[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I was wondering. What kind of history does Jamaica have?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

File: Jamaica.png (4KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
Jamaica.png
4KB, 600x300px
So, I was wondering. What kind of history does Jamaica have? I don't really know much about the country other than that it's where reggae and Rastafari come from. Are there any good articles/books/videos on Jamaica?

Any notable events or interesting periods?
>>
>>1337701
It was a spanish colony first (Isla de Santiago)
Passed to british hands after the 7 years war
>>
>>1337701

Other than the media making it out as "Dude Weed LMAO" the country

there really isn't much to it

also they stone gays there
>>
>>1337701
wun love me bredda
*smokes a joint*

*kills a homosexual*
>>
File: 1464279679752.png (37KB, 130x130px) Image search: [Google]
1464279679752.png
37KB, 130x130px
>>1337843
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M8zpBsMoM0
>>
>>1337701
Port Royal existed in real life, it was a pirate base.

Simón Bolívar escaped there when he lost one of his battles. He was a average to bad commander.

Lots of scaped slaves from America went there.

Montego Bay was a famous tourist town before disaster happened.
>>
>>1337843
Sounds like a good place
>>
>>1337862
>Simon Bolivar
>Average to bad commander
>Liberated 6 countries
>>
>>1337701
One of the not so bad predominantly black countries these days. They worshiped the Emperor of Ethiopia once. I like Jerk Chicken.
>>
>>1337887
Thanks to his hannoverian, british and irish mercenaries as well as for the idiocy from the "king" of Spain
>>
>>1337701
One Jamaican is the captain of the Premier League's champion Leicester City.
>>
>>1337701
It was mostly an irrelevant Spanish colony until 1655 when the English captured it. From there, it became an important center for English-sponsored piracy against the Spanish in the region, providing England with the wealth of which these pirates plundered, and hindering Spanish colonial and military efforts.

Over time, piracy was replaced by plantations, notably sugarcane. Niall Ferguson notes that at this point, Jamaica was probably the most economically productive place on the planet, and played a major part in the English economy. With the rise of industrialization, the importance of Jamaica declined.

Basically, it drove the English economy and was the main island for England to launch economic combat against Spain for a significant period of time, and has been irrelevant since this declined.
>>
>tfw no jamaican gf
>>
File: Mavado-kartel.jpg (113KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
Mavado-kartel.jpg
113KB, 640x427px
>>1337701
>Any notable events or interesting periods?

the Gully-Gaza conflict of the late 2000s
>>
File: JAMAICA-85bF-2005.jpg (22KB, 400x183px) Image search: [Google]
JAMAICA-85bF-2005.jpg
22KB, 400x183px
A big-butt woman called Nanny lead the slave rebellion. The brits worked out an agreement with the maroons and let them be in containment zones. Usain Bolt is a descendant of the maroons, who were fit as fuck.
>>
File: 1931 Haile Selassie.jpg (44KB, 329x480px) Image search: [Google]
1931 Haile Selassie.jpg
44KB, 329x480px
How the hell did they end up worshiping this guy? He wasn't even an especially good leader.
>>
>>1340438
They were really hyped for an "African King" to look up, they thought he fulfilled some prophesies.
>>
>>1340438
google Marcus Garvey
>>
>>1340438
rastas are like 5% of the total population of Jamaica
>>
>>1340438

we wuz the second advent of the only holy son of the so called man and sheit

fugg italians and their gaas gats my man
>>
File: 61695.3.jpg (779KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
61695.3.jpg
779KB, 900x506px
Bobsledding
>>
4 Small Indian Mongooses were introduced to Jamaica in 1872 to kill the rats in the sugar cane plantations.
The mongoose has contributed to the extinction of two Jamaican birds, one giant lizard and a snake, all endemic species of the island.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
>>1337701
Its rumored that the Indian laborers that immigrated there were the ones that introduced the "ganja"
>>
Jamaica has a ridiculously disproportionate influence on music for some reason

A jamaican born hip hop DJ is credited with inventing hiphop, they did reggar obviously, which then evolved into dancehall.

Now pretty much every pop song being pumped out now has Jamaican dancehall beats attached to it.

Jamaica is argueably the music capital of the world.
>>
>>1338007
The IMF basically made Jaimaca turn from a food exporter to a food importer.
>>
>>1340309
Kek. Free, but not really since he committed murder, worl' boss.
>>
>>1337854
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.
>>
>>1337701
The now rather famous A Brief History of Seven Killings isn't bad, if you don't mind fiction
>>
>>1337701
CHARLES DUDUS WE LOVE HIM SO BAD :DDDD
>>
The dreadlocks and weed that we now consider to be culturally Jamaican were in fact both from India. A bunch of Indian sailors brought weed over from their home country and their Hindu traditions influenced the Rastafari belief system. The dreads came from Sadhus, weird Indian monk-like people who wander around the wilderness smoking weed.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.