[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any luck on finding a job yet, those of you that majored

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1474256200449.jpg (100KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1474256200449.jpg
100KB, 1920x1080px
any luck on finding a job yet, those of you that majored in graphic design?
>>
>>293254
I landed a graphic design job at a college even though im a programmer.
>>
What about the other way around? How does someone look for a GDer? Do I go to a college or agency? How can I compare rates?
>>
hi, i'm new to this board and I'm a current college student majoring in Design and Media. I was wondering if Graphic design and Web Development are very different. My courses are a mixture of Graphic Design and prepress and Web Development. I'm also wondering what jobs I can get with this degree.
>>
>>293263
>wondering if Graphic design and Web Development are very different
yes web dev jobs (back end) tend to be more on the programming side they ask for experience with php, mysql, apache, js, grunt etc
for graphic design degrees don't matter that much it's all on the portfolio check out the youtube channel theskoolrocks and for web design the video 'watch this if you want to become a web developer'
>>
Made a job instead. Agency is in its 4th year of operation, grew staff from 5 to 8 this quarter, and looking to buy a new building to relocate the shop some time around spring. All in all, it's going well, but the whole perpetually-exhausted-business-owner thing is not a meme.
>>
20% of my grade this semester was to get a job interview and write a paper about it so I had to go on an interview and did get offered the job but I couldn't take it because of my school schedule. Had the offer been for more money I'd probably just drop out and went with it but I'm done with school this week so I sent them an email and I'm gonna try and see if I can still get into that company.

I'm not too stressed about finding a job but my personal website needs to be fixed and so do some portfolio pieces I have so I'm more stressed about that. I wish i was 100% confident in every piece i had.
>>
>>293254
Yup, just graduated this month and been working at the GD agency since July. Quitted to move to a UI/UX job, I like it more than just branding.
>>
How viable would it be, to get loans and funding from my parents, considering my credit is extremely good, and open my open small studio, using the experience from my previous gd jobs that were pretty shitty.
>>
>>293380
Do you have time to work out.
>>
>>293380
Hows it going economically-wise? What does your agency do?
>>
>>293448
Nope. Getting fat. I used to be a cook before starting the agency, ironically I was really fit then. Sprinting around an 80 degree kitchen in a thick chef's coat while hauling laundry-basket-sized tubs of potatoes does wonders for your weight.

Now I sit at a desk basically all day, then come home and sit at another desk for around 50-60hrs/wk. Nutritional choices are my last line of defense against fat.

>>293456
By economically, I assume you mean am I getting paid. At first, it was hell. We were a new agency competing with some dinosaurs that were in the area for decades before we even opened shop and there weren't much in the way of high value clients, so we spent that time churning out bold/risky work that the other agencies wouldn't ever try with small time clients that they wouldn't ever take. One day I literally had nothing else to eat, from morning to night, but granola bars I had in my cupboard. I look back at that time often and haven't taken a single project for granted since. We made enough back then to keep us from getting evicted or getting our power shut off, but not much else. Anything we could spare was reinvested.

Fast forward to 2015-2016, sales doubled and then tripled. We're working with international companies, publicly traded entities, and other big money clients. One of our closest competitors in both proximity and specialty tried to buy us out when we were dirt poor and we refused. Now, we keep hearing about how pissed off they are that so many of their tentpole clients are doing work with us on a regular basis.

This has translated to an actual livable wage for all of us, hiring new talent, and building shopping (which is exciting at first and then rapidly becomes tedious).

What we do in no particular order: Video production and animation, web design, identity design, print design, advertising. You name it. We're all "T-shaped" types, so offering a broad range of services was something we could do early on.
>>
>>293447
Founder here. I don't really know your situation, and even if I did I probably couldn't give a straight answer to that kind of question. But like I wrote in >>293496 I founded my agency with two others who had different skillsets than me, and it was huge for us to offer a variety of services other than straight up GD. Before anybody (anybody important) knows who you are and what you're capable of, you'll need income from wherever you can get it. Unless you've got the good fortune to set up shop in an desperately underserved market (not just an area without an agency, but an area without an agency that actually needs an agency), you probably won't be able to subsist on graphic design alone.

Also, it doesn't take much start-up cash to get an agency going. Rent office space out of a small business incubator for dirt cheap. Utilities are usuall built into the rent in these places, and most offer their members access to shared conference rooms.

The rest is little expenses like filing your LLC (or whatever you decide to incorporate as) and getting equipment, and equipment is mostly dictated by what services you wanna offer. At the end of the day, you won't need much in the way of start-up capital, and if you absolutely need a loan, apply for it as a business instead of you as a person, so if shit goes sideways they'll come for the business and not your own bank account.

tl;dr partner up, stay versatile, and be cheap.
>>
>>293498
whats your site?
>>
>>293498
Thank you brother.
>>
>>293510
Not a chance in hell. Sorry, but I've been lurking since 07, I know how that shit goes.

Jesus fuck. It's been a decade. I've been coming here for a fucking decade. Oh well, I'm overdue for a good existential crisis.

>>293523
NP. Best of luck to you, comrade.
>>
File: int.jpg (893KB, 1200x993px) Image search: [Google]
int.jpg
893KB, 1200x993px
You guys shsould become sign carvers like me.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.