[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the identity of Vlad the Impaler, I mean in a "National"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Bad Vlad.jpg (267KB, 575x578px) Image search: [Google]
Bad Vlad.jpg
267KB, 575x578px
What was the identity of Vlad the Impaler, I mean in a "National" sense?

He's memed as a Romanian figure but looking at the damned map, Transylvania was under the rule of the Kingdom of Hungary, which was fuckhuge at the time.

Shouldn't he be seeing himself as a Hungarian Noble as opposed to a Romanian one? Given that Romania wasn't a thing at the time?
>>
Does it matter?
>>
>>1277133
He saw himself at the "Lord of Transylvania." Applying nationalities at the time would be useless.

Transylvania is under the Hungarian Kingdom alright, but is the home of Szekelers, Hungarians, Romanians, and the odd Saxon. It's pretty multiethnic.
>>
>>1277133
>implying nation states existed at that time
>>
>>1277133
Romania wasn't a thing back then,but the principality of Wallachia certainly was and he was her uncontested ruler.
>>
>>1277133

He was a sweet transvestite.
>>
>applying the concept of a nation state to a medieval voivode
>>
He was Wallachian.

Modern national identities do not work with medieval figures. No such conception would exist for him.
>>
>>1277133
Well, he ruled Wallachia, where the state language was Old Church Slavonic, but the popular language was Romanian. In the state language the principality was called Wallachia, but in popular language it's name was Teara Rumineasca (Romanian land). So I guess he could be considered a Romanian, but people at that time cared more about religion than about nationality anyway.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.