[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if Philadelphia was the US capital instead of Washington?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 2

File: philadelphia_pa_map[1].gif (26KB, 440x280px) Image search: [Google]
philadelphia_pa_map[1].gif
26KB, 440x280px
What if Philadelphia was the US capital instead of Washington? Specifically, how would that change the Civil War?

Would Maryland have been able to secede? Would the main battleground still be in Virginia, or further north?
>>
>>1455706
>Would Maryland secede
Probably not. The voting was by no means certain when the Feds shut down the Maryland legislature.

Only places like Baltimore and the more Southern parts of Maryland were pro-Secession. Most of the State was apathetic or outright pro-Union.

That being said, I think more fighting would have occurred in Maryland than Northern Virginia.

I also suspect that Philadelphia being the capital would have been a good thing for the Confederacy as it would give them a lot more room to maneuver and Northern Virginia/The Shenandoah valley would be practically intact and able to supply the Army of Northern Virginia more easily.

On the other hand, the Peninsula campaign may never have happened leaving RE Lee in obscurity, whatever battle takes the place of Bull Run might not have been favorable to the South, and Jackson might not have been launched into fame.

Ultimately there are too many what-ifs in this scenario. My gut feeling is that a Union capital in Philly would have overall been a good thing for the South as long as they could win a number of early victories in Maryland.
>>
>>1457702

Plus they would be able to actually defend the Potomac line.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.