[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: charles_v.jpg (55KB, 584x707px) Image search: [Google]
charles_v.jpg
55KB, 584x707px
>"I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men and German to my horse."
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1457315
Translation: "My jaw feels funny."
>>
>>1457315
Why was he so based, lads?
>>
>>1457328
lmao
>>
>>1457335
>>
>>1457315
>French to men
gay
>>
>>1457315
I don't get it, he controlled no French speaking territories except for modern Belgium, who are these men he spoke French to? I'm pretty sure most of the people he spoke to was German, Spanish or Italian aristocracy.
>>
>>1457345
>English
Cuck language

When foreigner speak english it sound manly but when an anglo speak english it sound like you're sucking a fuckton of cocks.
>>
>>1457356
French was the language of courts

Only barley farming peasants spoke german
>>
>>1457356
>who are these men he spoke French to?

probably Frenchmen.
>>
>>1457356
Back in those days, french was the "lingua franca" of Europe. Every nobleman, writer, philosopher or tradesman was expected to have some notion of french, the exact same way people of every nationality speaks english on 4chin.
>>
>>1457328
Is John Kerry a secret Hapsburg?
>>
>Italian to Women
L-LEWD

DELETE THIS
>>
>>1457315
Spanish for the church
Italian for culture
French for the law
German for the workers.
>>
>>1458000
Spanish in his intimacy with God, his mother tongue
Italian as the language of romance
France as the language of diplomacy
And german for the animals they are
>>
>>1457315
t. Jakob Fugger's bitch
>>
>>1457315
>What did he mean by this?

>Charles V may have said something in this general format, but not with this specific wording. Variants have been quoted for centuries, and the earliest known citation, itself a secondary source dating from 40 years after his death, gives two versions that both differ from the modern one. Girolamo Fabrizi d'Acquapendente's 1601 De Locutione gives: Unde solebat, ut audio, Carolus V Imperator dicere, Germanorum linguam esse militarem: Hispanorum amatoriam: Italorum oratoriam: Gallorum nobilem ("When Emperor Charles V used to say, as I hear, that the language of the Germans was military; that of the Spaniards pertained to love; that of the Italians was oratorical; that of the French was noble").

>Alius vero, qui Germanus erat, retulit, eundem Carolum Quintum dicere aliquando solitum esse; Si loqui cum Deo oporteret, se Hispanice locuturum, quod lingua Hispanorum gravitatem maiestatemque prae se ferat; si cum amicis, Italice, quod Italorum dialectus familiaris sit; si cui blandiendum esset, Gallice, quod illorum lingua nihil blandius; si cui minandum aut asperius loquendum, Germanice, quod tota eorum lingua minax, aspera sit ac vehemens (Indeed another, who was German, related that the same Charles V sometimes used to say: if it was necessary to talk with God, that he would talk in Spanish, which language suggests itself for the graveness and majesty of the Spaniards; if with friends, in Italian, for the dialect of the Italians was one of familiarity; if to caress someone, in French, for no language is tenderer than theirs; if to threaten someone or to speak harshly to them, in German, for their entire language is threatening, rough and vehement").

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Charles_V,_Holy_Roman_Emperor
>>
>>1457356
French was his native language.
>>
>>1458007
Spanish was not his mother tongue
>>
germanic languages are better than Spanish to give orders to animals.

I know Spanish speakers who when training their dogs to obey orders yell "sit" instead of "sientate, or quieto" or something like that.
Harsh sounding monosyllabic words are good to give orders to animals or soldiers.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.