[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>>>/mu/73681469 >so I paid this guy $600 to design

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

File: 1498908696726.jpg (13KB, 640x467px) Image search: [Google]
1498908696726.jpg
13KB, 640x467px
>>>/mu/73681469
>so I paid this guy $600 to design a cover for my new math rock album, I told him to "go crazy" and "experiment a little" and this is what he sent me.

what do you guys think? Would this album cover turn you off? I'm not sure how to feel about it.. I mean I spent 600 fucking bucks on this thing and it's kinda cheap looking. not sure what to do.
who is wrong here? The designer or the client?
>>
This can't be true. If it is though, thanks for the laugh.
>>
>>313288
>The designer or the client?
probably both, the client for not checking the artist portfolio or for not asking to see some sketches before moving on, and the artist for not questioning the client and guide him or her through out the process.
>>
>>313291
>the client for not checking the artist portfolio
he said it's a good designer so he must have checked it
>>
To be honest, it does make you look at it at least twice...
>>
File: 15356671.jpg (88KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
15356671.jpg
88KB, 960x960px
>>313288
should have ordered a cover from /ourguy/ -> instagram.com/niko101st/
>>
>>313288
It's one of the best Math Rock albums of the decade, to be fair
>>
I remember seeing that post on s4s a while ago. Yeah, OP, you got scammed.

Try it, though. For an album cover, it actually isn't half bad.

It's definitely funny. Imagine if p4k gave it bnm.
>>
You should have looked at his previous work first. And you did say that you wanted something experimental. It's not bad, though. It looks deliberate and if you do everything else around it in high quality it will just look avant garde.
>>
>>313288
it would stand out on a shelf
>>
Now i'm curious, what would actually happen in a situation like this?
He technically finished the job and taste is subjective. Depending if he got payed in advance, can a designer just give any rubbish to a client and get away with it?
And even if client didn't pay in advance would they have to pay in the end for a shitty design if they didn't like the end result because the job was technically completed?
>>
>>313288
there's no turning back
that's now your cover
the internet has decided
>>73759231
>>
>gives no constraints or direction whatsoever
>explicitly tells designer to do whatever
>doesn't at least check in periodically to see progress

Literally asking for it
>>
>>313523
if you say "just fuck my shit up fampai" and your shit gets fucked up, that's on you
if you don't pay and get away with it, that's because a lawyer would take more than you owe, not because you shouldn't have paid
>>
>>313288
This is tight hahahahahaha
>>
>>313288
>so I paid this guy $600

Did you look at his portfolio?

Here is mine if you want to get stuff done on a professional level.

http://dallashoisington.tumblr.com/
>>
>>313299
>he must have checked it

I don't think he did.
>>
>>314597
jesus christ mate I just ate..
>>
File: f82.jpg (77KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
f82.jpg
77KB, 1024x576px
>>314597
this can't be serious
>>
>>314599
>>314602
>this can't be serious
>OP dropped $600 for a shit design.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
>>
>>314597
This is a portfolio just shows that you know how to properly use design software. Please go study a bit of actual design/art and its history and come back later.
>>
>>314618
>Please go study a bit of actual design/art and its history and come back later.

Sure. It's not like I had Stan Lee, Hustler, Lance Bass, Rupual, Latrice Royal, Trixie Mattel, Pen & Teller, Fess Parker Winery, Archie comics, Pantages, Center Theatre Group, Jimmy Kimmel, Famous Monsters, Toki Dokie, So So happy, Neil Adams, EC Comics, Skellanimals, Dave n Busters, Ross Mathews, Three dog night & Freda Payne on my roster of clients I have done designs for.

So please. Tell me more on me going back to art history on what I already don't know. Once again beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
>>
>>314623
>http://traditionalhoisington.tumblr.com/
>traditional
>muh eye of beholder

you need to be killed imo
>>
>>314625
>you need to be killed imo

Anon is obviously mad. Listen, at the end of the day. It really is about what the beholder likes.
>>
>>314623

Yeah I'm sure Stan Lee has vaporwave meme designs all over his office. Fuck off back to high school.
>>
>>314634
>I never get cool clients, just difficult people who want fee shit.

Fixed.
>>
That's your fault for giving creative freedom to a graphic designer. Should've asked an actual artist to do it.
>>
>>314630
Yeah, and I'd like to see you're head on a pike
>>
>>314688
>I only do insults because that's how I win arguments and critiques. It totally shows that I have nothing else to do.

I fixed that for you too, buddy.
>>
>>314623
If you're so tough, why don't you prove it? I can enumerate names too.
>>
>>314697
I didnt insult you a single time, learn to read
>>
>>314698
>If you're so tough,

This is /gd/ not /fit/.

>>314699
>I didnt insult you a single time, learn to read

Either way you're jelly as fuck.
>>
>>314705
Jelly of what? You're "art" is disgusting and I'd kill myself if I were you
>>
>>313288

>would this album cover turn you off
It stands out. I'm not a math rock listener but it is definitely unique. Seems a bit low-res however but that's probably just the image you posted.

>kinda cheap looking
Yes, but that's what makes it different. It is weird, experimental in colour AND subject matter – just as you told him to do.

I would personally ask to see the process work to see how he ended up at this, but really I think it serves it's purpose. As long as it is cropped properly and maybe accompanied by some decent typography I think it would work. However if we knew the album title/theme etc we could probably form a better opinion.
>>
THIS IS FUCKING INCREDIBLE. USE IT.

however do get him to make something else for you also. 600 bucks is too fucking much for that.
>>
>>314645
I've done work Abraham Lincoln, Gandhi, Jesus Christ, and Death.

See that? That bullshit means just as much as your bullshit. Nice "clients" though, I'm sure you made MILLIONS.
>>
>>314597
if you could stop allowing PZA to make music that'd be great.
>>
>>313288

>ITT; /gd/ tells op that's an amazing design for his album art even though it's shit. Shits on an actual graphic designer because everyone is a en edgy 13 year old.
>>
>>314851
>Shits on an actual graphic designer
stop samefagging so hard please
>>
>>314851
actual designers don't post here you fuck BYE
>>
File: 1287027990421.jpg (29KB, 376x392px) Image search: [Google]
1287027990421.jpg
29KB, 376x392px
>>314883
>actual designers don't post here you fuck BYE

You're right guy who can't use a comma to save his life. Actual designers do not post here. Only 13 year old edge lords do. My bad. I apologize for the misconception.

Hey OP. Enjoy your 600 dollar album art you wasted money on.
>>
>>314888
>>being this salty
>>
guys. its bad.
and once again, you misunderstand the question. its not "what is art" "what is life" and the other edgy crap that made this asshole do a bad on purpose design... this was made for a product, the only purpose of the design is to maximize profit. this won't do that. you got bamboozled, op.
>>
>>314597
Yo you fucking suck shit though. Proud of you for making money but your work is literally ass man, I'm surprised how bad this shit is.
>>
>>314705
>jelly

Literally nobody would want to make what you make.
>>
>>315206

This nigga is mad jelly or he wouldn't be makin insults in the first place. Yo lil nigga! where dat portfolio at? where it at?
>>
>>314597
I dunno why people are giving you shit... Jealousy?
>>
>>315330
Samefaging.
>>
>>315193
The designer followed the design specifications. How can you look experimental without making something that really shakes up the client? The design was great in that way... It looks experimental which is harder and harder to do
>>
>>315331
>>315330

Being this salty, samefagging and STILL posting. Jesus fuck dude has nobody ever told you that your work is shit? Are you this fucking sensitive to criticism?
>>
>>315193
>the only purpose of the design is to maximize profit.
That's not the designer's job. He wasn't told "Do a design that maximizes profit", that's not up to you to assume that.
Maybe being commercial is not part of the music. Maybe is not intended to LOOK good. Maybe it's intended to look offensive? You thought about that?? Of course not.
Fuck if I know, but you are a shitty designer if you do "what you think will be best for the client" instead of "what the client tells you to do"
>>
>>315347
>calls your work shit
>think's insults are criticism

Pick one dip shit.
>>
>>313288
I actually like it
>>
>>315386
It's a little of both to be honest. If you follow the client's every whim you're not a designer, you're a Photoshop monkey that could easily be replaced by some Pajeet for pennies on the dollar. If you don't take the brief into consideration at all, you're not a designer you're making (in this case very shitty) fine art.

As a designer it's your job to understand WHY the client wants what they do and how that fits into their overall goals. They're not experts in this field and don't always understand the terminology or theory - it's your job to interpret and explain things for them.

Say you bring a client some proofs for an event poster and they say "I don't like the text, make it bigger." Now, there are 3 possibilities: either the text is the perfect size and they're just overbearing, it really is too small, or there's something else about the composition that doesn't meet their needs but they don't know how to express that because they're not well-versed in shit like gestalt and colour theory. Maybe what they actually want (or need) is for you to remove some of the irrelevant info or use a thicker sans serif font, or maybe the background is too busy or the tracking is a little too high so the text feels disjointed or they don't understand why you didn't place it in the dead center of the page.

Sometimes it can be like pulling teeth and sometimes people really are just stubborn cunts with horrible taste, but if you're not communicating with the client you're a shitty designer full stop.
>>
>>315331
>>315347
I am not that guy though
>>
>>315386
I think that is the purpose of every work situation in capitalism
>>
>>315397
Two separate questions, dipshit.
>>
>>315470
>turns out he was wrong about samefagging.
>still thinks insults are criticism.

Talk about being an ignorant fuck.
>>
>>315474
judging by your complete lack of reading comprehension, you're probably the same pajeet that claims to sell vaporware memes to stan lee

so, kindly fuck off and stop making this shitty board even worse than it already is
>>
>>315517
>He never said he sold vaporwave memes to Stan Lee
>anon's 13 year old mind projects real fucking hard to a point where he is a goddamn mome.

Get your shit together nigga.

> pajeet; uses memes that will be forgottten in the next 5 minutes.
>stop making this shitty board even worse than it already is
>implying that this board is perfect

This board was shit to begin with, buddy.
Your opinion, I mean,"Critique" is very arbitrary. Why don't you kindly fuck right off.

Actually. Why don't you go and pull off a classic Mitchell Henderson. No one won't miss you.
>>
>>315530
>>being this fucking thick and full of sodium

as an outsider, what are your thoughts on intelligence?
>>
>>315538
>as an outsider

We're done. You had me at outsider.
>>
made me kek
>>
Y-you too
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.