[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about Antoninus Pius. Was he a good emperor? Marcus Aurelius

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Antoninus_Pius_BM_Sc1463.jpg (3MB, 2300x3066px) Image search: [Google]
Antoninus_Pius_BM_Sc1463.jpg
3MB, 2300x3066px
Tell me about Antoninus Pius. Was he a good emperor? Marcus Aurelius admires him a lot, and he is generally considered one of the best emperors.

Can anyone rec me a book on the lives of the emperors?
>>
>>1340265
Little is known about him because little was written down in his time. His reign was so peaceful and comfy that historians couldn't think of anything to write about.
>>
>>1340265
Hadrian intended him to be a stop gap between himself and Marcus Aurelius. Unfortunately he just kept living. Antoninus benefited from the success of Hadrian and was an able administrator. However he lacked the vision and initiative that defined the reigns of his predecessors. This would lead to a difficult reign for Marcus Aurelius where many of the problems ignored by Antoninus exploded with disastrous results.
>>
>>1340629
Basically everything that could be said about him.

He does deserve props though for not letting the Senate and patricians drag Hadrian's name through the mud and stood up for him, even though he knew he was just a stop gap for Aurelius.
>>
>>1340423
Pretty much this, the greatest rulers avoid war and other opportunities for "glory".
>>
>>1340265
Originally Antoninus Pius was able to diplomacy avoid war simply by suggesting that the Roman Army was at his disposal. And it was enough, because the Legions were seen as unbeatable and invincible.

But not so much after the Antonine Plague, and the Germanic tribes in particular decided to take advantage of the thinned ranks.

He also left Marcus Aurelius 2.7 billion sestertii, due to frugal management over a very long and stable rule.
>>
>>1340265
He didn't do much of anything of grand importance so some people knock him as a do nothing but really I don't see why. There's lots of other rulers throughout history who took great situations and fucked it up (Frederick-William II of Prussia for instance) whereas the Empire under Antoninus remained peaceful and prosperous and he himself devoted himself to helping the less fortunate via grain allotments and education for orphan girls (which was a passion of his beloved wife).

Seems like a pretty good ruler and a genuinely good human being overall too me.
>>
>>1340265

"Chronicles of the Roman Emperors" - Chris Scarre

Good analysis of all the emperors of the empire, from Octavian (Augustus) to Romulus Augustulus.

10/10
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.