[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm not much of a designer, more of a photographer, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: proxy design.png (387KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
proxy design.png
387KB, 800x600px
I'm not much of a designer, more of a photographer, but I am trying to train myself here and there to get better.

I was wondering if anyone could give a quick tip as to how to achieve these flat look. The purple window in the attached image looks so flat. I'm not sure how to explain it, but I love that look.

Sorry if my description is hard to understand. I'm not really sure how to explain.

tl;dr: how do you achieve the flat sort of lifeless look the purple window has in the attached image?
>>
>>293036
a gradient i guess with the world map almost transparent. do you want to make a website with those colors or a still image?
>>
>>293046
A still image. I will try the transparency as well as the gradient later although I'm not sure if it will yield exactly the same results.

I will see though.
>>
Yo anon - Can you post that design in a higher resolution?
>>
Im pretty sure its in the colors (a lot of it)
Search up some "Flat" color schemes?
>>
>>293036
It's a lot of things

The minimalism, lots of blank space

The dark color scheme, with here and there a bright highlight

The position of the highlights

The contrasting color of the background it's placed on

The rounded edges of the mockup
>>
>>293102
>>293086
eeey, thanks for the info. I'll give it a go next chance I get.

>>293084
Here is the guys portfolio of work:
https://dribbble.com/uixninja
>>
>>293127
is there a course to learn what that ninja is doing?
>>
>>293171
I'm sure if you went online, you can find a plethora of sites and guides teaching good web design. But it seems he's actually gone to school for this school.

This is his site that has his resume on it:
http://uixninja.com/
>>
>>293171
>>293178

I think it's mostly experience, just have fun with it and experiment a lot. See what works and what doesn't. You'll get there. This guy started somewhere, too.
>>
Yea you can learn to do this by just studying a lot UI and experimenting with the way you build you interface. Sketch is definitely a must, as well as a very good knowledge of shading and gradients (that's literally all his work rests on)

Should be noted that his work, like most of dribble sadly, is pure eye-candy. Basically none of it would ever work as an actual website rendered in a browser.
>>
>>293195
changemyip.com
>>
>>293195
best PC alternative to Sketch?
>>
>>293202
Photoshop with Illustrator. Tools don't matter.
>>
>>293211
Well usually whenever someone says "x don't matter" its usually bullshit.

Photoshop is head over heals better than Gimp.

Expensive cameras are always take higher quality and more professional shots.

Professional athletes use expensive high quality gear, not cheap shit on sale.

It's nice to think that these things don't matter, and that creativity reigns supreme. But at the end of the day, they do matter, and working with the right software/gear/whatever, can make a world of difference.

Not trying to insult you, just giving an opinion. I will check out Illustrator though. I'm pretty fluent with Photoshop so it shouldn't be too difficult to get used to. Thanks.
>>
>>293198
mmmh I guess you proved me half wrong, but look how there is zero interaction or user feedback besides some very basic glows. It's eye candy made for pretty screenshots and not for actual use.
>>
File: PROXY WEBSITE.jpg (854KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PROXY WEBSITE.jpg
854KB, 1920x1080px
OP here, for anyone that cares, I gave a shot at it on Photoshop a couple hours ago. The image attached is the result.

I gotta say, for my first website attempt, it came out well. Obviously simply replicating someone elses work is a lot easier than creating from scratch though.
>>
>>293229
hmm for some reason the lighting looks a lot worse on my laptop than the desktop i was working on.

strange.
>>
>>293229
How'd you do the background?
>>
>>293278
I bet he googled "pixel world map" and grabbed something from there.
>>
>>293278
Which background are you referring to?

If you are referring to the background with the light to dark purple gradient and lines, I did that quite easily. You just apply the pattern of the lines to the layer you are working in. Then you create two more layers. One with a gradient from light to dark purple, then another layer with a gradient from dark purple to nothing. That way when combined, you get the effect of fading lines into a darker hue. I can explain further if needed.

If you are referring to the background of the website, specifically the dotted map, I simply googled something like "world map png" and that image came out but in blue dots. I simply selected all the pixels, then applied the color gradient of bright pink and yellow. Then decreased the opacity I believe.
>>
>>293217
knowledge to build your foundation matters more than tools

>Professional athletes use expensive high quality gear, not cheap shit on sale.
>Expensive cameras are always take higher quality and more professional shots.

worst arguement to justify acquiring application knowledge - youre not a professional YET (especially if youre asking the questions first). athletes dont grow up training at the UCLA nor do people give 16 year olds MARK IIIs to start off
>>
>>293295
You are creating a brand new argument. You stated:

>Tools don't matter.

That is what I disagreed with.

Although if you want to discuss what is best for learning, then yeah, get whatever you can afford.
>>
>>293303
No I'm not creating a new argument. I'm not even that guy who made that post. But according to this context (this thread) don't focus on tools (an alt to sketch). Use whatever you have available, even if its pen and paper. Hence

>youre not a professional YET
>>
>>293309
>Expensive cameras are always take higher quality and more professional shots.
>a camera will take more """professional shots"""

lol and arent you a photographer? are you telling me you carry around a blad' and a set of broncolors since it all matters?
>>
>>293283
The line pattern one. Did you make all those lines or is it an image? I'd like more details on the gradient, too, if you don't mind.
>>
>>293338
Alright, well lets see.

First off the line pattern. This is not a line I created nor is it an image I got off the web. It is a preset pattern in photoshop.

Create a new layer, make the color anything, lets say bright red. Double click the layer, this should bring up a box that sort of has a bunch of properties you can change for the entire layer.

Go to pattern and then select the diagonal line pattern, then play around with the adjusters to make it look how you want. These will either increase their thickness as well as some other things. That should be enough to get you started on that.

With the gradient, do you even know what the gradient tool is? If not, google it, then come back. If you don't though, you have a long way to go.

Anyway, create a new layer. Select the primary color to be lets say dark purple, and the secondary color to be light purple. Go to the gradient tool, then shift click on the bottom of the canvas, drag while holding shift to the top of the canvas, then let go. That layer should now have a gradient on it from dark purple on the bottom, changing to light purple on the top.

Now typically that should be enough. But lets say you wanted to do what I did, where you have the gradient, plus the repeating lines, and you want the repeating lines to fade away at the bottom.

So you should already have a layer with the gradient. Double click this layer, and then add the line pattern, which I explained above.

Then create a new layer. Go to the gradient tool, but this time, instead of using both colors, select the gradient option that goes from the primary color to nothing.

Shift click the bottom of the canvas, hold to the top, then let go. Make sure this layer is above the other layer. Now you should have the dark purple on the bottom gradient upwards, covering the lines in the bottom layer, yet still blending in with the color on the bottom layer as well.

Hopefully that all made sense.
>>
>>293223
Can you briefly explain what you are saying? What more could have been added to that site if it did not have that design?
>>
>>293229
Just passing through, but I think it looks pretty good. The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is the huge amount of empty space that the text occupies. I would have the text overlay the pixel map, with a soft descending gradient to reduce visual noise.

I'd make an example, 'cause I'm really bad at explaining shit, but I'm on my phone at my day job.
>>
>>293423
Person who made that here, and I completely agree. Ever since I made that, I keep thinking about how I should have made the text over the map. But it's not really for anything or anyone, so it's no biggie.
>>
i wanna by a proxy plase
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.