[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Hannibal Barca held in such higher regard than pic related?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9

File: scipio.jpg (77KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
scipio.jpg
77KB, 500x333px
Why is Hannibal Barca held in such higher regard than pic related?
Dispite his decisive victorys he failed to devise a conquering stratagem.
Who do you think is the greater general /his/? Discuss.
>>
Hannibal was a better tactician, a better commander. Scipio was the better strategist, the better general. Hannibal wins battles, Scipio wins wars.
>>
>>1205971
As to why Scipio isn't as famous as Hannibal, I can think of two reasons.

1) Everybody loves the tragic brilliant general. For all of Hannibal's victories, he lost in the end
2) The Romans perhaps purposefully overblew just how brilliant the guy was, to make having defeated him glorify Rome all the more
>>
>>1205971
If Scipio had faced Hannibal in Italy human history would have been written very differently. Scipio was just a roman cuck too afraid to face him. Hannibal did the unthinkable
>>
>>1205939
That's how pop history works. There's a lot of famous roman generals. There's only one famous carthaginian general. So Scipio will always be in the shadow of Caesar and others while nobody is there to shadow Hannibal.
>>
>>1205939
Hannibal will always be remembered as the greater general. For many a reasons
>>
File: festival-of-history-017.jpg (1MB, 2848x2136px) Image search: [Google]
festival-of-history-017.jpg
1MB, 2848x2136px
>>1206040
Ha ha.
Come at me barbarian scum.
>>
>Scipio is a way better general because he won one battle
>b-but you can't hold waterloo against napoleon! He lost all his good men in russia!

Can't have it both ways roman autists
>>
>>1206040

those are greeks

>phrygian cap pattern macedonian helmets
>linothorax
>macedonian imagery on shields
>reek of gay

possibly alexander or seleucus' dudes
>>
File: stay mad faggot.jpg (31KB, 423x600px) Image search: [Google]
stay mad faggot.jpg
31KB, 423x600px
>>1206109
He is often regarded as one of the greatest generals and military strategists of all time more so than Napoleon. Scipio always acted only as the result of reasoned foresight and worked on men's superstitions in a calculating manner.
>>
>>1206255
Truly the Ulysses S Grant to Hannibal's Robert E Lee
>>
>>1205939
The Carthage Council of Elders were Hannibal's worst enemies, not Scipio. If they weren't actively trying to cockblock him, Rome would be fucked.
>>
File: We.Was.Kangs.An.Sheit.jpg (206KB, 695x960px) Image search: [Google]
We.Was.Kangs.An.Sheit.jpg
206KB, 695x960px
>>1206133
I think you are mistaken
>>
>>1206274
It's argued that Hannibal had more support from his state then Scipio did when he proposed invading africa to the senate. He spent more than a year in Sicily training and building an army consisting partly of volunteers
>>
>>1205939
>>1206255

Was Mussolini literally Scipio's son?
>>
>>1206310
Benito mussolini? What are you trying to say
>>
File: Image068.jpg (325KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Image068.jpg
325KB, 1024x768px
>>1206133
Shit, my bad. Heres a better one.
>>
>>1206279
WE WUZ

Not actually the rulers of Carthage merely it's most important general.
>>
>>1206351
Just spitballing, would they have been better off if he had been the ruler of Carthage? The council in Carthage was (from what I've heard) his biggest setback. Would he have been better off if he had had a consul-like position?
>>
>>1206350
>>
Hannibal was an excellent statesman, after the war the man for example introduced revolutionary agricultural reform. Partly due to Hannibal's reforms Rome feared that Carthage might become a threat again, some Rome increased sanctions and demanded Hannibal be turned over.

But during the war I very much doubt he would be in any way able to rule Carthage. since you know, he was in Italy for like nearly the entire war.
>>
>>1206362
Oops meant to reply to you with te comment above.
>>
>>1206340
They literally look the same.
>>
>>1205939
Scipio is seen as a better general, because he made the Romans look like fool in a couple battle. But, you have to keep in mind Romans thought like the greeks. hur dur real men fight 1v1 no odds against each other. But he also didn't want to destroy Rome, and just wanted to make inferior to Carthage. If he just marched on Rome and seiged the city, the world would have been different
>>
what are the best book for learning more about scipio and hannibal? both together and individually
>>
>>1207902
https://www.amazon.com/Carthage-Must-Be-Destroyed-Civilization-ebook/dp/B004IYJEB0?ie=UTF8&btkr=1&ref_=dp-kindle-redirect
>>
>>1205939
Carthage was destined to fail, the Romans destined to win. Hannibal still went against the odds and gained three monumental victories against the Romans in the process. Zama, Scipio's greatest victory, was pretty much called before it even happened.
>>
File: Scipio.jpg (27KB, 640x340px) Image search: [Google]
Scipio.jpg
27KB, 640x340px
>>1206310
>>
>>1207943
kek
>>
>>1208305
I can feel it in Hispania, I can feel it at Zama
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.