[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was wondering, since I am not an expert on a subject of French

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 2014-07-21-28879c7e87ffbba8.jpg (50KB, 376x459px) Image search: [Google]
2014-07-21-28879c7e87ffbba8.jpg
50KB, 376x459px
I was wondering, since I am not an expert on a subject of French religious wars. Does today's situation in Europe has more resemblance with 20th century 30s or with French religion wars.

If there is any resemblance, in what way? Could we compare today's situation with any other period in history? Yeah, I know that terrorism is pretty much modern phenomenon, but I am asking this, because we all know that history tends to repeat itself in one form or another.

>I am writing this from my phone, so I apologize for my spelling mistakes
>>
>>1470506
>terrorism is pretty much modern phenomenon
What happened during the XVIth century sure looks like terrorism to me.
The Calvinists, who were about 5-6% of the French population during the reign of Charles IX, committed hundreds of crimes (assassinations, massacres, plunderings, fires) against the Catholics and the Crown whether there was a state of war or not.
>>
>>1471567
So basically same shit what is happening now, am I right? Do you think it will end up the same way or we are to "progressive" for these kind of solution? Because from what I can read from wiki, it didn't end up well for calvinist
>>
>>1471867

The expulsion of the Huguenots from France was greater than the expulsion of Jews and Muslims from Spain, but is far less well known among most people.

That expulsion reminds me more of the population exchanges after WW1 (with Greeks and Turks), or the expulsion of Germans after WW2, than of the modern problems of Europe with Islamic Terrorists.

IIRC, there were also expulsions when in the Holy Roman Empire some kingdoms decided to be officially catholic or officially protestant. Tolerance back then meant move to same place in which they practice your religion.
The Netherlands were probably the most tolerant country, they always had an important Catholic minority, even during the war against the Spanish Habsburgs.
>>
>>1471867
The French Religious War ended with the Calvinist leader becoming king of France, converting to Catholicism to be allowed into Paris, and then giving the Calvinists a bunch of cities as Calvinist ruled enclaves, while imposing religious tolerance everywhere else. That was the Edict of Nantes.

Then the Calvinists continued to fuck shit up over the next century, even allying with the English against the crown of France, until Louis XIV had enough of their shit, revoked the Edict of Nantes, and kicked them all out.
>>
>>1471567
>>1472014
>>1472033
>>1471867
>>1470506
Terrorism hasn't changed, but asymmetrical warfare has become much easier due to technology and modern insurgency tactics. In the old days, if a tribe was fighting a nation, the tribe would be burned to the ground, and the occupants killed or severely punished, today with the rule of law and political correctness and wanting to win the hearts and minds of the people within the tribe the rules of engagement are significantly different making counter insurgency tactics much more difficult. Also as the world gets smaller with transportation and the information age getting more and more efficient it is much easier for insurgents to spread,move around from nation to nation and recruit people they never even had to see in person. It is also much easier for the insurgency to gain recruits, because if the counter insurgents kill one civilian or damage one holy structure, that's enough to bring dozens of people to the insurgency.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.