[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about to embark on creating my first portfolio as a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: thumb.jpg (52KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
thumb.jpg
52KB, 600x375px
I'm about to embark on creating my first portfolio as a self-taught designer.

I've been using PS and AI for the best part of a decade, ran an online company selling typographic prints and have worked on a couple of freelance projects which fell into my lap.

I have foundational skills in ID, HTML/CSS and a solid understanding of print production, design theory and history. I do need to work on my skills in these areas but I've decided to basically learn by doing challenging projects as opposed to just spending weeks glued to Lynda tutorials (which I will still use however)

I currently have 3 real world projects I can include. I plan to try and get another couple of logo designs through spec or maybe approach local businesses. I then want to create an ambitious, litho printed magazine/brochure as a personal project and include some personal creative work.

Am I on the right track with my thinking here? My gut instinct is telling me quality over quantity. I understand that explaining and demonstrating how creative decisions were made is essential. But how much emphasis should be put on explaining the working relationship with clients? Should this kind of thing be included in the portfolio or should that wait till you get an interview?

This sounds like a terrible way of phrasing the question but what should be the 'bare minimum' I should be able to demonstrate? I have tons of ideas but I don't want to get bogged down in lots of overly ambitious projects and slow myself down. I'm looking to start applying for jobs within 6 months hopefully.

If anyone has some solid portfolio advice it would be much appreciated.
>>
>>287024
Only use your best shit. Quality over quantity for sure. Tell a story with you samples. They LOVE that. Dont over think it. Mine sucks imo but people think its great. So even if you think,its shit, theres a good chanc3 its fine. At least just judging from your experience
>>
>>287086

Have you landed a job in GD yet?
>>
>>287086
How do you tell a story with unrelated samples?

Do you keep your portfolio clean and simple?
>>
They say to include your best pieces in a portfolio

If you are a newcomer to design and don't have many pieces, should you just include what you have?

I really need to get a portfolio together but I'm finding the idea of it quite overwhelming. I think I have imposter syndrome being self-taught
>>
bumpn
>>
>>287773
>If you are a newcomer to design and don't have many pieces, should you just include what you have?
No. Don't put anything in your portfolio you're not 100% happy with. You won't feel good when someone looks at it and it may rub off on whoever is looking at it. If you simply don't have enough work for a reasonably sized portfolio then just keep making work that you are happy with until you do.
Sleep on a piece of work if need be before you feel happy enough to bung it in
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.