[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whose teaching you found more compelling? The teaching of Jesus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: buddha-jesus.jpg (148KB, 638x704px) Image search: [Google]
buddha-jesus.jpg
148KB, 638x704px
Whose teaching you found more compelling? The teaching of Jesus or teachings of Buddha? Would you agree that they are both right?
>>
>>1488133
Why are you comparing an apocalyptic preacher to the Buddha?
>>
>>1488133
Buddha is a basic bitch, he says really nothing that Aristotle didn't already say about moderation and minding the virtues. Plus Buddhism is ultra-passive and life denying which I find troublesome.
Jesus was significantly more active and his actions during his ministry have a lot more depth to them in terms of how they can be interpreted, now this of course is the reason Christianity is such a shitshow of different sects but I think that ads intellectual depth, since you have everything from life denying antinatalists to more worldly esotericism.
>>
They both have the same basic message.

If someone orders you to do something abhorrent to you, you can always just die instead of doing as you're told.
>>
>>1488133

I found the teachings of Jesus as written in the New Testament a mess, full of contradiction, strange non sequitors and references we can't get today. And people are still debating the meanings of a lot of parts due to possible mistranslations. Add to that the New Testament is actually based on Paul's teachings, who never actually met Jesus, and it's written in the Bible that Jesus's disciples were at odds with him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incident_at_Antioch

Yep, the New Testament is pretty much admitting that it's a farce.

What we now call Judeo-Christianis (Peter and a handful of followers) followed the actual teachings of Jesus, but it was lost and sadly, we will never know what he really wanted. Pauline Christians even faked epistles by Peter, even though it's stated elsewhere in the Bible that he had different ideas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorship_of_the_Petrine_epistles
>>
What unique idea did Jesus preach other than "believe in me, and you'll be saved from the coming fire"?
>>
I have a special affinity for Christ's teachings as I was raised in it, but I have much respect of the Buddha's teachings too.
>>
>>1488154
>Plus Buddhism is ultra-passive and life denying which I find troublesome.
Yet another parrot who cannot be bothered to do anything more than the bare minimum of research.

Please off yourself.
>>
>>1489103
Buddhism threads bring out all the memekids. I can't get enough of the faggots who think nirvana is just void worship like Buddhism is some corny cult in a final fantasy game
>>
>>1488133

I don't find either particularly compelling. If anything, I would say they're both wrong, albeit for different reasons.
>>
File: Lao Tzu.jpg (41KB, 254x450px) Image search: [Google]
Lao Tzu.jpg
41KB, 254x450px
Lao Tzu
>>
>>1488154
>Buddha is a basic bitch, he says really nothing that Aristotle didn't already say about moderation and minding the virtues.

Isn't Buddha older than Aristotle?
>>
>>1489231
>the Buddha
>wrong
>>
I find the Buddha's more compelling in that I think he gives a more accurate commentary on the nature of the human condition. But I disagree with him that the solution is to attempt to escape it by eschewing much of what makes us human.
>>
>>1489288
Special mention goes to Kong Fuzi. Is there a Western equivalent?
>>
>>1489314
>But I disagree with him that the solution is to attempt to escape it by eschewing much of what makes us human.
But he doesn't. Do you like to be upset by every little event in your life that doesn't go your way, is that a worthwhile human quality?

Buddhism embraces life, every moment of life in fact. It's just that it aims to dissolve the self-added layer you put over your pure experience of the world, because it makes you suffer.
>>
>>1489288
I'd say this if it weren't for that the fact that Taoism is a really hard philosophy to internalise and practise in everyday life.
>>
>>1489360
As I understand it, the aim of Buddhism is to take us off of the hedonic treadmill and to end the continual process of "becoming" that is the nature of the human condition. I don't think either of these are bad or to be rejected, and prefer the more tempered approaches of Epicureanism or Taoism.
>>
>>1489325
Aristotle

But only the thomists follow him.
>>
>>1489373
>As I understand it, the aim of Buddhism is to take us off of the hedonic treadmill and to end the continual process of "becoming" that is the nature of the human condition.
An awakened buddhist master is 'becoming' every waking moment, he's just shed the unneccesary concepts that make life burdensome, the end goal of Buddhism is not too dissimilar to the end goal of Taoism, to be aligned with the Tao through non-action/wei wu wei.
>>
The can't be both right silly. And the Buddha. I mean there's no comparison. Jesus' teachings be like:
>there's wheat, and then there's weed, and there was like, a farmer and his son, and then came a crow and ate all the seed. Such is the kingdom of heaven
WTF Jesus?
>if you don't believe me you'll go to hell
Oh.
>throws a tantrum. Falls on the floor whining. Why can't they understand me father? Oh shut here come the Pharisees! Run nigga!
But you're god! Just call your angels to fight them!
>hell nah nigga! I'm out a here!
>>
>>1489397
Well, I'll admit freely I haven't read much about Buddhism, so I'm just relaying what I've pieced together from here.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.