[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the deal with female knights? Were they ever a thing,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 18

What's the deal with female knights? Were they ever a thing, or is modern fantasy just being politically correct?
>>
Joan of arc was real and was executed. Mulan was real and was executed. Boudica was real and was executed.
>>
Joan of Arc immediately comes to mind, but I'm not sure if she was officially a "knight". Since, correct me if I'm wrong, but Knighthood was a formal distinction, not a description of everyone who took up arms for a kingdom.
>>
>>1033285
They weren't really a thing. I'm sure you could dig back and find historical examples of dames who trained for combat or whatever. They'd just be anomalies, though.

Let's try to keep the sexism to a minimum this time around, we don't need a reminder why the fragile feminine frame isn't suited to big manly combat.
>>
>or is modern fantasy just being politically correct?

Modern fantasy is being fantastical, there's no need to bitch about political correctness because of ladyknights, most fantasy is in no way acting like their setting is historically accurate.
>>
GLORIFIED
>>
>>1033289
>>1033292
Joan was a commander, not a fighter. The only time she ever used a sword was to chase away prostitutes.
>>
>>1033289

Mulan wasn't executed. She became a general and lived. Boudicca assraped the Romans after being raped and lived to see her husband rescue her

Only Joan of Arc was executed, and thatls only because she claimed to have heard God.

You want more badass ladies? Princess Pinyang of Zhao. Died soon after her dad became king, and she played a big part in freeing China.
>>
File: 6482132_p0.jpg (168KB, 372x900px) Image search: [Google]
6482132_p0.jpg
168KB, 372x900px
>>1033285
Modern fantasy writers usually want some strong ripped amazon to step on them or something.

No, they were not a "thing", despite what Bioware videogames say.
>>
>>1033298
But even in Fantasy that boasts realism and condemns escapism like ASOIAF has female knights.
>>
>>1033308
I thought the Romans absolutely reckt Boudicca.
>>
>>1033285
>sperg spergs about women warriors in his books about wizards and shit

Its not even a modern phenomenon. Tolkien had Eowyn and Howard had loads of female warriors in his stories. Fuck, go back further and you have stories about valkyries and shit. Its fantasy, its meant to be fantastic.
>>
>>1033285
Dames? That's more of an honorary title for doing something good, but was never associated with being a warrior in combat.

Though I think there was some spanish women during the reconquista who got their own military order as a thank you for defending cities. You'd have to google that for more information I can't quite remember
>>
>>1033310
ASOIAF only has one and she isn't even formally knighted.
>>
To my knowledge there were effectively no female knights. You gotta remember that being an armored swordsman did not make someone a knight. A knight was both a social class and an official distinction with religious meaning. There may have been a handful of female swordsman and such running around, but I don't think any were actually knights.
>>
>>1033323
Also dragons
>>
>>1033323
It still has one. I want to know if she and others in the genre have historical precedent. So far it looks like a no.
>>
>>1033285
>or is modern fantasy just being politically correct?

This.
>>
There have been a metric fuckton of female warriors of varying degrees of formality within known military tradition. 'Knights' are just a euro thing, and Europe is pretty much the Fatherland aka the big bad patriarchy, so it would be silly to assume that woman were permitted by society to wield any physical power or access to armaments in an organised manner i.e. for the state/religion. Women probably had the most martial freedom in anarchist/mercenary roles across the ages, though how seriously they were taken and how long they lived before being gangraped/murdered for not doing normal wimmin stuff is anyone's guess.
>>
>>1033323
>One
Brienne, Asha, Osha, Ygritte, Meera, Visenya, Rhaneys, the Spearwives
>>
>>1033350
Coherence! Thanks /his/
>>
>>1033285
>politically correct
no, it's just so the games are relateable since in this day and age men and women have roughly equal opportunity. they could also make your struggle in such games one of survival as it would be instead of defeating the evil wizard or whatever, but they don't because medieval problems aren't relateable to people living today. most people don't even think about it, and the developers probably don't either.
>>
>>1033351
>Brienne
The one case and a freak scenario in her own world. The only child of an ass end kingdom that has a history of martially training both men and women and noted for being freakishly powerfully built. And she still gets shit for it.

>Asha
Another case of the only child and true heir of a king people literally can't say no to. Also she's more of a competent leader than proven battlefield warrior. She seems to have some skill but she's not noted as being a master swordsman. Just intelligent and not a pussy.

Closest to real life examples Anne Bonny, Joan, the Trung sisters.

>Osha, Ygritte
Literally just savages. They live in a stab or be stabbed world and happened to live to adulthood. Their job description is scavenge for food and occasionally stab a bitch with your mates, not super girl power warrior.

> Visenya, Rhaneys,
Who the fuck are these? Quick google implies they are mythical figures in the backstory when magic was still a thing and Targaryens rode dragons.
>>
>>1033285

Men of old didn't have to put up with some dumb cunt running her mouth out of turn the way the submissive western men do today.

Any bitch that claimed to be a "stronk womyn" would simply get her teeth knocked the fuck out by the first dude that didn't feel like putting up with her bullshit. While there were some chicks used as figureheads, like Joan of Arc, there weren't enough actual "stronk womyn" for history to have made note of over the years.
>>
>>1033454
They were the first Queens of the Targ Dynasty and powerful warriors. In the world of ASOIAF they were real people who lived only 300 years before the events of the series.
>>
>>1033285
>Were they ever a thing
No woman was ever knighted.
>>
>>1033460
But the Targs had dragon powers. It isn't fair to compare women in combat roles to magical dragon riders. It wouldn't matter how burly a man you were in the killzone of a dragon. Magical powers are the ultimate in equality amongst the sexes in fantasy. A woman mage can be far more powerful than a strong male warrior
>>
>>1033285
I don't know man. If greeks liked their women with godly powers thousands of years ago, then I'd hope some of them might have wanted to have that kind of recognition by training their bodies.
>>
Stop talking about gay dragon fantasy shit you autistic nerds.
>>
>>1033292
She was a publicity stunt by Charles VII because he knew France was too spineless to fight against England and so he needed some religious zeal to fix that
>>
>>1033296
>Let's try to keep the sexism to a minimum

>>tumblr
>>
How are there so many retards who think Knight = anybody who can fight, in /his/ of all places? It's a fucking title and specific job, you Mongoloids.
>>
>>1033308
>>1033289
Mulan wasn't executed nor did she become a general. She got sent home immediately after she was found to be a woman, and was only in the army for a couple of weeks at best. It evolved from a quaint little story on filial piety to a national legend.
>>
File: Mulan with a halberd.jpg (203KB, 400x490px) Image search: [Google]
Mulan with a halberd.jpg
203KB, 400x490px
>>1033289
Mulan isn't real you retards.

She comes from a Ballad in the 6th Century, and her story is solidified in the 17th Century novel "Sui-T'ang Yanyi" (Romances of Sui and T'ang), which is romanticizes the events of the fall of Sui and rise of T'ang.

Women warriors are stock in Chinese fiction due to the exoticness of the idea. Some literary analysts and historians viewed the use of such heroines as an exhortation to manly virtues to a male audience. "Look, this woman is willing to lay down her life for the country. Why can't you, manly man?"
>>
>>1033306
>Joan was a commander
More like a flag bearer. A glorified cheerleader.
There's no evidence of her commanding anyone.
>>
>>1033312
They did she also was not a warrior nor leader. She may have been a member of the council the cells never followed one leader they were always confederations.
>>
>>1033296
That is generally correct though, especially mass combat. F=ma
>>
>>1033350
Not a metric fuck ton vanishing lyrics small to the point if irrelevance.
>>
>>1033285
Female knights? not a single, that was a mans title, but, women swordsman/merc? yes, surely somewhere sometime a woman choose to fight. It would be ridiculous to assume that in more than ten hundred years no woman decided and succeeded in the arms path
>>
VIETNAMESE TRIỆU THỊ TRINH
KIND OF GREEK ARTEMISIA I OF CARIA
ASIAN SOMETHING NAKANO TAKEKO
ASIAN SOMETHING TOMOE GOZEN
SEXY CELTIC BOUDICCA
THAT APACHE LOZEN
FUCKING PALMYRENE EMPRESS ZENOBIA
>>
The closest thing to a female knight i know of is Khutulun.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?id=822456431891
>>
>>1033660
that's just a list of le stronk meme women though
>>
>>1033285
Fantasy mostly. Assuming that by knights you don't mean titular knights but also men at arms, mercenaries and so on, or in broader sense - warriors, including levies.

Women rarely fought mostly because they are shorter and smaller than men, how the fuck are they going to enter melee with a man who's much taller(longer reach) and stronger than them?

There were females following the armies here and there but they were mostly prostitutes, wives or were dealing with supplying the army in other ways.

To this day if we're talking about giving women combat roles in the army - it's rare and only limited to countries/organisations which have huge manpower problems - see Israelis, IRA or Kurds in Syria.
>>
>>1033720
And even the Israeli's usually keep female soldiers away from combat intensive areas, or at least that's what I've heard from IDF soldiers on /k/.
>>
>>1033727
Usually yes, but they train some of them for combat roles, because even shit reserve is still reserve.
>>
>>1033601
>There's no evidence of her commanding anyone.
Except for the testimony of knights and nobles who fought with her at her trial of nullification.....

>>1033651
After a bunch of Spanish women protected their town from a Muslim attack while the men were away, the women were knight as the Order of the Hatchet. As far as I know, they went on to live their lives as before and didn't continue fighting or otherwise comporting themselves as knights, though they were exempt from taxes for the rest of their lives.

Personally I think the Order of the Hatchet is a cool historical anecdote because even though, as many anons have pointed out repeatedly, women's frames aren't as suited for combat as men and therefore they haven't participated in fighting nearly as much, it shows that people, including women, can do amazing feats when their lives or the lives of their children are on the line.
>>
>>1033733
>were knight as
*were knighted as
>>
>>1033285
What part of FANTASY do you not understand?
>>
>>1033306
>>1033601

No that's the contrary.
After the coronation of CharlesVII, he made her and her family knights and she was a fighter, not a commander.
There are lots of testimony confirming this.
She had a horse, an white iron armor, a sword, a squire, etc and she was fighting on the battle field where she was wounded several times.
She never commanded a French army but at the end of her life, when she got wealthier, she had under her command about 120-130 genoese mercenaries.
>>
>>1033733
the Orden del Hacha wasn't really a proper knight order, sure, they got free of taxes but all those Cavalleras didn't earn everything a typical knight would get, they didn't get the same rights as orthers nor any extra duties, it was pratically no more than a honorific title.
>>
>>1033308
>Boudicca assraped the Romans after being raped and lived to see her husband rescue her

Boudicca burned a few poorly defended cities and then got her tribe slaughtered against a force she massively outnumbered.

Her husband was dead before all this started.

Where the fuck do you get your information?
>>
>>1033832

Like 90% of /his/ has no idea of what they're talking about.
>>
>>1033335
You obviously haven't been here long enough.
>>
>>1033733
Not a militaristic order, though awarded because of military merit.
>>
>why is my fantasy fantasy
w e w
>>
File: 2443068-copper.jpg (1MB, 537x1223px) Image search: [Google]
2443068-copper.jpg
1MB, 537x1223px
>>1033285
>is modern fantasy just being politically correct?
No it's modern fantasy trying to have cute cakes.
>>
>>1033489
>Being sexist for the purpose of being sexist
watch out for the edge
>>
>>1033285
Female knights didn't exist because only men were made to be knights, obviously.
Female warriors is another story.
>>
>>1033285
Why would you waste all the resources and time to train someone who ultimately will be a shitty fighter? Back then fighting was more involved, even in modern point-click and cry for air support combat they suck ass.

I suppose they would make decent archers, as they make ok snipers today. Mental discipline and testosterone only help in those roles too though.
>>
>>1034094
It's a short one with few characters.
>>
>>1033319
La Orde de l'Atxa was a cofradie not a military order, and was granted to the women of Tortosa because they helped to raise the siege of they city when the men were in campaing, thus earning some tax free shit and fiscal help to them and they descendents. The simbol was a red axe and the descendents of those women carried it from the XII to the XV.
>>
>>1034104
You had to be jacked to use a bow, and females lack upper body strength.
They would be good messengers tough, being little and lithe.
>>
>>1034265
>They would be good messengers tough, being little and lithe.

You know, they are also slower and can run less. Women can do combat roles to a certain degree of efficiency, no question, but there isn't a single one where they would be better.

It's also funny how we have this thread two times everyday. People are so insecure here.
>>
>>1033289

None of those were knights.
>>
>>1033323
In the lore books that came out there was a tribe of people that only let women fight, they are also the only people to successfully repel the dothraki.
>>
>>1033323
>>1034461
Also fucking Dorne. I fucking hate Dorne.
>>
>>1033310

>condemns escapism

>Has skinchangers, faceless killers, and war dragons
>An entire plot arc is about soldiers fighting ice zombies
>"Condemns escapism"
>>
>>1033362
>>1033350

>MUH STRONK WOMYN
>not politically correct

Fuck off sheila
>>
>>1033832

>Cracked

Usually I have better sources, sorry.
>>
>>1033309
S-sauce
>>
>>1033285

I never understood why artists potray people wearing plate protecting their shins, but never their thighs. You'd expect mail or something to shore up the gaps, but their upper legs and other such vulnerable bits are almost never protected. I could understand if it was meant to be pseudo-Classical period, but its always fantasy Medieval art that does it.

Is it an A E S T H E T I C S thing?
>>
>>1034104
The sniper role is a meme. The effectiveness and extent of Snipers in the USSR was a good chunk propaganda and exaggeration to say "See, even our WOMEN are better then baby Nazi soldiers".
>>
File: 1461419650490.jpg (396KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1461419650490.jpg
396KB, 1080x1920px
>>1034523

I have no idea myself, but its stupidly prevalent.

Its basically standard at this point.

You see it a ton in sci-fi art as well.
>>
>>1033350
except there's literally no way to know if either of your claims are true, there are multiple writings about female knights from the middle ages, specifically the Old english poem "Silence" a story about a female knight who was the greatest knight of her time, it's an extremely interesting read as it has knowledge of the female body and social commentary not thought to exist in old england. In fact it was thought to be fake simply because of the story's content until quite recently. Similarly there are multiple versions of the king Arthur legend that tell of a powerful female knight who performs great deeds and lays down the smackdown on some of king arthur's knights. In every case, as well as in almost every case of women fighting in combat, women do not fight as women, instead they cross dress as men. Which shows that the societies they are a part of do not accept women as soldiers.
>>
>>1034523
Too inflexible for horse riding?
>>
File: Bravo 343.png (1MB, 1139x963px) Image search: [Google]
Bravo 343.png
1MB, 1139x963px
>>1034609

Nah, its just a dumb this artists do.

Like armouring the chest but leaving the belly unarmored/lightly armoured.
>>
File: pizza boy.jpg (468KB, 1280x1426px) Image search: [Google]
pizza boy.jpg
468KB, 1280x1426px
>>1034631

thing*
>>
>>1034633
wtf am I looking at,
>>
File: [CANT WAKE UP].jpg (122KB, 780x1200px) Image search: [Google]
[CANT WAKE UP].jpg
122KB, 780x1200px
>>1034638

What seems to be the problem.
>>
File: ..png (305KB, 432x381px) Image search: [Google]
..png
305KB, 432x381px
>>1034641
I didn't ask for this.
>>
>>1033285
Knights weren't just guys in armor who went fighting. They were nobility who owned land and paid fealty to the king, and acted as governors for the people living in their land. There's actually accounts of knights revolting against their king because they were too busy running their shit to just fuck off and fight a war.

In a society as patriarchal as medieval Europe, yeah, knights were men. But that doesn't mean women, particularly widows or wives whose husbands were out of town fighting said war, wouldn't have a hand in matters.

But bear in mind when discussing anything medieval that you're talking about a literal millenium of history. Shit like Joan of Arc happens.
>>
>>1033310
Yeah and Brianne is treated fairly and equally by all the other knights right?
>>
>>1034134
At least they're interesting characters, usually.
>>
>>1033300
CHEER
>>
>>1034265
My sister literally had to start weight training just to acquire the strength to pull a 50lb bow.
>>
>>1035476
To be fair, your sister probably hasn't farmed her whole life.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (2MB, 2334x1484px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
2MB, 2334x1484px
>>1033285
There's Ulrich von Liechtenstein who according to his autobiography participated in tournaments in drag, calling himself Lady Venus. He may not have necessarily been fully honest there though.
>>
>>1033308
>Boudicca assraped the Romans
Correction: she "assraped" defenseless settlements and colonias. When she fought an actual Roman legion, she got wrecked.

>Joan of Arc
>executed
She wasn't executed for being religious or the clamor of believing she had a connection of God, it had to due with the English nobles bribing Church officials and creating a sham trial over her crossdressing.

Another shameful display by the eternal Anglo.
>>
>>1035524
to be fair people 300 years ago (let alone thousands)
were fucking manlet pieces of shit.
>>
>>1035589
Is it as bad as that time a French king burned a bunch of Templars because he couldn't pay denbts?
>>
>>1035680
They'd probably still kick both of our asses.

To be fair.
>>
>>1035706
they would probably die sooner from my sneeze than anything to be fair.
>>
>>1035720
Yeah, but to be fair that'd probably be like a week after they rolled their sleeves up and beat you half to death with arms toned by years of harvest and husbandry.
>>
>>1035739
To be fair average peasant would have hard time reaching my face, let aside the fact I am better fed, much healthier
my reach is longer and I can pop a cap in his bitch ass.

though tbf if I hit his face there is a decent chance his teeth or whatever would tear skin on my fist and I would die from infection.

tough luck fighting someone like that.
>>
>>1033814
they had precedence in town halls and property ownership
>>
>>1033308
>Boudica was flogged, her daughters raped, and Roman financiers called in their loans.
>>
>>1034452
yeah but they also would weigh less making them better on horseback. women are also excelent spies and sabotuers.
>>
>>1033351
>>1033454
House Mormont you tosspots. Maege, Dacey, Alysanne

Nymeria (historical). Obara Sand.

That gladiator chick in Meereen.
Pretty Meris in the Windblown.
>>
>>1033454
>290 years ago, in well recorded history
>mythical

Shit dude you probably think Washington was just a legend.
>>
>>1035680
>to be fair people 300 years ago (let alone thousands)
>were fucking manlet pieces of shit.
Except they weren't.
>>
>>1035762
t. Neckbeard
>>
File: angry_englishman_on_4chan.png (429KB, 680x1089px) Image search: [Google]
angry_englishman_on_4chan.png
429KB, 680x1089px
>>1033601
Yup that explains her battle feild injuries a lot she sure never saw combat
>>
Just fyi fantasy doesn't necessarily mirror history, it would be more meaningful to look at the history of fiction with its myths and legends and the history of culture as to why people would consider a certain story element a novel idea than to look at actual historical events directly
>>
>>1036215
>women are also excelent spies and sabotuers.
what an inane comment.
>>
>>1037715

"Battlefield" injuries.
>>
>>1037787
So it was rape?
>>
>>1037798

They burned that bitch alive.

No telling what they did once they initially caught her, or while she was in confinement.
>>
Fantasy is entertainment and more variety in the fighters is great, no matter how silly it gets.
I love me some female paladin in RPGs.
>>1033326
This man has it down tho
>>
>>1037820
Probably nothing.
>>
>>1033285
>What's the deal with female knights? Were they ever a thing

the fuck do you reckon
>>
>>1035762
Excavations show the average medieval soldier to be about 4cm shorter than the average modern man. I don't know where you get better fed and healthier from. You think our culture of fast food, sugar and red meat is healthy?
>>
File: Jeanne_d'_Arc_(Eugene_Thirion).jpg (91KB, 771x1082px) Image search: [Google]
Jeanne_d'_Arc_(Eugene_Thirion).jpg
91KB, 771x1082px
>>1037787
>>1037820
Her virginity was checked my noblewomen twice. Her battlefield injuries were a foot injury from a caltrop, an arrow "a handswidth deep above the breast" which made her fall from a ladder, and an arrow that "transversed" her leg.

When she was informed that she was going to be executed, she exclaimed, "Alas! Am I to be so horribly and cruelly treated? Alas! That my body, clean and whole, which has never been corrupted, should this day be consumed and burned to ashes! Ah! I would far rather have my head chopped off seven times over, than to be burned!". She wasn't raped.
>>
>modern fantasy just being politically correct?
I just want to say that the idea of female fighter is far from being born in modern fantasy and that it was always a part of role playing games, way before people thought about political correctness.
Talking from a /tg/ angle, people want to play as female knights because they want to play as female knights.
>>
>>1038561

Actually she was raped dozens of times while in prison. They gave her men's clothes or nothing to wear, so she put on the men's clothes thinking wearing something would be better protection than going naked. They then cited her usage of men's clothes as an example of deviancy.
>>
File: gozen.jpg (287KB, 800x1201px) Image search: [Google]
gozen.jpg
287KB, 800x1201px
How about the military women in classical Japanese history?
There were plenty of women in the Bushi/Samurai social class in the classical period, and were typically trained in combat just as a boy from the same class would. While the women were generally expected to use their skills to protect their homes while most men went to war, there has been evidense of plenty of female warriors joining their male counterparts on the battlefield.
Pic related. Tomoe Gozen, one of the most commonly known female warriors of the Kamakura period.
>>
>>1033285
>it must be political correctness, not the fact that female warriors are cute and cool
I hate this /v/ meme
>>
File: 1452027466451.jpg (19KB, 395x396px) Image search: [Google]
1452027466451.jpg
19KB, 395x396px
>>1033350

Got any sources on that?
>>
>>1033285
Only in pagan Scandinavia would women be allowed on battlefields. How do you squeeze a woman inside those huge armors? Also, women could not receive titles of nobility unless they were married to noble men.
>>
>>1039027

Shield maidens were very rare.
>>
>>1034505
>using cracked as a source for anything
please just leave
>>
>>1039027
If the armor was huge it'd be easier to squeeze into it I think.
>>
>>1034523
It Would make sense in a case of shield users who fight in formation. So big shield protect yor center an most exposed areas are arms, head and legs not a dick.
>>
>>1039027
>Only in pagan Scandinavia would women be allowed on battlefields

Shield maidens are an ancient Norse meme.
>>
>>1039027

>women could not receive titles of nobility unless they were married to noble men.
Who the hell told you that?
>>
>>1038571
Are you sure? I thought people wanted to play as female knights because they didn't want to play as female knights
>>
File: 1461167109692.jpg (55KB, 960x480px) Image search: [Google]
1461167109692.jpg
55KB, 960x480px
>>1033289
>Mulan was real
>>
>>1033285

of course they fucking weren't a thing, the fact that there's maybe 10 notable "warrior women" of renown in all history and that they are so renowned and legendary is further evidence that they were such a fucking anomaly, and most of them were figureheads or straight up fiction
>>
>>1033850
That is true with everyone when talking about most things
>>
File: castorstory_1740403f.jpg (18KB, 220x293px) Image search: [Google]
castorstory_1740403f.jpg
18KB, 220x293px
>>1033458

Lol
>>
>>1033832

>Colchester
>capital of Roman Britain
>populated by Roman army veterans specifically to keep down rebels
>Poorly defended
>>
>>1038809
>They gave her men's clothes or nothing to wear, so she put on the men's clothes thinking wearing something would be better protection than going naked. They then cited her usage of men's clothes as an example of deviancy.
Yes.
>Actually she was raped dozens of times while in prison.
No. Her virginity was found to be intact when checked by noble ladies. The only reference to rape at the Trial of Nullification is that she told a priest that a guard assaulted her, but that she fought him off. And:
>Alas! That my body, clean and whole, which has never been corrupted, should this day be consumed and burned to ashes!
>my body, clean and whole, which has never been corrupted
There's absolutely no evidence that a rape occurred.
>>
>>1040628
>I have no clue what a figurehead is: The post
>>
>>1038561

The Muslims tell of how Muhammad ascended to heaven on a horse when he died.

The Jews tell of how "god" supposedly talked to Moses while he was alone in the mountains.

The ChristJews tell of how a Jew named Jesus was supposedly the son of "god" and died for our sins.

There's all kinds of bullshit written about all kinds of people, anon, but that doesn't make it true.
>>
>>1042851
Joan d'Arc's original trial transcripts are still extant.
>>
>>1042907
And?

There were trials back then that told how people committed acts of witchcraft and shit.

That's meaningless.
>>
>>1042916
It's as meaningful as any other contemporary historical document. Or do you disregard all ancient texts because you can't know with certainty that everything they contain is completely true?

The contemporary sources of the trial state that rape was a concern of some parties, but that it didn't happen. The evidence that rape did in fact occur is nonexistent.
>>
>>1042938
My contention is, and has always been, that historical documents can never be viewed as completely accurate due to the propensity of people to lie to support an agenda, or simply out of ignorance. While there is certainly some truth in historical documents, without doing the proper research, knowing what that truth is can be more challenging than simply reading a wiki page.
>>
>>1043044
Last time i checked thats not how it works, you need evidence to prove something, those documents do. You have nothing that states otherwise or can otherwise refute it.

If we went with your way we would still be in the fucking stone age, Just because its old does not make in moot.

Alot of our world is based on these kinds of things.
>>
>>1043060
>Last time i checked thats not how it works, you need evidence to prove something, those documents do.

That's what the idiots say about the bible, the quran, the torah, and every other piece of shit religious literature.

I suppose you believe all of that bullshit too...
>>
>>1043091
Last time i checked we cannot see god, or hear him, so we have plenty of evidence to counter the bible or any religious text. That does not apply to what were talking about however.
>>
File: jennie-hodgers.jpg (15KB, 240x352px) Image search: [Google]
jennie-hodgers.jpg
15KB, 240x352px
Not a knight, but we do have a fair number of examples of female soldiers that end up getting discovered when they try to masquerade as men.

Jennie Hodgers is a good example. Fought in the American Civil War, was wounded, was once captured and escaped by overpowering a prison guard. Fought in over 40 battles total, she has a stellar record as a soldier. The only reason we know about her is because she was discovered once she got old and the news made it into a big deal. Before professional news media we just lost any record of the Jennie Hodger's of the world.

Were there female knights? Probably quite a few women were professional soldiers all throughout history. Almost all of them would have had to pretend to be men, and they are very unlikely to be remembered in any capacity. We're unlikely to ever discover records of women who pretended to be men to become Roman Legionnaires or fought in the endless wars of Europe as a "knight". We know they existed - but they were mostly just line soldiers and largely aren't recorded by history.
>>
>>1043104
Oh, but not according to you, anon, as it is clearly documented by some asshole that some religious dude did some supernatural shit, so since it's been documented, it must be true.
>>
>>1043125
Clearly you did not read
>>1043060
>you need evidence to prove something, those documents do. You have nothing that states otherwise or can otherwise refute it.
>>
>>1043125
Additionally, since both claims are made, however cannot be proven, such as one person can see or hear god.

Billions of people claim to, others don't. This is a gray area of discussion, this context is more philosophical so its more of up to the person.
>>
>>1043135
>Clearly you did not read

Right back at you.

We're done, anon.
>>
>>1043154
Are you actually comparing the plausibility of a trial record to religion?

Like jesus christ i bet your really into conspiracy theories.
>>
>>1040660
>Old, probably crippled, past their prime veterans vs an army of healthy young in their prime men
If I remember correctly she killed a shitton of women and children too.
>>
>>1043154
Don't worry, I get it. Personally, I don't believe in any documentation produced before the 20th century because aliens might have stolen and replaced all of our records. There is no evidence that show otherwise after all.
>>
>>1033289

>implying boudicca was a knight

Well before Knights existed
>>
Women have, throughout history, also participated in war and rulership. Not everyone has been a damsel in need of rescue, or just some local maiden who only dreams of motherhood. People have dreams and desires for greatness and glory, and this isn't /r9k/ where women are just objects of lust who deny men's passions--history has shown that people will do crazy, stupid things to get what they perceive as their dreams, including women. Very few were knighted (Order of the Glorious Saint Mary), but those who fought were both noble and common.
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/29612161/
Search for post 29613630 and continue off of there. Sources listed for the latter half.
>>
>>1042839

>he thinks that Emperess Matilda, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Isabella of France and Margaret of Anjou were just figureheads

Lol
>>
>>1033720
Modern weaponry you dont really have to be strong to use though, unlike a sword. The only problem with having women in combat is they cant carry as much and have less endurance, but i imagine extra training can fix that.

Also they could get raped but tht's a whole other thing.
>>
>>1034104
>even in modern point-click and cry for air support combat they suck ass.

Source?
>>
>>1034650
Underrated post. They were essentially land owners that just happens to have the money to own equipment and horse in order to fight effectively in battles.
>>
>>1035375
LEADER
>>
>>1033289
None of those were knights
>>
>>1047920

Give the man a break, all he had to work with were women.
>>
>>1042907
Jeanne d'Arc or Joan of Arc.
>>
>>1033285
"Female knight" is an oxymoron, it is a profession and title that is by definition male, however there are historical records of genuine women combatants and presumably some women would fight in the uttermost end of need. Eleanor of Aquitaine for example went on crusade, and Matilda of Tuscany commanded armies in the field.
>>
>ctrl f
>no Catalina de Erauso
Not a knight but still a warrior.
Also it seems like female warriors could make a handsome living just from escorting noblemen's daughters, as women are unlikely to deflower other women
>>
the order of the hatchet was all female
>>
>>1033877
well some knights were fat and lazy and didnt want to fight.
didnt NOT make them knights.
>>
>>1037715
got the source on the jeanne d'arc picture?
>>
Order of Santiago - Spain - also female order

Order of the Band - spain - only for nobles and kings (of Castile) - also female order of band

Order of the Hatchet - Spain - only female order
Thread posts: 164
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.