[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /his/ like stoicism? Trying to be stoic in my day to day

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (73KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
73KB, 1280x720px
Does /his/ like stoicism?

Trying to be stoic in my day to day life has actually helped me a lot.
>>
>>1441611
It's pretty good shit, almost like a proto-nihilism
>>
Stirnerian egoist myself, but I like the Stoics quite a lot. I think they have some excellent ideas that are worth incorporating into your day to day life.
>>
Nah Epicureanism fampai
>>
inb4 christposters get mad that they borrowed most of their religion from stoic philosophy
>>
Stoicism is a very close relation, philosophically speaking, of Zen Buddhism.
>>
>>1442016
They didn't really. Stoicism focuses primarily on exercises of willpower and self-denial as a means to become a stronger person, rather than to glorify God or for some sort of eternal paradise.
>>
>>1442019
Frederic Engels called Seneca `an uncle of Christianity`. Tertullian stressed that Seneca had been `saepe noster` (`often of ours`)
>>
>>1442019
Early Christians fabricated letters between Seneca&Paul, and interpolated the Enchiridion to replace all referrences to Socrates with Paul as well. Think less about God and more about Christian ideals.
>>
>>1442034
>>1442036
Fair, but I still maintain that it's more just their ideals shared common ground, rather than outright thievery. You can see the groundwork for most of Christianity's ideals already present in Judaism.

But I'm not educated enough on the subject to really back it up, so I'll leave the point be.
>>
>>1441958
>Stirnerian Egoist

You could just say that you're a virgin
>>
>>1442165
But I don't enjoy lying.
>>
>>1441611
I am a Stoic.
>>
>trying to be
You're doing it wrong
>>
Now looking into it this is what I've been doing for some time, I didn't know it was stoicism that I was unintentionally practicing.
>>
>>1442425
Without defining yourself a strong and clear ethical code you will easily change how you act without even noticing.
>>
>>1442019
Also it was more about control than trying to paint indulgence as evil.

Its fine to endulge, as long as you rule it rather than allowing it to rule you, especially to the detriment of your health.
>>
>>1442938
Stoicism is less harsh on indulging than Epicureanism, but not a lot.
A Stoic would not do something for the sole sake of pleasure. Doing something for the sole sake of pleasure makes you weaker.
But if he did something for virtuous reasons and felt pleasure in doing so, there is no problem with this.
>>
Marcus Aurelius is goat stoic.

He philosophized about how to get out of bed in morning. Why you should just go to work and get on with it. And that you will be dead soon and everyone else.
>>
>>1443390
Yeah, but there isn't a moral duality added to it. They avoid hedonism because you risk making yourself vulnerable, not because its morally wrong.

Say if you're going to reward yourself with an indulgence, like buying something you know you could afford, that wouldn't be for the sole sake of pleasure i.e hedonism, it would be for the sake of reward.

That's what I meant, there's nothing wrong with the indulgences themselves, its a lack of self control and reason that's dangerous.

No?
>>
>>1443490
Making yourself weaker would be considered morally wrong by Stoics. Their ethics are more complete than modern liberal ethics because of this.

Buying indulgences as a reward is incompatible with Stoicism. Being virtuous is the only reward you should care about.
>>
>>1443600 Everything in moderation is what >>1443490 is essentially getting at (I think) , and provided that doesn't include vices it is fine in Stoicism, limiting yourself enables you to apprieciate things more when you have them while also being able to go without them.
>>
>>1443683
In Stoicism, the only thing you have that you should value is virtue.

You should avoid the dependence on external things, since they are fleeting.
>>
>>1443805
>In Stoicism, the only thing you have that you should value is virtue.

Right, but that doesn't mean you abstain completely from things you like. A starving man will value food, should he starve himself to death because he values his own survival?

>You should avoid the dependence on external things, since they are fleeting.
>while also being able to go without them.

No Stoic instructed people not to go without everything they don't need, just to be prepared to lose anything because it wasn't theirs to begin with and be greatful that you had it to begin with.
>>
>>1443826
No Stoic instructed people to go without everything they don't need, rather.
>>
>>1441611
School of Life is okay desu. It's no where near as bad as wise-crack. Even going as far as to call communism a tragedy in their bad taste episode.
>>
>>1443805
Which is exactly what I said.
>>
>>1443805
What is Virtue?

Who decides?
>>
>>1446352
for you
>>
Practicing Stoicism is a rewarding experience. It has helped me deal with substance abuse and the short sighted hedonism of modern times.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.