thanks pal
>>
>>1524257
They're still agreeing that Jesus is more important than their religious figures, changing the name changes, in essence, nothig
>>
>>1524253
Worthless argument.

BCE

Literally in a second.
>>
>>1524270

>using a Christian way to date years means that you consider Jesus important

Lolwat
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (197KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
197KB, 3000x1688px
>>1524265

I feel pretty bad for someone this poor at shitposting.

At least mix it up with some hats.

You can do better than this "Champs".
>>
>>1523172
BC and AD were a convention before BCE and CE reared their ugly head in.
>>
>>1524294
>jesus was such a game changer you date history before his birth and after it
>>
>>1524282

>Worthless argument.

K, I offered more than that argument regardless. The change was a worthless waste of time and the extra letter is just an added nuisance.
>>
>>1524325
>Jesus was such a nothing, I can edit him out of a mere measuring convention.
>>
>>1524325

>the greek, roman and germanic gods were such game changers that we named the majority of our weekdays and months after them

Oh wait
>>
>>1524282
And then add all the times you used the E when you didn't need to retard
>>
>>1524307

And there were lots of dating conventions prior to AD and BC.

The question is which convention is more useful in modern, practical terms.
>>
>>1524334
>edit his name out
>you're still going by his birth
k
>>1524335
Well they kinda were, but you don't see atheists pitching a fit over March
>>
>>1524347

That's because pagans don't shove their faith down anyone's throat, nor demand that the whole of society must follow its tenets, in the past sometimes under penalty of death.

That may be a better explanation why they fucking hate you. Threats of murder tends to do that to people
>>
>>1524342
And those conventions were forfeited because they were replaced completely with ones with a different year 0. If we instead remained on the roman AUC, I'd still find it retarded if we went full retard and replaced it with CE/BCE while keeping the same year 0 because turns out not everyone is roman.

As for more useful? I'd say BC/AD. Not only does it retain important information, but it's also two characters for both. I'd say those are the only criteria that don't make sense outside of "but non-christians will be offended", to which I'd reply they should bloody use their own systems then or, if atheist, maybe they should make their own calendar off the date Dawkins published his meme book if they're that butthurt.
>>
>>1524364
I'm pretty fucking sure there are laws against that my paranoid friend.

And it's not the majority of Christians that are calling for biblical laws
>>
>>1524370

>I'm pretty fucking sure there are laws against that my paranoid friend.

There are now, not thanks to the ruling othodoxy though. This is mostly thanks to a tiny group of rebels and renegades that were dispised by the status-quo
>>
File: autism.png (23KB, 842x157px) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
23KB, 842x157px
>>1524364
>That's because pagans don't shove their faith down anyone's throat, nor demand that the whole of society must follow its tenets, in the past sometimes under penalty of death
Based retard
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 800x800px
>>1524368
>As for more useful? I'd say BC/AD. Not only does it retain important information...
What information?
That Jesus was born before himself?
see >>1523287(me)
>>
>>1524377
And 99% of Christians follow these tenets, but you're acting like they're going to smash down your door to burn you alive any second now.

Did you have like super religious parents and are now lashing out? Is that it? Talk to me anon
>>
>>1523287
>BCE is much more accurate.

Accurate how? What exactly happened in 1 CE to mark the birth of a "common era"?
>>
>>1524383
Like it or not, it's the commonly accepted religious interpretation of the date of birth of Jesus. It still conveys more information than "Current Era" - that is, it conveys at the very least that it is at least loosely based on the date of birth of Christ.
>>
>>1524368

>if atheist, maybe they should make their own calendar off the date Dawkins published his meme book if they're that butthurt.

It makes me chuckle that you are so upset about minor biologist Dickie Dawkins that you would actually come out with something like this.
>>
>>1524408
It's the closest I can find to a public figure atheists flock to.
>>
>>1523180
Why not attach it to the Holocene? Geological eras ftw.

If you want to get HFY, we can start the anthropocene with the first man on the moon.
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 836x1088px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 836x1088px
>>1524395
It accepts the fact that the calculation if the date for Jesus' birth was wrong and that our current dating system is simply the one commonly used.

Remember
Was Jesus born Before Christ? No. He was born Before the Common Era of dating which was started based on an inaccurate determination of his date of birth.
>>
>>1524419
>we can start the anthropocene with the first man on the moon.

This always struck me as being kind of an insignificant thing in and of itself. The space race had plenty of positive byproducts, but the act of actually reaching the moon isn't really of much value besides dickwaving. Even "first man into space" seems like a better choice as a mark of a "new era".
>>
>>1523368
>>1523380
Western civilizations like U.S. or Britain are pluralist so there are many different religions and nonChristian cultures living in them like Muslim, Buddhists, Sikh, Hindu, etc. It is insensitive and unfair to people who believe in another god instead of Jesus.
I guess to not offend someone and look Eurocentric.
Unlike Norse and Roman Gods that make up our days of the week(Thor's Day=Thursday) or Months(Juno), Christianity isn't a dead religion.It' still being practiced along side other regions.
IDK, that's the only reason I can think of to make a case about political correctness. Otherwise, I believe let history be history.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-09-08-20-00.png (340KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-09-08-20-00.png
340KB, 1080x1920px
>>1524325
Europeans were, you bender.
>>
>>1524120
don't give us any more good ideas. Secularization is fun af
>>
File: christian dark ages fact graph.gif (9KB, 363x323px) Image search: [Google]
christian dark ages fact graph.gif
9KB, 363x323px
>>1524247
All that wasted scientific progress because of butthurt xfags
>>
>>1524493
>>Unlike Norse and Roman Gods that make up our days of the week(Thor's Day=Thursday) or Months(Juno), Christianity isn't a dead religion

Roman and Norse paganism aren't dead faiths anymore.
>>
>2016 CE or AD
>not 平成 28
>>
>They should just make a new calendar if they don't like it.
Implying it's still feasible to get rid of the calendar that's based around the year a Jewish magician turned 4.
>>
File: BI.jpg (15KB, 326x240px) Image search: [Google]
BI.jpg
15KB, 326x240px
>>1523431
>>
>>1524382
>>intermittent persecution of a violent religious sect that tried everything in their power to undermine the roman state and religion up to and including assaulting members of said religion and destroying their property in order to provoke martyrdom is the same thing as the sorts of massive and systemic persecution that christians performed against anyone who didn't agree with them once said christians took power

I agree, based retard indeed.
>>
>>1524618
Under what unit is scientific advancement measured by, and where's the source for this graph?
>>
>>1524639
My argument is bad? No, posting fedora images is bad and contributes nothing of any merit.
>>
>>1524650
jesus you fucking dolt read The Singularity is Near
WE COULD HAVE BEEN THERE BY NOW
>>
You know who's responsible for this, right? Yeah, it's the Eternal Jew and the Eternal Anglo.

>>1523002
>The extra letter from "BC" to "BCE" triggers my autism.
This. I'm going to send a letter to Obama so he can fix it ASAP.

What triggers me even more though is people saying "2016 AD" or "the 21st century AD", I want to crucify these traitors. It's "AD 2016" and maybe "the 21st century AC" if you must roleplay.

>>1523301
>After Death
what the fuck
>>
>>1522748
Political correctness is the worst western invention ever.

I'm not Christian at all but bending over ti some minorities all the time is a sign of weakness and not strength
>>
>>1526384
The BCE/CE is for international use, not "bending to minorities" dipshit.
>>
>They should just make a new calendar
I wish we would
Thread posts: 139
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.