[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Baldwin IV was educated by the historian William of Tyre

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: file.png (447KB, 590x473px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
447KB, 590x473px
>Baldwin IV was educated by the historian William of Tyre (later Archbishop of Tyre and Chancellor of the kingdom), who made a disturbing discovery about the prince: he and his friends were playing one day, attempting to injure each other by driving their fingernails into each other's arms, but Baldwin felt no pain

What the fuck?

Was all medieval era entertainment this stupid?
>>
>>1232999
All young boys' entertainment is that stupid. You find seven and eight year old boys still trying to do things like this.
>>
Sounds more like kids being kids than any sort of medieval viciousness.

I didn't really get up to stupid shit as a kid but I know plenty of people who did.
>>
File: 1449094774629.jpg (2MB, 3420x1930px) Image search: [Google]
1449094774629.jpg
2MB, 3420x1930px
We don't know enough about real medieval entertainment, but chances are that kids really just played with each other, adults drank and talked about stuff.

Nobility entertainment was where you saw dudes recite poems to music in the court, and they'd just sit there for hour listening to some guy talk about Siegfried or Roland and how many dudes they could kill. In the High Middle Ages Women were becoming a bit more influential, and you had the somewhat legendary court of Eleanor of Aquitaine where now you find the Arthurian Romances being created, where they focus less on how many people were killed and more on the intrigue of courts and things that would appeal to women as well.

The high middle ages also saw the gradual reintroduction of plays and what now. Drama just didn't happen in Europe for a long time during the fall of the Roman Empire to this point, it just wasn't on anybody's minds. That was until (as some legend dictates) some German (i think?) parish decided to put on a really short play for Easter. It was from that point that drama grew again, and you would find in the 14th and 15th centuries that one of the most popular types of plays other than the "Miracle Plays" was the Allegory, where character would be named certain concepts and it would usually have a clear moral and message.

Other entertainment for all kinds of people could be found in going to the fairs and talking and gossiping there, feasts for talking, country dances, Carnival, and parades.

Some entertainment was stupid, Henry II for instance had the "flatuist" Roland the Farter in his service who was so well liked by the King that he was given estates so long as every year he would perform his signature "one jump, a whistle, and a fart" on Christmas.
>>
>>1232999
Kids still do that here in Britain.
>>
>>1232999
Evidence of the complete pussiness of this generation.
>>
>>1232999
They were fucking nine, kids do stupid shit
>>
>>1232999
>he didn't play games like bloody knuckles as a kid
your childhood must have sucked
>>
>>1233059
>Some entertainment was stupid, Henry II for instance had the "flatuist" Roland the Farter in his service who was so well liked by the King that he was given estates so long as every year he would perform his signature "one jump, a whistle, and a fart" on Christmas.
Ha. Must have been one hell of a fart.
>>
>>1232999
>Was all medieval era entertainment this stupid?
Did you not have a childhood?

I don't think we did this exact thing but we did plenty of shot just as asinine
>>
People were more relaxed about violence back then

In Ireland groups of men and boys would gather together on pleasant days and then just start beating the fuck out of each other for fun

I think the French and Swedish used to see how far they could throw wild animals
>>
>>1232999

I did this as a kid, and I was born in 1987.
>>
>>1233059
>Some entertainment was stupid, Henry II for instance had the "flatuist" Roland the Farter in his service who was so well liked by the King that he was given estates so long as every year he would perform his signature "one jump, a whistle, and a fart" on Christmas.

Its a good thing that we as a society have evolved above things such as this.
>>
>>1233978
I mean, it probably has to do with the development of the entertainment industry, consider that in this time the only meaningful consumers were generally the equivalent of the actually dumb jocks at a highschool/the smart enough to be above hitting each other humor but still thinks family guy is hilarious crowd.
>>
>>1233519
>how far they could throw wild animals

Fucking dying here, source?
>>
>>1232999
I can remember doing dumb shit like that as a kid. Once a group of us were waiting outside next to a metal wall on a hot day. A girl leaned her hand on it and yelled out because it was boiling to touch. About 30 seconds later every guy had his cheek pressed against it talking about how absolutely fine he was.
>>
>>1234457
This. My and my younger brother used to press our fingertips on the hot grill to see who could last longer. We also beat the shit out of eachother for the fun of it.

OP, I think it would exceptional if this wasn't universal, atleast amomg boys.
>>
French guys are tough guys

(Used to be tough guys)
>>
File: aHcStds.png (179KB, 626x323px) Image search: [Google]
aHcStds.png
179KB, 626x323px
>>1232999
TELL ME ABOUT BALDWIN! WHY DOES HE WEAR THE MASK?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.