[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/er here and I've noticed a trend. Was the Holy Roman

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Germany 30 years war.jpg (84KB, 640x282px) Image search: [Google]
Germany 30 years war.jpg
84KB, 640x282px
/tg/er here and I've noticed a trend.
Was the Holy Roman Empire basically the grimdark shit-stack of the Middle Ages and early modern period whereas the Kingdom of France was by comparison the land of knights in shining armour? Basically "grimdark" medieval fantasy tries to base things off Germany and relatively lighter medieval fantasy is based off France. Why is this? Does it has something to do with the contrast with the decentralised HRE and the increasingly centralised France?

I just see this depiction in !notFrance and !notGermany games a lot.

Where does England fit in this /tg/ depiction scheme?
>>
>Why is this?
It might have something to do with the centralization of the French monarchy as opposed to the proto-federalism that characterized the HRE. But I don't know. What you think you've noticed probably isn't even the case.
>>
>>1458388
In terms of the middle ages, France had a lot of leftovers from the Roman Empire in terms of infrastructure, while Germany was still much more savage.

As for the early modern period, Germany was ground zero for the Protestant Reformation, leading to generations of warfare and social unrest.
>>
What? France wasn't centralized until 15th century, it was basically feudalism extravaganza because the king had no real power over most of his vassals and they ruled their fiefs almost like independent lords. Ironically the HRE was more centralized than France in early and high middle ages.

Also France is where the whole courtly love and chivalry thingy originated so there you have it.
>>
>>1458388
Throughout the hundred years war France was in a constant state of anarchy,it wasnt til the stability and relative virility of the Capetian house certainly contributed to its slow rise over the centuries as to the dominant landholder in the region, whereas the Holy Roman Empire remained fragmented with no powerful central authority.
>>
>>1458388
Millions of French were killed in their own wars of religion, and there were a lot of weak French kings compared to other lords like the Duke of Burgundy until after the 100 years war. Actually the stereotype of the French monarchy being very centralized and the HRE be disorganized didn't really come about until the Sun King and end of 30 years war, respectively. Before that there wasn't much different in practice.

Although the question of what real life kingdom the typical fantasy setting is based off is one I wonder a lot. I used to think it was England, but after getting into medevial history I decided it was France, but then realized the HRE has a lot of the themes as well.

It's like a combination of French and German culture, which is actually what Anglo culture is. Or perhaps the empire of Charlemagne is the most accurate kingdom fantasy is based off, since it had both.
>>
>>1458388
No, medieval france was in no way more idyllic than the HRE. My guess is that most of the monsters and tropes found in Grimdark are derived from German folklore (Brothers Grimm etc.), therefore they give it a central European aesthetic.
>>
>>1458388
Simple

Germany - Grimm's Fairytales
France/England - Arthurian Cycles
>>
File: 1469163741713.gif (460KB, 220x132px) Image search: [Google]
1469163741713.gif
460KB, 220x132px
>>1458388
France kept waiting to float away into the sea but never did.
>>
Supposedly when the Germans surrendered at the end of WW2, Doenitz said something to the effect of "it could always be worse, like the 30 years war."
>>
>>1458650
In the 60s there was a poll asking people in West Germany about what's the worst catastrophe in German history, most of them said the 30 years war despite being only 20 years removed from WW2. Really makes you think why schools and the media focused on WW2 so hard in the last few decades.
>>
>>1458938
That might have something to do with the depth of German history, and their being aware of it.

Like in the US, most people have some idea of the insane amount of death surround the US civil war, although there are probably plenty of tards would would say that 9/11 was the worst catastrophe, for example.
>>
>>1458938
Yeah, I really wonder why we focus on WW2 so much. I wonder what could possibly have happened during that time that we need to be reminded of.
>>
>>1458938
It's because Germany recovered fairly quickly after WW2. Thirty year's war left some really devastating consequences in German lands, an apocalyptic scenario of 30 years of non-stop brutal war with wild mercenary bands roaming everywhere. Even after the war has ended these bands still raped and pillaged around for some time.
>>
>>1458966
>>1458970
It's pretty nauseating that the entirety of German history is viewed through WW2 / Hitler spectrum.

Nietzsche? Oh right, that guy Hitler borrowed his ubermensch concept from!
Wagner? Yeah, that dude who inspired Hitler with his romantic nationalism and anti semitism!
Luther? Angry, loud German who hated Jews. Literally Hitler.
>>
>>1458988
Germany could really use a re-branding, or they could balkanize. Bring back the emphasis on regional identities, and it would help diminish the German=Nazi meme that still sticks in people's minds.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.