[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Minutemen or minutememe? Could they really get ready in a "minutes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Minutemen or minutememe?
Could they really get ready in a "minutes notice" or was that just a myth?
>>
>>1518900
Idk but going off the plants that statue looks life size to me
>>
Obviously not literally, if that's what you're asking...
>>
>>1518900
Pretty much, that's why they were able to confront British troops at Lexington and Concord so quickly.
>>
>>1518900
>Could they really get ready in a "minutes notice" or was that just a myth?
Only in a handful of instances.

Many a times when faced with the call of duty, the Militia failed to as little as show up, much less fight effectively

>Read: The war of 1812
>>
Another settlement needs your help.
>>
>>1518945
Myth. The militia in 1812 played a crucial role in defeating Tecumseh's forces as well as winning New Orleans. They also helped stop the British offensive in Maryland.

What incident you're most likely thinking of is when militias from New York refused to go outside of their borders, meaning they didn't fight at all in Canada.
>>
>>1518961
Ayyy lmao
>>
>>1518962
>What incident you're most likely thinking of is when militias from New York refused to go outside of their borders
I'm talking about the overarching war altogether.

Yeah, they ultimately got their shit together and won enough pivotal battles to bring the war to a stalemate/end but the war itself went on two years longer than it should have due in part to the shortcomings of the militia
>>
>>1518900
A good number of the US revolutionists believed that a standing army is LE TOOL OF TYRANTS, and so opted for some idealized, hoplite-like army of "Citizen Soldiers" like meme republican city states of Greco-Rome or even Medieval Europe. Hence the second amendment.

However another faction - unsurprisingly the ex-continental officers- said that a standing army is necessary since 1) they won the revolution and 2) the whole fucking world is pointing to that direction.

To compromise these two clashing aims, it was to be decided that a small professional standing forces were to be kept (namely: the US army & navy, Marine Corps) while the most of the US military will be drawn from state volunteer militias raised any way they can.

3 events cured of the United States of this Libertianish idealis,
1) American Civil War = Shitloads of casualties caused y amateurs who have no idea what they are doing.
2) Spanish American War = While a victory, pretty much revealed the US Land Army as no better than a bunch of armed cowboys. That shitty cavalry charge up a fucking hill in the face of mausers & machine guns for example.
3) America's growing clout overseas. The navy was up to par but the land forces wasn't. In fact in WWI they weren't even considered fit for fighting when they arrived years earlier by the other Europeans.

After WWII, the US completely abandoned the militia volunteer as a battlefield force. Existing solely nowadays as their State National Guards.
>>
>>1519047
Hold on: aren't the National Guardsmen just tiny armies commanded at the state level and reservists? That makes them professional then.

Sorry I can't into USA.
>>
>>1519068
>Lives in house
>Professional.
They are part-time soldiers. Paramilitary would be the word.
>>
>>1519068
They train with the regular military, they go to Basic training with active duty and tech school with active duty, but they work one weekend a month, and if there is an in-state disaster, they go and help. Like when there was the riots in Baltimore, the Maryland national guard was sent in.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.