[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

alright /b/, I'm in my second semester of my graphic design

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: golden-ratio.jpg (25KB, 575x349px) Image search: [Google]
golden-ratio.jpg
25KB, 575x349px
alright /b/, I'm in my second semester of my graphic design degree and I need help understanding the golden ratio.

when I ask my professors they give me the definition of it but dont explain how to apply it to a logo. I don't understand how to apply the spiral to a logo or design either.

the approach I thought of applying to it was to create a series of circles with the values taken from the golden ratio and overlap them over a sketch of a logo and try to use curves taken from those circles to shape the logo. would that be the correct approach or am I over thinking it?

I know a lot of people may say you dont have to use the golden ratio but I really just want to understand it as another approach.
>>
>>297373
The golden ratio is literally a meme that's been passed down since the ancient Romans (probably even before).

It doesn't have much at all to do with design desu, though some swear by it. A logo made with the GR and one without won't really have any fundamental difference.
If anything, it's more restrictive than creative, because you end up obsessing about the numbers rather than what makes a good design.

Just let it go anon, a firm isn't going so jerk you off because you made a logo with the golden ratio.
>>
>>297374

I may try to dabble in it when I'm making simplistic logos. just to add something to it.

also sorry for calling you guys /b/, I'm a degenerate.
>>
>>297375
No problem /b/
>>
so I'm just curious for other peoples opinion, do you think you can go an entire graphic art career without touching on the golden ratio?

I'm all for never using it but It just annoys me that just when I think I understand how to apply it to designs I get confused again.
>>
>>297373
>alright /b/, I'm in my second semester of my graphic design degree and I need help understanding the golden ratio.

Divide each smaller number by next bigger number.

The magic ratio is 0.61
>>
>>297379

so I don't have to concern myself with the spiral?
>>
>>297380
no also don't listen to these fucks who are to stupid to use the golden ratio.
Just use it and you'll thank me
>>
>>297373
Dont bother with it, just know that some people will require you to do so.
I mostly go by the rule of thirds instead
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds
>>
File: DouadyCouderExp.webm (3MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
DouadyCouderExp.webm
3MB, 240x180px
>>297374
>literally a meme
>>
File: butterflygrid.png (76KB, 624x432px)
butterflygrid.png
76KB, 624x432px
not a même
>>
The golden ratio isn't going to suddenly make a logo good just because you used it.

It's pointless to obsess over making things according to the ratio, and not just good design in general. You'd be skipping out on comps that may be better, but because you feel some pretentious need to use the ratio, you'd rather just go with the weaker composition.

Unless you're making a damn sunflower or nautilus, it's not worth the effort. It's just something designers like to show off to make themselves seem like they knew what they were doing.
Like >>297424
>>
>>297456

I appreciate the input, thank you.

I think the only time I'd ever be tempted to try it is on a logo. I think I would get too annoyed by trying to use it for web design or page lay out designs.
>>
>>297373
>>297374
Golden ratio was meant for art.
Graphic design =/= Art.
That's why you can't find a way to apply it the way it should be into something mundane (logo, crappy pretentious album cover, etc) and thus, think is only a meme.
>>
>>297373
I don't think theres one correct approach op but the solution you thought was the one I used when I was given a similar assignment. Most of the other people are right though. Theres no need to use the golden ratio in most of your work. I think the point of the assignment is probably to make it a habit to see how all of the elements in your work relate to each other. But you can use other means to create those relationships not just the golden ration. so just use your method op, I'm sure it'll be fine.
>>
File: 5.png (340KB, 477x609px) Image search: [Google]
5.png
340KB, 477x609px
>>297373
>golden ratio.
>>
File: IMG_0250.jpg (68KB, 600x371px)
IMG_0250.jpg
68KB, 600x371px
It's for unartistic people in their quest to obtain talent through mathematics. It's like drinking protein shakes without working out.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.