[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do the English say they haven't been invaded since 1066?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: brit neet.jpg (149KB, 952x629px) Image search: [Google]
brit neet.jpg
149KB, 952x629px
Why do the English say they haven't been invaded since 1066?

In 1688 a Dutch army led by William of Orange landed in England, marched into London and deposed King James.

The English try to make out like he was invited and it was a peaceful transition, and while many English parliamentarians did support him, there was violent opposition, and the people did not support him. It was William of Oranges decision to invade to stop Catholicism in England and any threat of an Anglo-French alliance.

So i put it to you that the last successful invasion of England was in 1688. Remember, William of Orange invaded with 40,000 infantry including the crack Blue Guard, 463 warships, and 10,000 cavalry.
>>
>>1470036
It makes me lel that Orangemen in Northern Ireland celebrate the time a homosexual foreigner overthrew the British monarchy
>>
>>1470040
yes
>>
>>1470036
>married to a legitimate successor
>joint reign
Sure thing boyo
>>
Surely the Jacobite rising of 1745 would count? Yes the majority of the forces loyal to Charles Stuart were Catholic Stuart loyalists in the Highlands and the North of England, but at he same time Charles did land with a series of advisors, and 500 members of the Irish Brigade normally in the service of the crown of France, while the invasion was also sanctioned by the French King - though promised French reinforcements never arrived.

The conflict lasted almost a year, and included both defeats and victories for the government, and featured the final pitched battle on British soil.
>>
>>1470036
I'm not sure. I think it's more that prior to 1066 every invasion had massive cultural, social and political implications while every one since has been either relatively bloodless or insignificant in terms of wider impact. Most people here in the UK have not even heard of the Glorious Revolution or the French invasion of Wight. It'd be like saying that because the allied invasion at Dieppe had wide ranging effects France was invaded by Canadians in 1942.
>>
>>1471515
>because the allied invasion at Dieppe
yet still called an invasion
The point is people say England has not been invaded since 1066
>>
>>1471519
It's just somewhat of a national myth. People think more that we haven't been "conquered" since 1066 which could also be considered inaccurate.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.