[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Soon to be a history student at university here - how do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: clio.jpg (44KB, 436x394px)
clio.jpg
44KB, 436x394px
Soon to be a history student at university here - how do you organise your notes at university?

In a degree like history or other humanities subjects, there's bound to be a lot of note-taking. Realistically, writing all your lecture notes, seminar notes and reading notes in one notebook would be disorganised, especially when you're studying more than one module.

>inb4 take this to /adv/

/adv/ won't reply to anything unrelated to relationships and cuckoldry.
>>
>taking notes
>>
File: 22lecturelarge.jpg (377KB, 1145x930px) Image search: [Google]
22lecturelarge.jpg
377KB, 1145x930px
C:\Users\Anon\Documents\history stuff

One word document per class. Start new page for each lecture, all dated at the top. Key words and test info bolded.
>>
>>1431765
Don't bother taking notes, you'll learn most of the stuff from books or internet anyway.
>>
I use one Moleskin notebook per semester. Every day, I write the day at the top of a new page. Then I have a code for the class the notes correspond to (Western Civilization would be WC, for example) and the notes follow. I take my notes in a narrative paragraph style which I don't really recommend. I include headers in paragraphs and do a lot of underlining. Next class comes, I put the next class right beneath it on the same page if there is room.

It's not ideal and I would not recommend it for 99% of people. I actually work in a program that is basically group tutoring for a general education history course that focuses a lot on study skills. From that, what I would advise is a 5 subject notebook. They're for exactly that purpose. If they're too flimsy or you need more divisions, get a binder of appropriate size, get divider tabs, and add as much notebook paper as is needed. In some ways I'd recommend the binder more simply because you can add any papers from the class alongside your notes, it's more flexible if you need more or less space, and it's harder / sturdier.

If I can give any more advice I'd be happy to.
>>
>>1431767
>>1431839

Who the fuck doesn't take notes? How does that work? It's university. Idk I haven't finished undergrad yet but I've absolutely needed notes as has every other history major I have ever met. Is it a non US thing? Is my history dept just very hard?
>>
>>1431765
>Realistically, writing all your lecture notes, seminar notes and reading notes in one notebook would be disorganised, especially when you're studying more than one module.

I do literally that.
>>
>>1432005

Also I missed the part on different types of notes. If you follow the binder method I think that'd be pretty easy. You could do a number of things. The most obvious is just one section for lecture notes, another for reading, etc. But another aspect is internal organization of those sections. You could organize your notes chronologically, so if your memories are strongly linked to time and place of learning the surroundings will place the notes into your life timeline. Could do it by subject matter, and try to group things according to concepts which could link various passages together which forces you to consider the relationships between what you're learning and help integrate information into the grander scheme of what's going on.

Ultimately, though, most students, despite their best efforts, will fail to maintain their organization properly by the end of the semester and that's totally fine.
>>
>>1432026
Me too.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.