[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How were ethnic minorities treated in the USSR? Was there a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

How were ethnic minorities treated in the USSR?

Was there a hierarchy? For example were Ukrainians regarded as superior to Central Asians?
>>
>>1462373
Belaruse and Ukraine had a status of a nation moreso than the other republics. When founding the UN, Belarus, Ukraine and Russia joined as nations, although they were all represented by the USSR. This was a privilege other republics didn't have.
>>
>>1462373
The Soviets alongside Willy are the main reason why the Meme Countries known as Ukraine and Belarus exist
>>
>>1462373
Everyone was treated the same. Had the union lasted for 50 more years, I believe that Armenian, Georgian and Azerbaijani would have been taught in cyrillic.
Thing is, however the USSR was a good thing for asian republics, that didn't have much going on for them.
>>
Isn't gommunism all about class instead of race/ethnics/nationalities? Well there you go then.

>inb4 mandatory USSR wasn't communist
>>
>>1462373
No, the USSR was really really big on ethnic equality, preserving politically acceptable bits of folk culture, etc.
>>
Stalin was big on ethnic cleansing and discrimination
>>
>>1462373
>Was there a hierarchy
what part of "EVERYONE should be equal" you don't understand

That's literally the main maxim on which most of the SU's internal policy was based on.

Obviously because that simplistic maxim was so absolute (or should i say -- total) it had bad consequences too, like jews had it rougher because of their disproportionate representation in intellectual professions which was considered "unfair" to all other ethnicities. Thus some organisations (like newspapers) had quotas on how many jews they can employ.

On the other hand -- republics that previously didn't have ANY industry to speak of or even cities -- were literally dragged into XX century with modern infrastructure, cities, roads, hospitals, schools and nearly 100% literacy rate.

Education part is very important because it allowed to build communist cells and government apparatus made of locals which is good for both representation and because locals obviously would be more competent in the matters of their own land.

Culturally -- SU on one hand supported local "native" culture, but on the other hand there was a trend to unify everything under russian culture also suppressing any expressions of "nationalistic chauvinism" as they put it.

Even the anthem of SU says "all republics were united forever by Russia" so obviously russian language and culture were overwhelmingly "more equal" than others.
>>
>>1462373
>How were ethnic minorities treated in the USSR?
they were either treated better than the tsardom treated them, or genocided, depending on how pro-communist they were perceived to be
>>
File: formación de la Urss.jpg (354KB, 706x459px) Image search: [Google]
formación de la Urss.jpg
354KB, 706x459px
I ever wonder why some ethnic republic had the right to secede (like Ukraine or Armenia) but other ethnic republic were considered part of Russia and hadn't that right.
>>
File: post-1265499491.jpg (75KB, 537x800px) Image search: [Google]
post-1265499491.jpg
75KB, 537x800px
>>1462728
this
look up "bourgeois nationalism"
>>
>>1462373
It wasn't that much of hierarchy but more like nepotism that doesn't really played in lives of common people like at all.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.