[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /his/ think of this film? I hace heard bad opinions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: tmp_5658-images-1907116386.jpg (8KB, 176x250px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_5658-images-1907116386.jpg
8KB, 176x250px
What does /his/ think of this film? I hace heard bad opinions but mostly from butthurt christians.
>>
>>1118560
I remember seeing like 20 minutes of it on TV once. Beautiful sets iirc.

I can see Christcucks getting assanguished about it, yeah.
>>
I enjoyed watching it. It is a decent movie but with some false information about the parabolani and the Christians. Overall rating 6-7/10.
>>
File: kek.png (80KB, 223x194px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
80KB, 223x194px
>>1118560
Roman Catholic here, it was alright I suppose.
+ Why the fuck would I care? It's just a fucking movie.
>>
It's pretty much completely fictional.

>>1118794
Because it presents itself as historical, but at this point it's just another shit in a sea of shit.
>>
>>1118560
Rachel Weisz a cute

Otherwise it's full of the generic Hollywood-isms like apocryphal armor and costumes, rewriting historical character ages, roles, and personalities, etc. It did go the extra mile though and make the Library of Alexandria an actual plot point where it shouldn't even exist, and skews the violence at the time as pretty one-sided with the Christian mob as the constant antagonist and Hypatia as pretty fedora-tier.

Still fapped.
>>
Literally every historical fact it portrays is wrong

Nice sets though
>>
File: agora09.jpg (400KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
agora09.jpg
400KB, 1600x1067px
>>1118560
Agora does contain a number of historical inaccuracies. Among these are: Hypatia's age (she was closer to 50 or 60 years old), her realization of the heliocentric universe, invention of the astrolabe and hydrometer, and the manner in which she died (the historical records state she was beaten and flayed to death by a mob of Christian monks who then burned her in a church). There is also the insertion of the fictional slave Davus, the wounding of Hypatia’s father Theon by the Christians, the fire walking of the monk Ammonius, and other such historical inaccuracies which are added for dramatic effect. The depiction of the Christian community, however, is accurate for the years in which the film is set. Dr. Artemi, and others, critiques the film’s depiction of fundamentalist Christians destroying art and learning in the name of their god but it must be recognized that the way in which early Christians are portrayed is supported by primary sources as well as modern scholarship of the era under consideration. Artemi writes, at one point, “The movie presents the Christians - chiefly the "Bath Fraternity" members - not only as obscurantists, but also ignorant. In one of their conversations among themselves they are shown as saying that the earth and the sky resemble a chest and also as rejecting theories pertaining to astronomy.”

The anti-intellectual stance of the early church is attested to by early Christian writers themselves and so, if the Christians in the film are depicted as ignorant it is because they were so by choice. St. Justin Martyr (c. 100-165 CE) was openly hostile to classical learning and claimed that all the important values and thoughts expressed by writers like Plato were stolen from the Christian Bible’s Old Testament.

So, dramatized, but accurate where it counts. More than you can say for most Hollywood historical pieces, and though this isn't the most accurate of the bunch, it makes the top 10%-15% I'd say.
>>
>>1119655
>The depiction of the Christian community, however, is accurate
wew

Irene Artemi is not a historian, her opinions about a historical matter shouldn't hold any weight
>>
>>1119685
The references are from Joshua J. Mark and Walter Nigg, citing statements credited to St. Justin Martyr and Tertullian in 13th century literature...

...But if you believe that sorta cultural revolution comes about without bloodshed, then more power to you.
>>
>>1118560
It's shit because it ignores the class reasons she got killed. The Christian "mob", and Parenti has said a lot about the use of that word, killed the rich. Hypatia and the philosophers in general were aligned with the rich landowners and had it coming. Perhaps not as individuals but certainly as a class.
>>
>>1119906
>Hypatia and the philosophers in general were aligned with the rich landowners and had it coming. Perhaps not as individuals but certainly as a class.
Fuck off you marxist shit, take your dead gay ideology to the graveyard of history where it rightly belongs.
>>
>>1118560
Fairly mediocre. It's worth watching though because it's one of the few depictions of Late Antiquity out there in film.
>>
>>1120173
You'd never know it though, they dressed it up to look like the Early Empire
>>
>>1119685
Even if one reads the actual history of Hypatia, you can't deny or excuse the Christians' methods and rationales
>>
>>1119036

The library at the serapion was assuredly real.
>>
>>1119906

Christians were ikko ikki.
>>
>>1120396
Except that they were less opposed to the central administration and more used against the local rich by their own and allied elites.
>>
So, pretty much, it was shit, but it looked good?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.