[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does the whole "Roman Catholicism being a pagan religion"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (62KB, 234x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 234x400px
Does the whole "Roman Catholicism being a pagan religion" have any historical merit, or is this just a Protestant meme?
>>
The Latin Vulgate translation of the Bible complied by the Catholic hegemony most certainly brought about significant theological alterations to Biblical scripture compared to the Hebrew and Greek translations of the Bible, and it's also clear that Catholicism was created in order to consolidate European paganism with the Christian Tradition by incorporating certain aspects of it into it's cultural expression. Catholicism was trying to unify a shifting population.
>>
What's the definition of paganism anyway? As I understand it's an umbrella term of Christians for non-christians, or non-Abrahamics at least
How would it make sense for the inventors of the term that basically means "not-us" to be it
Sounds like memes to me
>>
>>1445949
Paganism could most accurately be defined as the profane polytheistic beliefs outside of Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, Shinto, Sikhism, Taoism, and Zoroastrianism.
>>
>>1445947
> it's also clear that Catholicism was created in order to consolidate European paganism with the Christian Tradition by incorporating certain aspects of it into it's cultural expression

well not really, few would deny Catholicism was influenced by the pagan religions surrounding it, but much of that dates to early Christianity, before even the council of Nicene. Most of those same traditions are in Orthodoxy and Eastern forms of Christianity.
>>
>>1446074
The way I see it, the faith of Yahweh is a matter of the spiritual inheritance of the Kingdom of Israel. Catholicism was instituted in order to shift the inheritance of Israel from the lands of the Middle East into Europe, and at the same time create a theological conception of God that began to dismantle the concept of the Trinity, or God be comprised of three distinct spiritual personalities or characteristics.
>>
>>1445926
pharisees calling the kettle black
>>
>>1445926
Not pagan but still heavily influenced by pagan customs and rites. When you look into the history behind Constantine, as well as the cult of Sol Invictus, there are clear parallels between the two. It could be seen as a syncretic religion combining Hellenic Judaism and the traditional Roman gods.
>>
>>1445926
Protestant meme
>>
>>1445957
>Shinto
>Hindu

Are you moving goalposts here?
These religions are deemed pagan by most christians.

Hell, if roman platonists praying to Jupiter would szrvive to this day you would probably exclude them from paganism as well because their theology would not fit your image of rockworshipping polytheists who trade a sacrifieced goat for a good magic harvest from Zog'durr son of Hurr.
>>
File: sol-invictus&mithras.jpg (240KB, 788x674px) Image search: [Google]
sol-invictus&mithras.jpg
240KB, 788x674px
>>1445926
>a Protestant meme?
If Catholicism is, then so is Protestantism.
They (except notably 7th Day Adventists) all worship on SUNday.

BEHOLD!
[1} And YHWH said unto the Christians, thou shalt foresake Me and My Sabbath and worship on the Holy Day of Sol Invictus.
[2} I shall leave the true Sabbath to the Jews and the Muslims.
[3] The joke is on thee.
>>
>>1445926
Christianity borrows from many pagan cultures
So does Judaism
How is this even a question it's a known fact
The question is how this affects our understanding of the bible
>>
>>1445949
There some things that seems to go along with most pagan religions

Pagans believe that the gods aren't the most powerful beings In the universe

In Christianity God is the most powerful thing in existence and his will is done through his will

In pagan religions the universe comes from a magical source that spawns everything
This means that gods are ultimately have to answer to the magical source meaning they are not all powerful

Pagans see the world as neutral to humans and evil originals from the magical source
Also evil is a real thing
While those who believe in God see the world as good, this is reinforced by Genesis
Think when God says "and it was good" after he creates anything
Also evil only exist within humans and has no real existence outside of humans
I forget but threre are more things that makes them differnt
>>
File: image.gif (107KB, 290x397px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
107KB, 290x397px
>tfw your based sun god was appropriated by followers of a dirty semite hippie

Why didn't you stop it?
>>
Second temple "Judaism" was already a syncretic religion before the Christ-cult developed. Every major religion has had influences and changed over time. There is no specific time when you can say, Here, this is this religion in its original state, except maybe modern religions like Scientology.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.