[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for genuine career advice from professional Designers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Looking for genuine career advice from professional Designers here

I'm in my 30s and have no career. I'm currently applying for shit office jobs just so I can pay the bills and have no other prospects in sight. It is what it is. I have some GD skills and have been using Adobe suite for years now. I ran an online business selling posters which made a nice bit of income on the side for a few years but is now dead in the water and all my wholesale clients have dried up. I have done a few small freelance jobs; logos, created some pattern designs for a fashion company launch. I need to improve my skills across the board but I have solid grasp of Illustrator, know my way around Ps and I'm learning InDesign.

I dreamt about landing a Junior position somewhere eventually if I could get a decent portfolio together. However, I think at my age and with no degree and an average skillset, I don't have much hope of ever getting a job with an agency. I don't like admitting defeat before I've really started but at my age you start to get more realistic about things.

What do you think my best plan of action should be? Keep working on my portfolio and skills until I feel at least capable of applying for Junior roles? Or focus on freelancing? I feel if I'm going to go for jobs my portfolio needs to be more creative and diverse, if I'm freelancing, I just want to know what is going to make me the most money and to hell with creative satisfaction. I need to know where to focus my studies as time is of the essence for me.

Long post. Apologies. But really need some advice about getting into the industry late and as a self-learner.
>>
>>289845
https://discord.gg/YRHjUWN
>>
You aren't realistic, you're pessimistic. Not only is 30s still very young anyway, but artistic fields are about the freshness of your work and taste. If you want to join an agency, you can. If you want to go freelance, you can.

You won't make 'the most money' as a graphic designer. We are peons in the grand scheme of things. You'll find it as a creative director or business owner.
But if you just enjoy graphic design and want to make a living with it, freelance will make you more money but is much higher maintenance.

If I were you, I'd keep my shitty job and work on a portfolio. Cargocollective / Behance that shit, then go watch THEFUTUR / Roberto Blake videos on youtube on how to get hired / get clients (if you choose freelance).

Godspeed, motherfucker.
>>
>>289845
Since you don't mention anything about getting a degree/certificate, I can assume that is not in your prospects? Maybe its obvious to state, but interviewers definitely care about it. I've got a good job right now and when my boss was interviewing me, he somehow had missed (really HOW?) the part in my resume where I stated that I have an associates in design. When he said he still liked me and my portfolio, he said "But for this design position, we're really looking for someone with a degree in graphic design", to which I replied "I do have an associates and if you'd like to see the certificate, I have it in my folder". I showed him, and he made a note on his paper about me that I have it. A few days later I was hired. Not everyone cares though and I've always firmly believed that as long as your portfolio is great, it doesn't matter... however, it mattered to my boss. THAT SAID, my previous job was my first design job and the criteria in the description was a bachelors MINIMUM, but that hiring manager (who actually works with me now in this new job) did not care about that, he just liked my portfolio and my personality and he straight up told me just that. So, from my experience, which is fairly limited I suppose, it can be hit and miss depending on who is looking into hiring you. I don't know how you present yourself or what you /do/ during an interview, but I do know that as long as your portfolio is stunning, you can get into places you want to be. From your post I understand that you don't have a great portfolio. MAKE IT. Hell, do exactly what I did if you want - I took my best work from college, and created 4 entirely new mock ads (which were print oriented since I was applying for an advertiser publication which is on newsprint paper) showed up professionally, accessible and open and just nailed it. And i think that point is very important - make some fresh stuff with your newest ability and absolutely gear it toward the business you are applying to.
>>
>>289866

I am a pessimist, I admit it. I live in UK and would be happy earning average eventually (about 22 grand I suppose). I'm at a point in my life where I realise I'm not really cut out for the stress and insecurity of running a business having already tried it and I'd just like some security.

>>289877

I don't have a degree and at 34 years old and with no money, it simply isn't an option. I looked at Shillington but even that is going to be 10k plus overall. I just can't afford it. Wish I could.

I think I present myself well. I am not a very outgoing person but I think I have a knack of getting people to like me. My communication skills need work but they are much improved these days.

In terms of my portfolio, its knowing what kind of projects to work on. Looking at the work of others tends to demoralise me as there is so much amazingly good and creative shit out there. My plan was to eventually have about 10 projects to go in my portfolio. There is the business I started so I would obviously include that. I did a freelance job creating designs for a fashion company. Then I was going to produce 3-4 quality logos, a couple of brand concepts and ideally include some print production work (InDesign is where I'm lacking currently). Its overwhelming me I guess but I need to get it done.

>make some fresh stuff with your newest ability and absolutely gear it toward the business you are applying to.

This is another thing. I'm not sure whether to focus on more creative/trendy work or present workhorse, corporate stuff

There is nothing stopping me doing freelance on the side. Spec/contests are fucking awful though.
>>
>>289899
Dude just go to uni. You need £0 cos its all loans. So I went to goldsmiths in london when I was about 23,

You get a loan for the fees and a living loan. You; probs get grands and shit aswel because it wont be based of your income.

It will give you time to relax and figure out what you actually want to do. So the course I did was media and communications, had nooo idea what I wanted to do and ended up being a designer/animator. I made 35k this year and its my first year from finishing.

Where do you live?
>>
>>289918

Mate, I'm 34 and don't even have my Foundation. There is no way I can afford to take out loans and do 3 years at Uni + 2 years part-time at Art college to get my Foundation + money to support myself the whole time. Its just not feasible. I'd be nearly 40 and mired in debt with no kind of life.

Believe me, if I could turn back the clock a decade I would go to Uni in a heartbeat, particularly a London Art school. I have to accept I don't have a degree nor any time to waste. I have to pursue things as best I can in the situation I am in.
>>
File: url.jpg (303KB, 920x891px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
303KB, 920x891px
>>289899
UK designer here. Most agencies I know if wouldn't shy away from hiring you because of your age, there's nothing bad about coming to the profession later in life as long as you can demonstrate the software skills, a good eye for design and of course, willingness to start in a junior role.

You may not have a degree but as someone in their mid 30's you'll have more life experience and can bring a level of maturity to the role that others might not. As long as you're a pleasant person to be around you should be fine. Polish up your back story so you can tell them why you're coming into the industry later in life, and also how the experiences you've had a long the way have improved you.

Go through your portfolio, weed out anything that falls below the general standard. Quality over quantity. Flesh out projects with sketches, early concept draughts, any strategic background work you might have done, moodboards etc. Make sure you're able to take them on a journey with each project. Make sure to get across ideas - if the final outcome of a job wasn't as exciting as you would have liked, show them the stuff you would have done if you could. Great ideas are more important than anything else.

Also, there are plenty of non agency roles out there. I started off working in-house and it was a great way to get a wide ranging design experience, as you're essentially acting as the agency and the client. Look for companies in your local area and see if they are hiring. Try ordinary job sites as well as design-specific ones. Brush up on your knowledge of print production/artworking and get yourself a bit of web design knowledge if you can.
>>
>>289943

Thats great advice, and encouraging. Thanks man.

As you are a professional, can I ask what you would include in a portfolio when you don't have much work? I have come up with a list of project ideas that I was going to work on for the sole purpose of inclusion in mine. I figured brand concepts, logos and some printed matter.
>>
>>290011
in your case , i would simply try to use my existing designs and make whole projects out of them . So instead of 4 random designs , show how you can use design to make whole brand identities . Thats my personal advice .
>>
>>289845
mate , im significantly older than you and dropped out of GD for around a decade with only minor dabbling. I work in a totally unrelated field but have been toying with getting back into creative work. I'm tempted to get into motion graphics, print is dead here and web is flooded with competent creatives.
>>
>>290012

Thanks man

>>290013

That was one of my concerns, the competitiveness of the industry etc. Where do you live?
>>
>>290021
Sydney Australia
>>
Self learner here. I think I myself landed a good job. I get to maintain a website for a company that sells items. They constantly need a GD who can use PS, AE and can basically understand how to add itemes to a website. I get to make postcards for the sales team to send out with each transaction..I love my job and It was easy to get too....
>>
>>290284

How did you find/apply for your job? Sounds like a perfect intro for a self-taught designer
>>
>>289846
That invite is expired nothing comes of it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.