[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What have famous philosophers thought about whats after death?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: youkantdothat.jpg (110KB, 640x941px) Image search: [Google]
youkantdothat.jpg
110KB, 640x941px
What have famous philosophers thought about whats after death? How did they come to these conclusions?
>>
>>1476662
Hard to tell what their thoughts after death are, considering they are dead and thus can't tell us.
>>
>>1476700
they have a tendency to write books though.
>>
>>1476704
In the after-life?
>>
>>1476715
the nature of the after life, or if there is an after life in the conventional sense
>>
>>1476704
Yes they do. Perhaps you should peruse through the Phaedo.
>>
>>1476721
The problem remains, that no matter what Plato may be writing down in his books in 2016, we can't read them yet do to us being alive at the moment.
>>
File: CapturesReefermadness.jpg (77KB, 1303x874px) Image search: [Google]
CapturesReefermadness.jpg
77KB, 1303x874px
>>1476662
Actually I took a whole class on this from Portland Community College (surprisingly one of only 3? places that teach an entire philo class revolving around death philosophy).
They all said a lot of things, man. Want me to go get my notes and tell you what each said?
Basically just go look up each individual one, but the general consensus of MODERN day philosophers revolve closer to either Nihilist or Heidegger-esque philosophy, that either we MIGHT cease to exist, and that the existential angst of this nonexistence should fuel our joy of life--
or that basically Pascal's Wager: That since if religion is right and you do not follow, you will be damaged, and if religion is wrong then you will be whatever, you MIGHT AS WELL either RESPECT and educate yourself on ALL RELIGIONS, or pick 1 and roll with it?

The general consensus revolves more around Agnosticism, or some form of belief that at least WHILST DYING, whatever your most buried (Id) belief, unknowingly still permeating inside you since childhood (Whatev parents taught you); will come out during your bargaining stage of grief, but with dreamlike elements of either nightmarish or cream dream possibilities of other religions making their way in too.
If this is true (and it is imo), if you wish to die easy, you should live a life of minimal regret/grudges, be capable of forgiving yourself, and have a solid belief that the world will hold no grudges against you. During that period of internal conscious state (which is a real thing whilst even fully unconscious), it will seem quite nightmarish, but once you have peacefully gone with the flow, and your ID, Ego and Superego, have accepted your demise, you essentially become overwhelmed with the bliss of never having to worry about a thing again, and enter what the buddhists would call (and believe lasts forever) Nirvana.
>>
>>1476745
The buddhists also believe in what they call, Boddhisatva, which is the idea that if you wish, you may come back to live again to further help the earth or universe if you so chose...
However, I believe that, after (or if) you've reached Nirvana, and still remain intact (and not recycled/erased), you have a few possibilities, other than eternal Nirvana. I don't believe Nirvana could or would ever be eternal. Personally, I believe in the paranormal, having experienced an unexplained, floating, massless orb of light that came from nowhere with accompanying groans and scratches around the room-- that there is either truth to a multiverse theory and that some form of ghost (or dimensional lapsing) existence may be possible, or that perhaps some kind of fractal universe within anti-matter might exist or some shit. IDK. Haven't really pieced together paranormal theories or what the fuck after total death. I think reliving your life over again, or reliving the life of every other form of life that ever will or has lived- might be a possibility as well.
Anyone else have any theories? The farthest any "real" "scientific" philosopher got to was some hippie theory of a hive mind conscience and pineal glands being activated or w/e when he/she smoked DMT (which probably doesn't count).
>>
>>1476745
eyy, shoutout PCC.
>>
File: Ohaffia.jpg (55KB, 400x572px) Image search: [Google]
Ohaffia.jpg
55KB, 400x572px
>>1476662
You have to remember that most FAMOUS philosophers were some type of religious/spiritual, and that all religions/spiritualities have immense similarities and possibility, especially tying back to old Shamanism. They believed in 3 souls within each of us (sounds similar to Freud's, Id, Ego, Superego right?) Shaman's believed you would need a highly respected guide, or Psychopomp to guide you to your next destination, hence how Dante developed The Divine Comedy using Virgil as his guide through the afterlife. Catholics and others actually do what we might consider necromancy, by giving prayers for the dead, as if their spectre ghost were watching, and even to this day make bargains for their safepassage (hence Jesus forgiveness of sins, and the scapegoats). The Shamans used all kinds of drugs to talk to their innerverse and outerverse, they tranced to supposedly contact spirits and make bargains (kinda like catholics and guardian angels, or satanists and demons).
All in all man, if you want to understand the afterlife, learn more about Shamanism, because it is truly the root of all religion, and the root of all philosophies concerning the afterlife. Then study the medicines and the drugs they've used.
>>
>>1476782
Yeah man, take the Crosscultural Views of Death class offered mostly in the fall, before the professors die themselves. They're old as hell. The classes can be taken online too by anyone but ofc it's more fun in person.
Daugherty and (forgot his name) are really up there in years.
>>
>>1476820
PCC also offers a class on SHamanism, and of course some classes on Cultural Anthropology, and on more importantly, world religions. I'd take the world relig afterward so you can make connections then.
>>
>>1476662
Also, take an Ethics class and in regards to Kant, you'll realize pretty quickly how fucking crazy he was behind closed doors. For instance, his stance on killing bastard children, masturbation, etc, total nut job. 0/10 would not even consider him a philosopher if he weren't a wealthy nut with his fingers cradling the rest of the wealth's nut sacks.
>>
File: 1464148209280.png (449KB, 547x539px) Image search: [Google]
1464148209280.png
449KB, 547x539px
>>1476662

What the fuck is that filthy fucking graffiti and who let it happen?
>>
>>1476883
That's communism at work
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.