[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some essential, even esoteric/unorthodox books to read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: 1491546560766.jpg (67KB, 680x532px) Image search: [Google]
1491546560766.jpg
67KB, 680x532px
What are some essential, even esoteric/unorthodox books to read as a designer?

i.e. if you're into right wing nationalism & survivalism, someone would say "read Evola, Nietzsche, etc".
>>
bump really wanna hear some feedback
>>
>>308503
>right wing nationalism
>nietzsche
You don't have the slightest idea of what you are talking about kiddo.

Not sure if I understand the question though, want something like pic related?

>>308504
>bumping /gd/ after 5 minutes
you must be new here
>>
File: 915z6VMvHTL.jpg (851KB, 1701x2560px) Image search: [Google]
915z6VMvHTL.jpg
851KB, 1701x2560px
>>308512
forgot pic
>>
>>308512
I think they're just asking for essential books for learning about the subject of graphic design, in which case, I think the sticky covers a lot of it.
>>
>>308503
lord of the rings
>>
First off nobody right wing/ alt right would be recommending Nietzsche. Just get yourself a general graphic design book, don't get enamored by anything too far from the point, since you're just starting you want the basics.

Everyone that wants to pursue graphic design will look at something, think "hey, that's what I want to do, that's the kind of designs I want to make" and get way in over their head. You're not going to be able to create the designs you want at first and you need to accept that. Learn the basics, do some tutorials, and adapt the general skills and once you have those, your creativity can take you anywhere.

Hope this makes sense, I've been drinking.
>>
>>308512
>implying Hitler wasn't trying to pave the way for the overman
>>
Since all you're getting is a bunch of MUH GAYDOLF SHITLER from /pol/ spergs who like to linger on this board for some reason, I'll jump in and give you some actual suggestions.

>Penguin Dictionary of Symbols
Great for logo inspiration, and you'll learn a lot of history behind thousands of symbols and their appeals (or lack of appeal) to various cultures.

>Semiotics: A Graphic Guide
Semiotics is an often overlooked component to design. It's the study of signs (being all kinds of visual or auditory signifiers) and symbols, and how they take on meaning/how that meaning is processed. This book breaks down a pretty heady topic with shitloads of helpful and stylistic illustrations.

To better understand how signs and symbols spread:
>Virus of the Mind
Basically centers around the idea of the meme as a pseudo-organism. While there are some design-related passages, this is more of a book about ideas, sentiments, and concepts, the way that they spread, and what makes one better at spreading than another.

Less esoteric, more essential shit incoming:

>The Elements of Typographic Style
>Grid Systems
>Principals of Two Dimensional Design
>Megg's History of Graphic Design
>>
File: flooooy.gif (2MB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
flooooy.gif
2MB, 500x375px
>>308503

Henry David Thoreau
>Walden, or Life in the woods
>Civil Disobedience
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.