[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /gd/. I am looking for some help in figuring proper technique

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1413042595067.jpg (23KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1413042595067.jpg
23KB, 500x500px
Hey /gd/. I am looking for some help in figuring proper technique on any preferred software on how to create a image for a banner that will printed and hung on the side of this building. The banner's dimensions will be 5ft by 10ft. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.
>>
>>304726
illustrator/photoshop
>>
>>304726
use photoshop
buy more ram
if you're at the company i think you're at designing for the event i think you're at, remember that the building it goes on is set back a couple hundred feet from the pedestrian areas and basically no text under a foot high is readable
and remember to get an advance because you're not getting paid after delivery
>>
>>304726
if you're making an image to put onto the banner use Ai so you can scale it up

if you're making a layout for a banner use indesign

don't bother with photoshop its not the right tool
>>
>>304780
so tired of seeing bs like this being spouted around here along with people suggesting 300ppi blindly for large format prints. not all large format work is vector only. even if it is, at some point photoshop will factor into the process.

talk to the printers and ask them what resolutions they recommend for that scale. they'll have far more experience working at those sizes than anyone here.
>>
>>304791
do you even know what indesign is for? calm the fuck down lad
>>
>>304791
I've done this before and the printer expected a 300ppi psd.
>>
>>304780
lamo bro

depends where the banner is placed, it doesn't need to be high res at such a close distance

if its going to be hung on the side of a build its most likely going to be just info as text, a logo, and maybes an image.

300ppi is probs ok, maybe even 600 but 300 is dank

i'd us Ai just cause i'm more comfy with it, but PS is most def the prog you want
>>
>>304798
for works designed to be viewed at a distance 300ppi is entirely overkill.

see:
http://sites.tech.uh.edu/digitalmedia/materials/3351/waite032906.pdf

in op's case let's assume people will be viewing banner from a minimum of 6ft away (conservative estimate) and you have a target LPI of 85. multiplied by 2 the recommended ppi for raster elements would come in at 170ppi.

no one's going to walk up to a 15 foot banner and check to see how crip your fonts are from 6 inches away.

>>304809
>maybe even 600
yeah, maybe if someone was looking over your work under a magnifying glass.
>>
>>304916
You can roll out all the science about resolvable seconds of arc you want, it's not going to stop printers who do most of their business in smaller formats being lazy or corporate oversight - ESPECIALLY external licensing corporate oversight - from demanding "the best".

At least, if you're a professional and your time has any value you're not going to convince them quicker than you can earn the $100 to bump up to enough RAM where it doesn't matter.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.