[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never encountered a single person who was "approached"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1458945363586.jpg (434KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1458945363586.jpg
434KB, 640x640px
I've never encountered a single person who was "approached" by a font creator for using their font "illegally". What would they do, ask every single person who they find using their font for the license?

It's all just scare tactics IMO. Prices are gauged through the roof because big design agencies will pay that much. Yes font creators deserve to be paid, but no freelancer who makes $200 off a single huge project can afford a $200 font weight.
>>
File: 1488880338301.jpg (95KB, 570x779px) Image search: [Google]
1488880338301.jpg
95KB, 570x779px
>>301739
Well you're obviously not a professional. Its not that hard to pay $50 for a font family when you make ~$800/job. I mostly just bill the client for the font. It ain't hard you raging autist. Just buy the damn font, otherwise you degrade the potential income for all of us. Shitskins may steal licensed assets, but that does not mean we should.
>>
Lets just respect the licenses. If you like a font, then you are obligated to pay for your use of it. This is the whole premise of the design industry. The internet and a disregard for this contract is killing design.
>>
>>301753
And this is why you don't make very much on jobs: because someone will just pay a shitskin to steal a design if you charge too much.
>>
Categorical imperative.
Just respect the work of others you teenaged or early 20's turd.
>>
>>301751
Where do you get them so cheap? $50–75 is just one weight, not an entire family, senpai.
>>
>>301758
typo familia. But you shouldnt be buying that expensive of a font family for that small of a job. Go to Creative Market for cheap fonts. If the client requests that expensive of a font family, then they are moronic, and should pay for it themselves if they need that font. You are not their slave.
>>
>>301739
You're right op.
>>
>>301751
I'm a professional. Unless it's a rare font I can't find for free I never pay.
>>
License holders are always present in indie movie festivals and the likes
If you've done graphic design for a movie that's going to be shown somewhere, be prepared to get a visit from the URW mafia
>>
>>301739
You should be getting a different job then if you aren't making enough to afford the font. Your clients should be made aware the cost of font licenses as well to understand that they have a cost.

If anything, you can give them some options with free and paid fonts and be transparent about the additional cost. They then have the option to go with the free option if they're cheap asses. Simple.

You can get into a lot of trouble especially using fonts illegally on websites for example. Desktop licenses are extremely difficult to police in comparison though.

Just be careful, pay your dues and be professional, you otherwise seem like an amateur.
>>
It's the same logic as, even if you see someone using your shit, it's usually not worth it to pursue them. I'd bet almost everyone on here who's done any work in the industry has been ripped off at least once, and I'd bet under 10% of us have lawyered up and spent that $5000 to recover $2000.

That said, the real takeaway is that fonts are the client's problem like any other stock resource. The clever designer doesn't mind adding $200 to the budget when it's just gonna be billed through; in fact, he welcomes the chance to bill it at $220 instead.
>>
>>301739
Yes of course, it's mainly there because if some major hollywood film happens to use their font without permission they will hit the jackpot
>>
First off, good typefaces take a tremendous amount of effort to produce, and type designers deserve to be paid well, because without them, you'd be designing your own typefaces, and let's face it, you probably can't, and if you can, then that takes a fuckload of time. On top of that, how would you feel if someone didn't pay you for your work. Now, there's nothing wrong with having illegal typefaces for your own use, but in a client situation, there is no reason your client's budget can't accommodate a good typeface, and if it can't, fonts.google.com has plenty of decent typefaces.
>>
>>301739

>I learned design from the internetz
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.