[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start making some Vaporwave designs. I get the general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: download.jpg (14KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14KB, 284x177px
I want to start making some Vaporwave designs. I get the general aesthetic, colours, typefaces etc but where does a lot of the inspiration come from?

I'm interested in creating more vector based designs as opposed to glitching
>>
File: O6Vl2KG.gif (248KB, 896x860px) Image search: [Google]
O6Vl2KG.gif
248KB, 896x860px
watch old murrican and japanese commercials

pay attention how product packaging differed from the current ones, such as coke cans

video 3d gfx demos from 80s etc

https://www.youtube.com/user/VintageCG

learn about designs of the old apple computers and UIs from 80s and 90s, commodore, nextstep, winders 95, DOS program UIs etc

apple 80s futuristic prototype product designs

80s/early90s anime

japanese video game console variants

vector screens

pixel dithering effects

try to have some more research groundwork for creating something unique instead of just slapping some borderline cringeworthy le retro sprite cough syrup blue and pink photoshop farts together. don't just imitate the imitation, that's shallow.
>>
>>312592
i had the same urge to make vaporwave. im watching this video now and his first image looks pretty cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arA2tyUUbCY
>>
>>312600
i'm pretty glad these things actually make people learn to work in graphics editors and some stuff about composition and colors, but maybe keep in mind this kind of an ironically-sloppy direction has been done to death, so if you later ask for criticism on /gd/ or wherever people may just be bored by it. then it's also hard to give any criticism cuz it's supposedly supposed to be sloppy shit. that said, do what makes you happy and involved with computer graphics, it's not a bad start.

it's kind of silly to see these daily stormer, alt right folks who have suddenly jumped on an 5 year old trend and think it's sooo cool and 'in with the kids now' although part of the original aesthetic is copious drug use / abuse, ironically listening to shitty hiphop and romanticizing mental illness.

here's some stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!Exs1hTyC!UgeAS5rMvrSxb0Hzi0315A
>>
File: 1486617983680.jpg (646KB, 1791x1815px) Image search: [Google]
1486617983680.jpg
646KB, 1791x1815px
>>312592
I know this is some retarded Fashwave example, but pic related is a style that I really like, and seems kinda related to Vaporwave.

OP I advise you to check following video, I know it's cringe as hell but it is well inspiring if you want to tap into mindset of 90's CYBERSPACE for Vaporwave-creating purposes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXpfdq3WYu4
>>
>>312602
>it's kind of silly to see these daily stormer, alt right folks who have suddenly jumped on an 5 year old trend and think it's sooo cool and 'in with the kids now'
I really don't get this too. When I see Fashwave, nothing really inspiring comes to mind, I only see how some art school reject alt right kid made a bunch of those in Photoshop and now another bunch of acne-ridden larpers or white babyboomers circlejerk over "how they are gonna win culture war and make everybody fash" or whatever.
>>
>>312604
i also don't think there's much to it, the other day i saw this video and i like the violent sensibility it expresses with the uncanny feeling sped-up footage and the aggressive music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0olc3qJjLM
>>
File: 1497225319147.jpg (367KB, 1200x1798px) Image search: [Google]
1497225319147.jpg
367KB, 1200x1798px
>>312607
That particular video is pretty interesting. Reminds me of a time when I was in high school and was really interested in history, so I made video compilations with aggressive music playing on the background of different soldiers storming on the battlefield, clips of tanks, bombers, military marches and such.

The problem is that as 24 years old now and a full-time graphic designer, I can't make much use of this military or history stuff, even the aspects of it, in my professional work. The aesthetics of fashwave are very obviously hijacked from people who create vaporwave because they like old computers and 80's fonts and stuff, and if I look at vaporwave creators today, they are really pushing the style to some interesting paths, but this fashwave thing seems pretty locked in and doesn't go anywere.

Pic related, example of exquisite vaporwave designs.
>>
File: cover.jpg (6MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
6MB, 3000x3000px
>>312610
sure

i think artists should look broader regarding this nostalgic art and net art. musicians like Oneohtrix Point Never, Blank Banshee, PC Music, pic related, even Com Truise to some degree, they do somehow innovative things with it
>>
>>312604
>>312602
wait, alt-right kids are adopting vaporwave? im just hopping back on the train because i thought id hate it after afew years, but i still like the way it looks. Some of it gets way too meme-y, but some of hit has this weird warholian style that i like
>>
>>312610
isnt flashwave more like a satirical approach? Like half of the "trump wave" pictures were made by some stoned artschool kid who was bored as fuck and thought it was funny, right?
>>
>>312621
kind of, but they release super-generic synthwave, don't bother with any interesting graphic art to accompany it, slap the word 'fascism' on it and cum themselves

https://www.dailystormer.com/xurious-releases-new-album/
>>
>>312623
in other words, beating the joke to death and then some more.
>>
>>312623
well fuck it, im not going to let them ruin vaporwave aesthetic for me. (also, part of me thinks its just vaporwave oldfags who are trying to take back "le meme" from the normies, like they did with pepe)
>>
>>312627
i think large portion of the whole movement started on /mu/ when someone made and posted those symmetric over the top compositions with anime girls, gansgsta rap attributes, early 2000s cartoons etc and /mu/ is one of the most liberal artsty fartsty boards
>>
>>312623
>>312621
The thing is that vaporwave is at least semi-ironic, but this fashwave/trumpwave thing like this Xurious stuff gets cringey because the young kids seem to unironically enjoy this stuff.

I can already imagine Andrew Anglin and his Daily Stormer crew promoting stuff like this and stroking themselves over "winning the culture war" while they don't realize that no "normies" even appreciate this content, only alt-right meme kids. I wonder what is the next thing they will steal and slap their swastikas and Hitler quotes over?

>>312628
/mu/ is a huge circlejerk with it's soundcloud threads from amateur DJ's and what not. Only interesting aspect of them are the Grimes general threads. I don't listen to her anymore but seen Grimes live and her music videos, and I think she has some interesting aesthetics going on.
>>
>>312631
for many of them their political movement and criticism of the left, normies, jews etc takes such a large part of their free time that they are clueless about anything else. pol is such a large board, but there are so little drawfags, they all seem so autistic that they can't draw anything.

/pol/ art threads are such a cringefest, sure, all that classical art is great and a large part of modern art is jewish moneylaundering, but they are completely unable to objectively evaluate modern visual art, architecture etc, comprehend the idea that a satisfying visual composition doesn't have to be representational of reality etc

i've seen twitter account inspired by them that supposedly promotes the beauty of pre-modernist architecture and these people jack off to gaudy modern styrofoam knockoffs of this architecture as if it's some kind of great revival, since they don't actually have knowledge or taste in these things
>>
>>312637
I was one of these alt-right kids who browsed /pol/ immensely for entire 1 year and only now I have begun to see they have made an echo chamber for themselves. I was mostly annoyed by how they claim to be "about harsh truth" but ignore the facts that do not match their narrative and call me a "JIDF shill" for bringing them up.

I too don't like much of the modern art BS or any of the social justice pursuits from the left, but similarly cringey is opening a youtube account with greek statue avatar and pretending to appreciate roman archidecture and classical music because "muh western civilization". I personally don't think you can "appreciate" archidecture when you don't actually try to study books on it or compare to it in real life, but instead you look at Google Images and spam them on /pol/. Also, can you really "appreciate" classical music when you don't really care about the composition, but only listen because it sounds "like a white thing to do"?

Not saying you must be autistic about it to like anything, but pretending to like something without wanting to understand it is exactly the hipster-behavior they so much loathe from the liberals.

Pic related, good example of how modern archidecture can look nice, something /pol/ disregards when they post those brutalism-style abomination and go on a "JEWISH ARCHIDECTS DESTROYING THE PROUD ARCHIDECTURE OF EVROPA REEE" rant.
>>
>>312627
vaporwave is oldfag territory, but especially vaporwave oldfags aren't into that shit. i don't like to adopt the poltard terminology like degenerate and race traitor, but it's literally an aesthitic by substance-abusing burnouts who wish they were japanese soooooooo yeah.

>>312637
all commissioned art is for conspicuous consumption. it's the same as food. old art just "looks" better because the tens of thousands of off-perspective lifesized portraits of the 18th Earl of Buttefucke bravely leading a charge into some battle he actually spent in his tent suffering from dysentery have long since been burnt or pitched.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.