[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does the aesthetic of the 1920s feel more modern than later

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

File: 1927 Hupmobile Ad-04.jpg (346KB, 1217x1616px) Image search: [Google]
1927 Hupmobile Ad-04.jpg
346KB, 1217x1616px
Why does the aesthetic of the 1920s feel more modern than later decades? It seems like the 20s were very aesthetically modern for the time and then aesthetics became very conservative afterwards until the late 1960s. A modern looking ad like this wasn't seen after the 20s, 1930s to 60s ads just seem very conservative and old and basic. I thought ads were a good way to convey my point
>>
>>1495155
>feel
Happy choice of word.
>>
>>1495155
DOesn;t if feel more dmoden>
>>
File: Deco-in-Film8.jpg (180KB, 709x418px) Image search: [Google]
Deco-in-Film8.jpg
180KB, 709x418px
>>1495155
I think that ads like the one in your photo and most media of the time were aimed at pretty much only the upper-middle class or in many cases just the upper-classes. The 1920s bourgeoisie and upper-classes were a lot more urbane and "progressive" than the working-classes and middle-classes of the post WWII-era. In the boom years after WWII, parts of society that would have previously lived hand-to-mouth and would have been illiterate or had very basic education began to have disposable income and an appetite for the consumption of information. The media just re-adjusted their approach to accommodate the culture of these classes.

You can sort of see a similar example in how the quality of television programmes and the assumed educational level of their viewers increases with every decade you go back in time. The reason being that poor people couldn't access TV back then.

P.S. It's not just the 1920s. The Roaring Twenties as they were called may have been particularly progressive but look at how high-brow and progressive the culture of the Belle Epoque was.
>>
The 1910s and 20s were the zenith of modernity.
>>
File: 657px-R-26_-_New_Year_1946_Card.jpg (110KB, 657x1024px) Image search: [Google]
657px-R-26_-_New_Year_1946_Card.jpg
110KB, 657x1024px
>>1495234
Basically what I'm saying is that culture of this kind didn't die out, it just became more obscure and received less media attention.

Look at R-26 for example. Began in the 1930s and was very much part of the culture we're talking about and continued all the way into the 1980s.
>>
>>1495276
Forgot my link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-26_(salon)
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.