[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I did a graphic design degree because I thought it was a less

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

I did a graphic design degree because I thought it was a less loser alternative to an art degree.

Now that I am a graphic designer I want to figure out a way to be a full time artist more than ever.

Most graphic designers can't even draw and they wouldn't be able to do anything without able products to help them.

People told me graphic design is more complicated than it is after studying it I have realised it really isn't.

They just trace things to make logos and stick things together in photoshop.

Most of the logos they make are knock offs of something else on pinterest.

and they act like they are super creative artists when most of the time they just arrange text for signs and restaurant menus and shit like this.

The worst part is they don't ever admit it.

Makes me think maybe I should have done photography or an art degree.

Also they often say stupid shit like

"Designers are the people who make the world look nice"

Yeah some designers do.. A lot of graphic design is just ugly crap that takes attention away from things that look nice like trees and architecture though.

I'm a graphic designer myself... why can't other designers admit this shit?
>>
File: 41.png (339KB, 684x580px) Image search: [Google]
41.png
339KB, 684x580px
Multimedia > graphic design
>>
>>310778
Tell me more about multimedia.
>>
>>310778
>"Multimedia" major
literally a fake degree
>>
File: smug.jpg (40KB, 529x352px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
40KB, 529x352px
Media design > graphic design
>>
>>310778
Might as well call it liberal arts because it's the same thing.
>>
>>310777
then don't be like those fake-ass designers, op. don't buy into the stupid beards, overpriced coffee, sticky notes, and whatever other stereotypes you can think of. you mentioned

> A lot of graphic design is just ugly crap that takes attention away from things that look nice like trees and architecture though

then just use your own style.
>>
>>310777
you're describing the majority of people in ALL artistic fields

if you think getting into photograph isn't going to leave you surrounded by girls who think slapping an instagram filter over a picture of a coffee mug and some fern plants makes them creative geniuses ... you're wrong
>>
>>310777
Are you literally me?

Just finished my degree and I feel disillusioned. The more I learned about the profession the more I hated it. Editorial is the only field that is vaguely challenging and interesting. Going back to Art school to do fine arts now since college is free in my country. Gonna wind up as a cab driver probably but at least I
won't have to work with these kinds of people and actually contribute something to our society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Y_swmkPkE
>>
>>310777
Confidence is all you dirtbag
>>
>>310777
Draw and pursue art in your free time, as a job art is soul crushingly shit unless you can get a top position, or somehow manage to get a lot of people buying your stuff.
>>
>>311039
Can you please tell me more about you experience with studying design?
>>
The problem here is a lot of people confuse GD with art .... so if you want to draw ....study art !!! GD is about strategy and communication not to do "thing that look pretty"
>>
>>311576
The problem is though is that graphic design courses are often marketted las if they are more artistic than they are.

Designers often like to make out that they are more creative than they actually are too.
>>
Well it depends of what you understand for "creative" but i agree that a lot of "professionals" not planned a strategy or think anything. only copy things from pinterest or whatever with the excuse of inspiration... but that occurs to artist too.
>>
>>310777
dang son idk who you're working with but if someone rips shit off from pinterest, quit working with/for them
>>
>>310777
What kind of academic shit are you in?
>>
>>311652
Bachelor of graphic design.
>>
If you're this narrow minded and dismissive, you're going to have a really hard time doing fine art.
>>
>>311705
Please elaborate on what you are talking about?
>>
>>310777
you have two options in life,

1) Be the cynic
2) Be a victim

The only real difference, in the second instance you choose not to think outside of what you're told, so that life is easier

The first instance, you see everything for what it is, and it is only more suffering, for you cannot change the victims
>>
>>311725
wow amazing so deep you should write a book about your only two options in life. you must be a wise wise wise man to understand this fundamental truth thank you sensei for sharing this desu senpai
>>
>>310777
I came to this realization a few years ago and decided to study drawing and painting and actively improve on it and it was the best decision I've ever made. But if you think that a graphic design degree was a waste of time that's your fault. You didn't knew how to take advantage of the learning opportunities and decided to limit your field of work to what you think other designers do. If you studied art before going to college that would not have happened.
>>
>>311071
>don't be an artist having a tortured soul is hard

Hm ok Hemmingway
>>
>>311576
Hm no? Graphic design is way more than media/logo/publicity flyer shit. Graphic design is artistic visual communication. Just because you and the people you follow are minimalist logo makers that doesn't mean that graphic design should be pursued as an non high artistic value field
>>
>>311756
Most of the work clients want is dull as fuck.
>>
>>311756
what you're saying is theoretically true but in practicality if you ever want to get PAID you're going to making the same trendy minimalist garbage or whatever the clients think is in style, regardless of your own artistic taste or creativity
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.