[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why did every ancient society have advance knowledge of the bow?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: bow and arrow.jpg (36KB, 768x427px) Image search: [Google]
bow and arrow.jpg
36KB, 768x427px
why did every ancient society have advance knowledge of the bow? upon contact with native americans ( native is a meme i know they came from siberia ) they had already known an exactly similar concept of the bow and arrow of the europeans. When the romans met the suebi they had noted that they already had bows, and when the spanish arrived in mexico the aztecs already had the tlahuitolli. When was this invented?
>>
op bump i demand to know
>>
Well,it's not that hard to think up it's just a bigger sling that uses branches as projectile.
>>
a now forgotten city (like Atlantis) that linked many old civilizations together helped transfer that knowledge across continents.
>>
>>1493836
>it's just a bigger sling

Wut
>>
>>1493822
>they came from siberia

lol

Solutrean
>>
>>1493844
This, obviously the ancient higher level beings spread knowledge like this, which is also why farming was discovered in the new and old world at the same time
>>
the bow has been in use for at least 40,000 years. the first arrowheads are from a south african cave, and are 64,000 years old

that 40,000 year date pre-dates even the first wave of migration into north america.

Its hardly like it was an unfathomable technology that has only been invented in recent milennia.
>>
>>1493836
the thing is, how did people think of the EXACT same design? it cannot possibly be coincidence.
>>
Not all societies knew about the bow. The aboriginies of Australia never actually knew about it. The aztecs only started using the bow by about 1200 AD. Before then, native american groups relied on slings and the atlatl. These were still in use even after the bow was discovered.

I say discovered because it was brought to mesoamerica by hunter gatherers from the north. I dont think it ever reached the andes though until the spanish.
>>
>>1494054
in reality, they didn't.

the only similarity between primitive bow types is that you have limbs that store spring tension and a cord to transfer that spring tension to an arrow.

The similarities end there, and you have anything from mollegebet bows, D-bows, flat bows, pyramid bows, cord backed bows, horn-backed bows, recurve bows, composite bows, bundle bows etc etc all with different manufacturing techniques, strengths, weaknesses, performance, etc.

As for why the general principle of the bow is so self-similar: it's the simplest spring-powered projectile launcher craftable from man's immediate surroundings that's compatible with our ergonomic requirements.
>>
>>1493822
>why did every ancient society have advance knowledge of the bow
They didn't. A shitty mono-wood deflex bow is a far simpler, and less capable, weapon than a composite recurve.

Arrows also evolved massively over time.

A LOT of Native American tribes had fucking garbage bows.

>>1494054
They didn't. You're just so astoundingly ignorant about bows that you can't tell them apart-You're worse than my dog is with cars.

At least that bitch can tell which ones have people she likes in them.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.