[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was a convinced buddhist until I started reading some of Rudolf

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (42KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 500x375px
I was a convinced buddhist until I started reading some of Rudolf Steiner's works which deeply struck me.
I've started actually believing in Christ lately because what Steiner's saying makes perfect sense with me and I feel that christianity and buddhism actually complement eachother greatly and aim towards the same goal.
I'm really not talking about the dogmatic christianity or even dogmatic buddhism here (such as the pure land schools which seem like the creation of unintelligent human beings to me), but about the essence of it.
I don't understand why many christians believe that you basically live once with no explanation for inherent inequality in everybody's life and absolutely no meaning besides heaven and hell, some going as far as saying that non-believers will burn in hell for eternity. Bringing this idea of permanence to such an impermanent existance makes me feel like most christians are a bunch of manchildren looking for comfort.
It started making a lot of sense to me how God is basically our common source and Jesus showed himself to us into a body we can actually see.
What are your thoughts on this?
Do you think I can still call myself a buddhist?
>>
>>1431148
Are you from California and are you white?
>>
>>1431159
Europe and yes, I'm white
>>
You should read Stirner instead of Steiner you massive cunthuffer, religion is nothing more than a spook
>>
File: 1466482151087.gif (150KB, 245x320px)
1466482151087.gif
150KB, 245x320px
>>1431174
This.
>>
>>1431174
>>1431183
Bad posts
>>
>>1431174
>le spoogy mane meme
>>
>>1431148
Congrats, you're starting to realize what all religions are trying to communicate in their own way. Buddhism and Christianity can complement each other wonderfully. I'll never understand the vitriol some Christians have for Buddhism, as if mindfulness or not letting your emotions get to the better of you is exactly not what Jesus preached ("The Kingdom of Heaven is within you")

As usual, plebs with no intuitive sense for this stuff will meme and haw. Let them. Do you.
>>
>>1431201
Quality in 4chan posts is a spook.
>>
File: spooky.jpg (12KB, 243x208px)
spooky.jpg
12KB, 243x208px
>>1431201
>>
Karma's a universal law. Whether you call it sin or whatever.
God is real too. Whether you think of him as a self-aware sentient being or something more abstract.
Is all of this relevant? No.
Just do good things and aspire to be the best version of yourself, regardless of which religious path you choose to follow, even if you choose multiple ones or no path at all.
This is not even a religion thing, but something that's already forged into our mind.
If you're looking for direct guidance, I'll always go for Buddhism as it's not completely killed by dogma like Christianity is. Also, Vipassana and Zazen are pretty great for your mind in general.
There's also some neat Hindu and Muslim shit that's pretty neat in general.
Also, this >>1431238
All religions have the same fucking goal and the same teachings. Things like Satanism, Wicca and other shit I have very little knowledge of, but I try to avoid them as they sound like somebody spewed shit out of their mouth as a reaction to other religions.
>>
>>1431148
>Do you think I can still call myself a buddhist?
Probably. A major prerequisite to Christianity is that you accept Jesus alone as your Lord and Savior and that everyone is damned who isn't a Christian. However, I personally believe these dogmatic ideas represent the teaching of Christ which isn't exclusive to Christianity. Christ isn't so much a historical person as he is a metaphysical concept that transcends space and time. Is there Christ in Buddha? Perhaps, but Jesus embodies the Christ superior to any other tradition in my opinion.

At the same time I don't shun dogma or the Church because I see them as necessary for a knowledge of Christ and God that transcends them both. In the same sense you don't merely linger in the doorway of an edifice to enter it, you cannot remain solely within the confines of the basic components of the Church and the Bible, but they will act as the entrance one must go through for their spiritual journey (this is also a Buddhist concept, the dharma as a raft not to maintain attachment to). The Church body is a necessity because one can easily stray left to their own devices, and become lost. Dogma is necessary because it puts you on a path to avoid spiritual corruption. Things are unveiled to you that can't be written in concrete language, which is Christianity's strong suit as it's filled with Symbolism pointing towards higher truths.

Let's take a quote from Meister Eckhart, who expresses a very Buddhist-like idea:
>" If it is to know Him, it must have no fellowship with nothingness. Only he knows God who recognizes that all creatures are nothingness. For, if one creature be set over against another, it may appear to be beautiful and somewhat, but if it be set over against God, it is nothing. I say moreover: If the soul is to know God it must forget itself and lose itself, for as long as it contemplates self, it cannot contemplate God. When it has lost itself and everything in God, it finds itself"
>>
File: coffee1.jpg (7KB, 250x194px) Image search: [Google]
coffee1.jpg
7KB, 250x194px
>>1431148
Being impressionable often is the hallmark of a lowbrow.

Indeed, after reading your post, you sound like a second-hand person who regurgitates the newest and latest thing he reads.

Again, lowbrow.
>>
>>1431148
>Do you think I can still call myself a buddhist?Depends on your view of Buddhism. If it's your "religion," no. If you view it as a philosophy, however, you can possibly acknowledge it alongside a moderate form of Christianity.
>>
>>1431311
>Indeed, after reading your post, you sound like a second-hand person who regurgitates the newest and latest thing he reads.
Don't we all though?

Unless you haven't read every work available and familiarized yourself with every idea, new ideas that express reasonable counter-arguments to your preconceived notions are perfectly reasonable to then agree with.

The opposite is you're a contrarian or skeptic about everything, which fundamentally makes you a critic with no grounding of their own, so no one will want to pay much mind to you at all.
>>
>>1431311
>le epin incredulous stick figure man
>having a flexible worldview that adapts itself to new information you happen to agree with is being impressionable because it's information I don't agree with

Don't forget the extra sugar bitch
>>
>>1431148
It's more like you're embracing some form of Universalism, mixed with some ideas of a universal god-essence.

I think you're sort of missing the boat for both Buddhism and Christianity, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if you're motivated to become a better person.
The soteriologies are completely different. The idea of Christ's sacrifice would be abhorrent to a Buddhist theosopher, and subsequently the lack-of-importance-of-God-as-highest-and-source-of-salvation would shock a Christian one.

I'm personally a Zen Buddhist with a bit of Taoist (a literal bit; I read and enjoyed a lot of Zhuangdi's naturalist ideas), but I think you don't have to relegate your own spiritual beliefs into modern boxes.

Humanity has had plenty of spiritual beliefs through its existence, and the ones that exist today may not exist into the next hundred years, if not millennia. If we're being truly honest with ourselves, everybody's probably "wrong" about "what's the true religion" on some level despite what history tells them.
>>
>>1431148
According to Steiner there were three Jesuses and the Christ is a deity who lives in the sun. How does that make sense?
>>
>>1432985
If you're some kind of autist who is perpetually grounded in the concrete and literal then it never will make sense at all.
>>
>>1432985
Christ is a solar figure. Light of the world, beacon in the darkness, etc. Don't be an autist.
>>
>>1431174

Stirners philosophy is indirectly based on Buddhism which is what the first Greek Skeptics were influenced by.

Buddhists - Greek skeptics - European skeptics - Stirner

Stirners main ideas are included in Buddhism already. Believing that Stirner is somehow a refutation of Buddhism is compelely ridiculous.
>>
>>1431148
If incarnation is real, how come there are today more people than ever before? Do souls just randomly pop into existence or what?
>>
>an omnipotent entity created the universe
>therefore, christianity and not literally anything else
How and why do people keep making this mental leap and arriving at this conclusion?
>>
>>1432992
>>1433672
Steiner was autistic. His wife dressed him up every morning.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.